Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hello from Tweed!

Hello from Tweed!

Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

cynthia2373 will become famous soon enoughcynthia2373 will become famous soon enough
Default Hello from Tweed!

Just thought I'd say Hi, we've finally made it to Canada!

Landing in Toronto last Friday 7 March was a doddle. Immigration people were really friendly and yes, we got our lovely bag!
They really liked the fact that we had 2 copies of the Goods to follow forms, saved them having to photocopy them. So thanks to everyone who posted about these!!

It was pretty quiet at the airport (landed at 4.40pm) the only real queue was waiting to speak to the immigation people, but that was only about 5 minutes. We spent about 10 minutes with the woman there and were then directed over to a desk where we were given booklets of information, and forms for our SIN and health insurance. There was no one else around! Probably took no more than 30 minutes all in, including getting our luggage!

The flight was great, really worth upgrading to Club Class when flying with Air Transat - they really treat you well when you pay!
I was really worried about the dogs in the hold but the crew and pilot were brilliant, the captain even came to speak to us about 3 hours into the flight to let us know that he was keeping an eye on the temperature in the hold and was making sure they were OK! (such a lovely man!)

We had a few problems finding where the dogs were once we landed, as the address the company I used had given me was wrong! We FINALLY managed to get the dogs about 4 hours after we arrived, they hadn't been watered so were pretty thirsty! I think the moral to this is don't try to land with animals on a Friday! We picked the cat up on Tuesday (her flight was delayed by 3 hours from Gatwick!) but the people at customs and the cargo area were so much friendlier and helpful than the ones on Friday!

Weather is really nice, bright blue sky, still loads of snow!

If anyone is close to the Tweed/Belleville area and would like to meet up that would be really good!

Good luck to everyone!
Cynthia
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Tweed!

Hi Cynthia,

Welcome to the area.

Wow you're so close to the famous "Tweed Twangers"

If you ever decide to take trip south along the 401 past Napanee just let me know by PM and I'll buy you a coffee at Timmy's just off the 401.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Same here...was in Tweed a few days ago...great hardwood floor place there.

Nice part of the world, best to you!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cynthia2373

Landing in Toronto last Friday 7 March was a doddle. Immigration people were really friendly and yes, we got our lovely bag!
They really liked the fact that we had 2 copies of the Goods to follow forms, saved them having to photocopy them. So thanks to everyone who posted about these!!

It was pretty quiet at the airport (landed at 4.40pm) the only real queue was waiting to speak to the immigation people, but that was only about 5 minutes. We spent about 10 minutes with the woman there and were then directed over to a desk where we were given booklets of information, and forms for our SIN and health insurance. There was no one else around! Probably took no more than 30 minutes all in, including getting our luggage!

The flight was great, really worth upgrading to Club Class when flying with Air Transat - they really treat you well when you pay!
I was really worried about the dogs in the hold but the crew and pilot were brilliant, the captain even came to speak to us about 3 hours into the flight to let us know that he was keeping an eye on the temperature in the hold and was making sure they were OK! (such a lovely man!)

We had a few problems finding where the dogs were once we landed, as the address the company I used had given me was wrong! We FINALLY managed to get the dogs about 4 hours after we arrived, they hadn't been watered so were pretty thirsty! I think the moral to this is don't try to land with animals on a Friday! We picked the cat up on Tuesday (her flight was delayed by 3 hours from Gatwick!) but the people at customs and the cargo area were so much friendlier and helpful than the ones on Friday!

If anyone is close to the Tweed/Belleville area and would like to meet up that would be really good!

Good luck to everyone!
Cynthia
We are 90 minutes west of you on Highway 7, and would also be pleased to meet you for a Timmies should you be out this way in Peterborough
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

johnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant future

There are lots of us brits in the Belleville area pm me ,i'll meet you for a coffee at timmies

John
Old Mar 17th 2008, 2:00 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyc
There are lots of us brits in the Belleville area pm me ,i'll meet you for a coffee at timmies

John
Me too

Welcome to the neighbourhood! Dont worry, the snow will melt soon (I hope)
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

cynthia2373 will become famous soon enoughcynthia2373 will become famous soon enough

Hi, thanks for the replies, good to see there's a few of you close by!
It would be great to meet up with you guys so I will be in touch soon.

Isn't the snow great?! At least my dogs are loving it!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:56 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't the snow great?!
No, not now the novelty has worn off
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:48 pm
Banned

ipevo is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck to everyone!
Cynthia
Your not far from the home of muchmor magazine we're very near Belleville to!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

johnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant future

Isn't the snow great?!
well it was ,in November, not so much in March, I'll be glad to see the back of it now to be honest,
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Great! Do you need any editorial work doing? I'm a copy editor & proofreader...

Originally Posted by ipevo
Your not far from the home of muchmor magazine we're very near Belleville to!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

I guess for me the novelty still hasn't worn off - I'll probably be thinking the same thing next year!

Originally Posted by johnnyc
well it was ,in November, not so much in March, I'll be glad to see the back of it now to be honest,