Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hello, and where is best for my families interests???

Hello, and where is best for my families interests???

Old Jan 13th 2012, 11:16 am
Just Joined

vickyg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello, and where is best for my families interests???

Hello to all, I hope you may be able to help, there is a possibility that my hubby might be made reduntant from work (gas heating engineer) after 8 years and I am looking at the idea that we might use the opportunity to move to Canada, (cloud silver lining and all that!). he would be able to get new employment here in Scotland but might be the right time to try something different. We have a great life here but fancy an adventure!
After reading through the forum etc all morning, I am presuming that we are looking at about a 24 to 36 month wait for visa - is that correct? If we go through the Provincial Nominee Program - would that be quicker?

We have 3 kids 11,8 &5 and did think about Oz a few years back and did a 3 month reccie but was not really for us, too far away from cool places to holiday!
We are an outdoor type family and all my kids play football for teams, mountain and road bike competatively, 2 oldest are at an athletics club and all enjoy skiing. Where is a good place to look at for jobs etc where we and the kids can still join in all these activities locally? I was thinking BC however not sure of individual towns etc.

I know its a big question but it would be great to here from everyone who might have more info.
Thanks in advance.
Vicky xx
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:53 am
Just Joined

Torrent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello, and where is best for my families interests???

Hi Vicky

We emigrated in 2009 and we have a great life here in the Okanagan but it's a bit of a gamble to live here as the job opportunities aren't abundant and its down to a wee bit of luck being in the right place at the right time and doing a ton of networking. But, for us anyway, it's the right place. We might not have the salaries we had in the UK but we sure do have an amazing quality of life and the girls (10 and 8) settled in amazingly well and when I see how their lives are here I know it was the right decision.

The soccer scene here is huge and both my girls play in their soccer teams 2 years in a row - best thing I ever enrolled them in and they are into all sorts of other activities as well from basketball, skating, kung fu ... and the list goes on. If you like skiing, Big White is less than an hour's drive from Kelowna, as is Silver Star and Crystal Mountain.

The winters can be very cold but I think of them as fresh when you compare them to the Scottish winters and the summers are just amazing.

Good luck in your search

Tracy

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 14th 2012 at 8:01 am. Reason: Web link removed - pls re-read the site rules.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 3:13 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vickyg
Hello to all, I hope you may be able to help, there is a possibility that my hubby might be made reduntant from work (gas heating engineer) after 8 years and I am looking at the idea that we might use the opportunity to move to Canada, (cloud silver lining and all that!). he would be able to get new employment here in Scotland but might be the right time to try something different. We have a great life here but fancy an adventure!
After reading through the forum etc all morning, I am presuming that we are looking at about a 24 to 36 month wait for visa - is that correct? If we go through the Provincial Nominee Program - would that be quicker?

We have 3 kids 11,8 &5 and did think about Oz a few years back and did a 3 month reccie but was not really for us, too far away from cool places to holiday!
We are an outdoor type family and all my kids play football for teams, mountain and road bike competatively, 2 oldest are at an athletics club and all enjoy skiing. Where is a good place to look at for jobs etc where we and the kids can still join in all these activities locally? I was thinking BC however not sure of individual towns etc.

I know its a big question but it would be great to here from everyone who might have more info.
Thanks in advance.
Vicky xx
Before looking at specific locations, you may want to look at job opportunities, where and if there are any first. This will affect where you may end up living, wages will also play a big part, big city costs more to live, but more work as a rule. Small towns, less work and lower wages, lower cost of living.

Gas fitter is a licensed trade in Canada. Take a look at the ITA web site and Red Seal, as he would have to go though the ITA to get his gas ticket.
In BC everything goes through ITA. Red Seal is not a certification body, it endorses the provincial certification so it is portable across Canada.

Look at the online job sites, visit Canada and talk to employers. Go to trade shows if there are any. Get to know any trade associations. The more leg work you do, the more contacts you make the better your chances and the easier it will be to make the transition. Many jobs never get posted, candidates are found through contacts and those who directly contact employers.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

Thanks in advance.
Vicky xx
I'm a gas fitter and the gas trade is not read seal, i had to goto college for 6 weeks to get my BC gas fitting ticket and it was around 2000 dollars i could try and dig out the email address off the guy i spoke to in the gas authority
Old Jan 14th 2012, 9:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
Vicky xx

Welcome to the forum. Given the above information I'd sugest a long holiday, maybe the Amazon rain forest or trekking in Mongolia. And then stay and bring up your family in Scotland.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 1:06 am
Just Joined

SarahK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance.
Vicky xx
Check out job opportunities in/around Calgary, Alberta. The economy here has barely been touched by the recession and is booming again. Lots of job opportunities. Calgary is a vibrant city with tons of recreation opportunities. You should also check out Okotoks, 20 mins south of Calgary, which has two recreation centres, a lake, and a whole bunch of activities to suit the whole family. And skiing is an hour and a bit drive away Check out www.okotoks.ca
We emigrated in 2005 and have no regrets. Your kids will have an amazing life here. Good luck!
Old Jan 15th 2012, 8:48 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahK
Check out job opportunities in/around Calgary, Alberta. The economy here has barely been touched by the recession and is booming again. Lots of job opportunities. Calgary is a vibrant city with tons of recreation opportunities. You should also check out Okotoks, 20 mins south of Calgary, which has two recreation centres, a lake, and a whole bunch of activities to suit the whole family. And skiing is an hour and a bit drive away Check out www.okotoks.ca
We emigrated in 2005 and have no regrets. Your kids will have an amazing life here. Good luck!
No, they won't necessarily, that’s just something propagated by those who want to justify their own actions. Your children will assimilate and then you'll be the foreign parent living in someone else’s country and your children, because you're a foreigner, will be just that little more embarrassed about you than normal.

Last edited by Oink; Jan 15th 2012 at 8:53 am.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:54 am
Just Joined

vickyg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies,
oink, you are probably right and it would be cheaper! We are very fortunate to have a great life near edinburgh and everyone thinks we would be mad to move and I wouldnt be looking for a 'better life' just different enviroment with new challenges to give us a new chapter in our life.
Sarah and Tracy, going to look at these options. Jobs are going to be the biggest thing and from what I have read and info from hutchy, looks like there is going to be a bit of work done before a job can be found.
Thanks again
Vicky x
Old Jan 16th 2012, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

nina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud ofnina874 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oink
No, they won't necessarily, that’s just something propagated by those who want to justify their own actions. Your children will assimilate and then you'll be the foreign parent living in someone else’s country and your children, because you're a foreigner, will be just that little more embarrassed about you than normal.
Taking that on board I think were we to emigrate, that my children would thank god that they will have something that they can use as an excuse for my usual level of eccentric behaviour. Canada here we come then....
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

oink, you are probably right and it would be cheaper! We are very fortunate to have a great life near edinburgh and everyone thinks we would be mad to move and I wouldnt be looking for a 'better life' just different enviroment with new challenges to give us a new chapter in our life.
Sarah and Tracy, going to look at these options. Jobs are going to be the biggest thing and from what I have read and info from hutchy, looks like there is going to be a bit of work done before a job can be found.
Thanks again
Vicky x
I know BC and Alberta use the same gas tickets send me a private message if you want the gas stuff and il dig it out
Old Jan 17th 2012, 1:39 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again
Vicky x
Been here 13 years and moving back to just outside Edinburgh - it definately is horses for courses...............listen to your friends. but only the ones who have lived elsewhere, as they, are the only ones who can comment truely, the others pure speculation. The grass isn't always greener. Agree with Oink, take off on an adventure holiday and raise your family in Scotland

Last edited by dollface; Jan 17th 2012 at 1:47 am.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 2:00 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
moving back to just outside Edinburgh
May I ask where? I have family nearby.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

craigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant futurecraigpark2 has a brilliant future

Hey Vicky

I moved to Cochrane, just outside of Calgary, in May of last year with my husband and two young kids and we absolutely love it here. We are only 20 minutes from the outskirts of Calgary and to the LRT should we wish to go downtown and yet the mountains, where we spend most of our spare time, are only an hour away. We had a lovely warm summer and are now enjoying a winter of skiing.

We are from the Scottish Borders and, like you, had a high standard of living but after spending 2 winters here before we had our kids, we fell in love with the place and knew we wanted to settle here. I am so glad we finally got here, through the skilled worker route, as we are very happy.

My husband is an engineer and it took him 6 weeks to find a job with a large construction company in Calgary. I was then able to take the summer off and look after the kids as childcare is very expensive here. I'm now working in a legal firm in town and it's the first time in ages that I'm enjoying my job.

There are lots of things different here that you have to get used to but as I'd been before I knew what to expect. Here in Alberta the winters are pretty brutal and we're currently sitting at about -30 just now with the same temperature expected for tomorrow but everyone is so geared up for it here.
The big difference is that I know we'll get a summer which in Scotland just doesn't happen very often.

So all in all I'd say go for it but a trip here first is a must. I just don't understand people who immigrate without checking out a place first. It's a hell of a gamble, especially with kids in tow!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Your children will assimilate and then you'll be the foreign parent living in someone else’s country and your children, because you're a foreigner, will be just that little more embarrassed about you than normal.
Normally I think you write utter bollox but there's actually a grain of truth to this.