Help!! I'm drowning in shipping options

Wikiposts

Help!! I'm drowning in shipping options

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:12 am
Just Joined

jay london is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Help!! I'm drowning in shipping options

Hello all,
We’ve finally agreed a timeline for our move from London to Toronto and have started looking at shipping companies to move all our stuff. Has anyone had any experiences with any of them or would recommend one. So far, I’ve had visits from Dolphin Moves, Robinsons and perhaps one of the biggest; Excess Baggage Co.
Looking forward to those tips!
Jay
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!! I'm drowning in shipping options

Alas my tip would be yet ANOTHER moving co., Britannia
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

They all seem to offer a similar service. On here Fox and Britannia seem to be reported as the cheapest and I have found that to be the case.

My advice would be to get quotes from those who are generally cheap then if you really prefer another company uses those quotes to barter.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
They all seem to offer a similar service. On here Fox and Britannia seem to be reported as the cheapest and I have found that to be the case.

My advice would be to get quotes from those who are generally cheap then if you really prefer another company uses those quotes to barter.
Thanks for the names. Just been on the Fox site and they seem to offer online quotes rather than coming out and seeing what is going. With the few that I have had so far, it seems that the better ones will go to the trouble of visiting and being more accurate.

I only say this as I have awkwardly large sofe suite which, having read other threads, it would be worth while taking.
Jay
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
Alas my tip would be yet ANOTHER moving co., Britannia
Thanks Iain Mc, i've pinged off a request...let's see what they come back with.
Jay
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jay london
Hello all,
We’ve finally agreed a timeline for our move from London to Toronto and have started looking at shipping companies to move all our stuff. Has anyone had any experiences with any of them or would recommend one. So far, I’ve had visits from Dolphin Moves, Robinsons and perhaps one of the biggest; Excess Baggage Co.
Looking forward to those tips!
Jay
Hi Jay

We used Robinsons and found them very good. Our container arrived quickly and everything was in one piece.

Good luck

Julie
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jay london
Thanks for the names. Just been on the Fox site and they seem to offer online quotes rather than coming out and seeing what is going. With the few that I have had so far, it seems that the better ones will go to the trouble of visiting and being more accurate.

I only say this as I have awkwardly large sofe suite which, having read other threads, it would be worth while taking.
Jay
I had a full quote from FOX. I too would not consider any who only offered online quote.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

edinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to all

what about GB liners , i contacted them today , seem very helpful
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:21 am
Just Joined

projectbliss is an unknown quantity at this point

We used Robinsons. As well as being the cheapest option they were also efficient, courteous and super-quick. We have moved our stuff all over the world (New Zealand, US, France, back to UK twice) with loads of different companies, but Robinsons were as good as any.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

Have sent you a PM.

Lynne
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

I've said it before, but I will say it again.

I firmly believe it's a lottery.

Unless the service you are offered in writing from a company differs greatly from other other companies, just go with the cheapest.

Once you have booked you have no control over who packs, which ship, who unpacks etc.

You pays your money and you takes your chance!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

I have had an online quote from Fox for a 20' container but they said they would send someone out to discuss my move and assess my goods.

They said they would also be happy to offer a few weeks' free storage.

Price-wise, they are not the quite the cheapest but I am going to follow it up.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Wowsers, thanks for all your help on this people. I'll let you know what happens and who comes out the cheapest and also who seems the most professional.

Excess International Movers are definitely the most IT-orientated - their guy went around the house with his laptop and left behind a USB stick with all their brochures, testimonials, qoute and details...very impressive!