Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help and any advise on Accommodation Budget ???

Help and any advise on Accommodation Budget ???

Old Apr 15th 2014, 5:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help and any advise on Accommodation Budget ???

Originally Posted by januarymix
I just had a look at the ads you posted / looks dodgy.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...424058002.html

Scammers are sick.
If you look at the photos they are slightly blurry. The photos were actually taken from an advert for a house for rent in Saskatoon.

http://saskatoon.houseme.ca/listingd...n_Saskatchewan

Scammer for sure.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 5:58 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If you look at the photos they are slightly blurry. The photos were actually taken from an advert for a house for rent in Saskatoon.

http://saskatoon.houseme.ca/listingd...n_Saskatchewan

Scammer for sure.
And Edmonton. And when I did a google image search for one of the bedroom pictures, I also found listings on Kijiji in Winnipeg and elsewhere in Manitoba, those ads have been taken down but the cache still exists on google.

http://4rent.ca/Edmonton-Low-Rise-Ap...-Meadows-4813/

https://www.google.ca/search?tbs=sbi...RbQRYfCuMa072g

And the link for the flat in Vancouver also now comes up as "This post has been flagged for removal".

OP - might be better to try to find an apartment through one of the more "legit" sites - not searching on Craigslist or whatever, but instead going through letting agencies or more "reputable" companies/avenues.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
$1500 for a nice one bedroom seems about right to me. The OP should contact them and see what they say.
Everything (hydro, internet, tv) included and fully furnished?
Old Apr 15th 2014, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

jrbettney92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by januarymix
jrbettney92

I want to wish you and your gf the very best on your new adventures. I think you've gotten great advice on this thread. Money goes quickly in Vancouver unfortunately (doesn't mean it can't be done of course with eyes wide open)...and the full furnished suite does look a bit too good to be true...please be careful and safe travels!
Thank you for your kind words, we are both very careful people and will not be renting an appartment without viewing it and talking to the landlord. The information from this post is really helping us plan our new adventure, and hopefully it will also help others. We really do appreciate everyones replies.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver REAL ESTATE is expensive, but if you're renting, you can find nice places for $1500 - they won't be downtown, but as you've discovered, you can find some nice places a short distance outside of downtown. Downtown Vancouver is overrated, in any case. Neighbourhoods in East Vancouver like Commercial Drive and Main Street/Mount Pleasant/Riley Park - all offer human scale communities with restaurants and cheaper, smaller, supermarkets/delis/butchers, etc. (owned by local families) - a much more affordable experience than living right downtown. Public transit is also convenient in those areas. In fact, they also have some interesting bars, cafes, and shops.

A few years ago I had to rent a basement suite in a heritage house in Vancouver's South Cambie neighbourhood. I paid $1200 a month , and it was all inclusive (including wireless), plus in suite laundry, and a kitchen with all the amenities. It was spacious and newly renovated. I could walk downtown in 30 minutes, or I could hop on the Canada Line (rapid transit) and be there in 8 minutes. Some basement suites are disasters, but if you're quick on Craiglist and can sense a scam listing, there are many options to be had for under $1500 a month.

Yes, Vancouver is expensive if you're buying real estate, but if you're here temporarily, it's really no more expensive than living elsewhere in Canada. Food is cheaper and often sourced/grown locally, especially if you buy from the smaller, independent supermarkets like Donald's. The best part, you really don't need to spend a lot to enjoy Vancouver - most of the city's best activities are free.

Good luck!

Last edited by Lychee; Apr 15th 2014 at 10:36 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:57 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
Everything (hydro, internet, tv) included and fully furnished?
the fully furnished was weird, but a. that place was bloody small (500 sq feet) and b. it's not unusual to have utilities included in rent. Moot point anyway because they appear to be scams.

I agree with Lychee that there are lots of options in the 1500 or less range in Vancouver.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 2:43 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
...when I did a google image search for one of the bedroom pictures, I also found listings on Kijiji in Winnipeg and elsewhere in Manitoba
Are you saying that if you have an image you can google it to see if it appears in other places and discover such fraudulent use?
How?
Old Apr 16th 2014, 2:46 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Are you saying that if you have an image you can google it to see if it appears in other places and discover such fraudulent use?
How?
Yes.

Right click on the picture, select 'search Google for this image'

Simples.

Old Apr 16th 2014, 2:58 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

Right click on the picture, select 'search Google for this image'

Simples.

It certainly sounds simple. But I'm not getting that as an option when right clicking.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 4:50 am
Banned

It certainly sounds simple. But I'm not getting that as an option when right clicking.
Hmmm - maybe you need to use specific browsers (such as chrome)?
Attached Thumbnails Help and any advise on Accommodation Budget ???-untitled.jpg  
Old Apr 16th 2014, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

I use Chrome and also have that option.. I think this is the same thing:

http://www.google.ca/insidesearch/fe...chbyimage.html
Old Apr 16th 2014, 11:41 am
Oscar nominated

So not something like a 'facial recognition' sort of thing then.

I've never felt any need to do something like it, but it's a useful tool. I use Firefox and it's just not included like your screen print. Maybe they have an add-on for it.

Originally Posted by burks
I use Chrome and also have that option.. I think this is the same thing:

http://www.google.ca/insidesearch/fe...chbyimage.html
Not sure how practical those alternatives are as the urls include the site on which the images is hosted. Dragging an avatar over to google search, for example, just brings up the BE url.

But then that must mean that right clicking is picking up something else about the image to find it on different websites?

Last edited by BristolUK; Apr 16th 2014 at 11:43 am.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 11:42 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it needs to be in Chrome, and you need to be using the most recent version. It doesn't work on other browsers.

However, on other browsers, just go to images.google.ca, then in the search bar, click the camera icon. It then gives you the option to either paste the URL of the image, or to upload an image you've saved to your hard drive (so just download the image first).
Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:02 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
However, on other browsers, just go to images.google.ca, then in the search bar, click the camera icon. It then gives you the option to either paste the URL of the image....
What intrigued me about this though was that a photo of an apartment in Edmonton on, for example, 4-Rent is also on kijiji in Winnipeg, revealing that something is dodgy.

But if you copy the url or the image itself to google images, pasting it includes the part of the url that identifies 4-Rent and consequently doesn't find the same image on different websites. So it's not going to reveal it as a dodgy ad.

Unless I'm missing something.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 2:31 pm
Concierge

What intrigued me about this though was that a photo of an apartment in Edmonton on, for example, 4-Rent is also on kijiji in Winnipeg, revealing that something is dodgy.

But if you copy the url or the image itself to google images, pasting it includes the part of the url that identifies 4-Rent and consequently doesn't find the same image on different websites. So it's not going to reveal it as a dodgy ad.

Unless I'm missing something.
Nope, didn't do that for me... I got the same set of results. Are you pasting the URL into the correct location? When you go to images.google.ca, click the camera icon that's inside the search bar and you should see another box pop up, asking you to either paste the URL of the picture, or to upload a picture. I tried pasting the URL there and compared the results to right-clicking on the picture and searching, both gave me this results set:

https://www.google.ca/search?tbs=sbi...HS0fh0w0duz_1g

(Had to use the picture from the sask link since the other craigslist ad has been removed.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.