Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help! Calculating the crate size for my dog

Help! Calculating the crate size for my dog

Old Mar 3rd 2012, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Help! Calculating the crate size for my dog

Originally Posted by MillieF
D and N Hill and Cowgirl - can you tell me when you are planning to go? I haven't got a crate yet, the animals were on my hit list of 'to do' for this week (thankfully, my dog is a Cairn, so not a mega crate jobbie) I just wanted to know how much in advance you are getting prepared? I'm going in July.
Hi MillieF

We flew our Border Terrier over with us in a medium sized Vari Kennel which was perfect for her size wise, so that's what you'd need with a Cairn as they are very similar in size - they need to be able to stand up, lie down & turn around with ease.

Look on e-bay, much cheaper & get in plenty of time so your dog gets used to it if it isn't already used to being crated - they're in them for a long time when they come over.

All the best with the move.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 9:48 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Calculating the crate size for my dog

Oh Arris, many thanks, that was the name...Vari Kennel - I knew I'd heard the name of a good kennel before!
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I have the size and explanations from the company that are flying my dog out and the extra you have to allow if that makes sense.

I have a fully grown lab which won't be that much different to yours. If you want the measurements of mine and the extra they allowed then PM me and I will send you a copy of the email.

HTH
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Neillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant future

Hi Folks, I'm flying over two Goldens this summer, both are going in extra large Vari kennels which there is a link to on this site if you search through some old posts(around 100quid)

Flying from glasgow to Toronto via air transat got the both of them for under £1000 which i though was excellent.

One of mine is 13 with one eye , half deaf and just likes to sleep so i dont think he will be stressed about the flight, my younger lad is 6 year old will be a mess tho! and we know to expect one stressed out boy when he lands.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 10:03 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Neillybhoy;9933568

One of mine is 13 with one eye , half deaf and just likes to sleep so i dont think he will be stressed about the flight, my younger lad is 6 year old will be a mess tho! and we know to expect one stressed out boy when he lands.[/QUOTE]

Rubbish - The animals will be fine! YOU, you'll need some form of treatment! You could be in the room next to me, and we could go through the treatment together!
Old Mar 4th 2012, 8:04 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alphawolf
we only have Siberian Huskies but because of their height to the tips of their ears being 32 inches high, the only crate that accomodates this is the giant one, the dog has to be able to stand or sit upright without his ears touching the top of the crate.
Can they wear a hat?
Old Mar 5th 2012, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Mine flew in August last year and arrived quite happily. The only thing that surprised us, but thinking about it it makes total sense: she was jet lagged and got my husband up in the middle of the night for several days before she eventually settled down to NS time!!! Luckily she flew 2 weeks before we did so had recovered by the time the kids and I arrived!
She is a very stressy 10 year old Goldie and I would say that if she can do it and "live to tell the story" then any dog can!!!
Old Mar 5th 2012, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

iluvhuskies is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello am curious if anyone has had any issues with build and flying a custom crate. I am about to fly my 1 year old 62lb husky from Atlanta to the UK and and the XL crate(500series) is slightly too short (33inches to tip of ears, crate is 30inches) and the next size up is Giant 700(35inches) and costs considerable much more to ship due to amount of space it takes up on the plane. For perspective the quotes i got today from delta are $1500 (XL) and $2500(Giant).A custom crate seems like the best sensible decision however i am worried that i might have issues at airport or in UK. Can anyone share their experience in doing similar. Of course the crate would be built to fully comply with the IATA requirements but i want to make that there isnt anythin else i would be missing. I would hate to get turned back by airline on the day of travel.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iluvhuskies
Hello am curious if anyone has had any issues with build and flying a custom crate. I am about to fly my 1 year old 62lb husky from Atlanta to the UK and and the XL crate(500series) is slightly too short (33inches to tip of ears, crate is 30inches) and the next size up is Giant 700(35inches) and costs considerable much more to ship due to amount of space it takes up on the plane. For perspective the quotes i got today from delta are $1500 (XL) and $2500(Giant).A custom crate seems like the best sensible decision however i am worried that i might have issues at airport or in UK. Can anyone share their experience in doing similar. Of course the crate would be built to fully comply with the IATA requirements but i want to make that there isnt anythin else i would be missing. I would hate to get turned back by airline on the day of travel.
Well what I am doing is I have sent the dimensions to the company who are flying mine out and they decide what size crate mine goes in. So if we turn up on Wed and it's not big enough it's their problem... Not sure if you can get a company to make a crate and then fly them yourselves so would be up to the company to sort it out??? (That's my theory anyway - will be able to tell you more on Wed after I have dropped her off)

You know you have to get the rabies vacs and a "fit to fly" cert from a vet within a couple of days of them travelling. We have also got ours a pet passport incase we end up coming back to the UK - easier to get her back in if you have it.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Well what I am doing is I have sent the dimensions to the company who are flying mine out and they decide what size crate mine goes in. So if we turn up on Wed and it's not big enough it's their problem... Not sure if you can get a company to make a crate and then fly them yourselves so would be up to the company to sort it out??? (That's my theory anyway - will be able to tell you more on Wed after I have dropped her off)

You know you have to get the rabies vacs and a "fit to fly" cert from a vet within a couple of days of them travelling. We have also got ours a pet passport incase we end up coming back to the UK - easier to get her back in if you have it.
You're flying on Wed? That's suddenly come around!!!!! Good luck with it all...
Old Mar 6th 2012, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, we flew 9 very large German Shepherds, 3 cats, a tortoise and a parrot back from Canada (Ontario). The shepherds need the largest containers we could obtain to return. The containers we used to ship the German Sheperds in (air supply) were considered OK to fly out to Canada but not fly back with I still have both the wooden boxes we went with and the up graded plastic
airline approved boxes required).
We have 9 extra large boxes either plastic or wood available at cost?
Old Mar 6th 2012, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DandNHill
You're flying on Wed? That's suddenly come around!!!!! Good luck with it all...
Nope - we fly Sat - I take the dog to Manchester tomorrow - she meets us in Calgary on Tues.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Last edited by Geordie Lass; Mar 6th 2012 at 6:46 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Nope - we fly Sat - I take the dog to Manchester tomorrow - she meets us in Calgary on Tues.

Thanks for the well wishes!

You're welcome. Only two days to go..... Have a safe journey. Hope your dog got there safely
Old Mar 14th 2012, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Bally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunshine Girl
Hi, we flew 9 very large German Shepherds, 3 cats, a tortoise and a parrot back from Canada (Ontario). The shepherds need the largest containers we could obtain to return. The containers we used to ship the German Sheperds in (air supply) were considered OK to fly out to Canada but not fly back with I still have both the wooden boxes we went with and the up graded plastic
airline approved boxes required).
We have 9 extra large boxes either plastic or wood available at cost?
Looking to sell?? We have one 32kg GSD and one 22kg GSD being shipped with Air Transat in June!
Old Mar 15th 2012, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DandNHill
You're welcome. Only two days to go..... Have a safe journey. Hope your dog got there safely
She got here safe and sound. Doesn't seem traumatised at all and didn't on pick up either. Is just her normal self!

She is so pleased to see us when we get up in the morning now that her whole body, head and tail wag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.