Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help. Coaching "soccer" to the under 6s

Help. Coaching "soccer" to the under 6s

Old May 23rd 2006, 12:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Question Help. Coaching "soccer" to the under 6s

I remember from a few threads that some of you are FA trained coaches.

Well, I got roped into coaching my daughters tiny "timbits" team here, based largely on my accent and the fact I was watching the champions league final on TV when they called. I think I am not unique as a Brit in Canada having the heavy responsibility for introducing the beautifull game to a bunch of little kids otherwise destined for a life of hockey and "football", based solely on my accent!

Any advice to offer? I havent any experience at coaching little kids. The first thing to do I suspect is to try and prevent them getting bored, and to try and make it as much fun as possible.

What should I be expecting a bunch of pre schoolers to be able to do?

Any help gratefully received!
Old May 23rd 2006, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help. Coaching "soccer" to the under 6s

Originally Posted by iaink

Well, I got roped into coaching my daughters tiny "timbits" team here, based largely on my accent and the fact I was watching the champions league final on TV when they called. I think I am not unique as a Brit in Canada having the heavy responsibility for introducing the beautifull game to a bunch of little kids otherwise destined for a life of hockey and "football", based solely on my accent!

Any advice to offer? I havent any experience at coaching little kids. The first thing to do I suspect is to try and prevent them getting bored, and to try and make it as much fun as possible.

Don't you just hate that bloody word, So***r!

Sorry but I cannot even bring myself to say it
Old May 23rd 2006, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice

My daughter is in an under 6's team. They meet twice a week. One is practice night and the other time is to play a game against another team. Are you in a league? Here's a couple of suggestions for activities just off the top of my head from what I remember Sarah doing the other night!

Start them up with a warm up - running and stretching. Give them a ball each to practice kicking for a few mins. Split the team into two. Give each group a practice at trying to score goals. The kids line up and take turns at scoring. Each kid takes a turn in net.

Another activity is called sharks. Choose two kids to be sharks. All the other kids have a ball except the sharks. The sharks have to try and get the balls off the other kids. Every one gets a turn to be a shark.

Another activity is kind of a tag game that kids seem to like but doesn't involve any balls. All the kids except two line up along one of the white lines facing the centre of the pitch. They have to get to the other side (just half the pitch or they would be knackered!). Two kids have to try and tag them as they run. If they get tagged, they have to become taggers themselves. Not sure I explained that very well!

Finish off the practice with splitting the team in two and letting them play a game of soccer.

Anyway, I'm sure others will have some good tips. That's just what I can remember from the other night!

Chris
Old May 23rd 2006, 2:00 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Welcome to the world of daisy pickers.

First get the right size and weight balls, Passing and ball control is all we need at this age.

Take a look at this site Futebol de Salão Having fun learning the basics will help more in the long run than scoring.

Hopefully it will educate parents to see the glory in a great move pass as well as a toepunt in the net.
Old May 23rd 2006, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

mushroom is just really nicemushroom is just really nicemushroom is just really nicemushroom is just really nicemushroom is just really nicemushroom is just really nicemushroom is just really nicemushroom is just really nicemushroom is just really nicemushroom is just really nicemushroom is just really nice

Main point which you made yourself is to make it fun. Also, try to involve everyone. Sometimes at that age there are a couple of stars who always have the ball so make it less fun for everyone else.

Always start with a warm-up - teach even young kids gentle stretches.

Our routine is

Warm-up stretches and light jog.

Split into 2s (try to match ability and physique) and run loads of different 1-minute ballwork exercises (eg
1. stand 6 feet apart, player 1 lobs ball to player 2 - left foot, right foot, left thigh, right thigh, head, change player.
2. straightforward passing back and forth
3. headers
4. player 1 lobs ball way abov head, player 2 traps it.
5. same throw, bringing down on the thigh.

even at 6 these are good exercises.

Split into groups of ~6 and run relay race in and out of cones/markers. Great fun.

shooting practice is usually the most popular bit, from 10 yards or so.

finish with a game.

Vary it a bit every week to keep the interest going and introduce something new every couple of weeks.
Old May 23rd 2006, 2:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your help and suggestions so far, keep them coming.

Not sure about heading...some of these kids are not even 4 yet, dont want to scare/hurt them. If I can get them to pass to each other and not "share" with the other team too much I will consider that a moral victory If I can keep my daughter from falling over the ball like a drama queen and grabbing the ball with both hands like an italian in the penalty area that will be even better!

Have to call it soccer I'm afraid, as my OH pointed out despite the logic of calling it football (Round Ball, use of feet etc), apart from those blessed with non N American parents, all thats gonna do is further confuse them.

Smallest ball I could find here was size 3, I hate when they make little kids play with a size 5, its just pointless, they cant hardly kick it. I dont know what the organisation will supply, I just hope its not full size. Wish me luck.

Last edited by iaink; May 23rd 2006 at 3:50 pm.
Old May 23rd 2006, 8:09 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Iaink I knew I had seen some drills some where all written up

U6_training_games

Example

1 2 3 Red Light
Skill: Dribbling
Number Of Players Required: Full U-6 team
Equipment: 4 cones to mark grid and 1 cone and 1 ball for each player
Grid Requirement: 20 X 20 yard grid
Organization: Create a 20 X 30 yard grid marked with cones. All players are
required to play within the grid and each player must have a soccer ball.
How The Game Is Played: The coach stands on one endline with his back to the
players who are spread along the opposite endline. Place 5 cones behind the coach,
when the coach has back to the players, the players must dribble toward the opposite
endline. Before the coach turns around he yells “1 2 3 Red Light” and then turns around.
At that point all players must have stopped the ball with the sole of their feet. Any one
seen moving is sent back to the endline. The coach turns his back again. Repeat. The
first player to pick up a cone wins.
Old May 23rd 2006, 8:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Perfect! Thanks Grah.
Old May 23rd 2006, 11:37 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about heading...some of these kids are not even 4 yet, dont want to scare/hurt them.
I kinda have a feeling I heard that kids that age or even up to teens should not be encouraged to be heading the ball. They are susceptible to impact head injuries, and their spinal muscles are not well-developed enough to protect their necks. I'll see if I can find out more though ..... I may be making all that up!
Old May 23rd 2006, 11:44 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.northaustinsoccer.org/u5-6_laws.html

http://www.aap.org/advocacy/archives/marsoccer.htm

http://www.footy4kids.co.uk/soccer_c...oung_child.htm

I can't claim to know much about soccer coaching, but I do lurve googling!
Old May 24th 2006, 7:21 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I kinda have a feeling I heard that kids that age or even up to teens should not be encouraged to be heading the ball. They are susceptible to impact head injuries
Reminds me of a humourous advert.

And to Iain... good luck! :scared:
Old May 24th 2006, 7:28 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Reminds me of a humourous advert.

And to Iain... good luck! :scared:
Brilliant!!!!!!! :scared: