Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hello there i need some advice

Hello there i need some advice

Old Jun 15th 2011, 4:16 am
Just Joined

Rinarah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello there i need some advice

Hello people im a 17 year old male who is in the process of joining the armed forces however when i reach 18 i want to move to canada as i have family out there and want to train as a police officer or in the Security sector.

Any advice on what i need to get within the next year or just any advice.

Regards

J.Williams
Old Jun 15th 2011, 4:26 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello there i need some advice

No idea - but am sure some one will be along later that can help you.

Welcome to the mad house
Old Jun 15th 2011, 9:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

What family do you have in Canada? It may be possible that they could sponsor you for a visa.

If not, then have a read of the Wiki (blue bar at top of page) to figure out which visa route may be best for you. It's probably going to be fairly tricky to get a visa with you being so young and having no work experience, but one option you could look at is a Working Holiday Visa which would give you year's open work permit.

Alternatively, a study permit may be a good idea if you wanted to do further studies in Canada. And given that you need a degree to do pretty much anything there, it would be a good idea to have one anyway!

HTH, good luck.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

When you join the armed forces, do you not sign up for a certain amount of years? Or perhaps that is not the case anymore? If that is the case, I figure you'll go where they tell you for a while

Learn a skill or trade, or study for a degree.

Or, as christmasoompa suggested, come here for a year and work, or obtain a study visa (but fees will be expensive).
Old Jun 15th 2011, 2:08 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

If your planning on moving here at 18, why would you join up? You'd have to do your basic training and then sign on the dotted line for a certain duration ( I seem to remember it being 5 years minimum?).

I would start your career off if I were you, Canada isn't going anywhere and the Forces IMO is a good career. Thank you for wanting to 'Join up'.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
If your planning on moving here at 18, why would you join up? You'd have to do your basic training and then sign on the dotted line for a certain duration ( I seem to remember it being 5 years minimum?).

I would start your career off if I were you, Canada isn't going anywhere and the Forces IMO is a good career. Thank you for wanting to 'Join up'.
I didn't think anyone had to sign up for a specified time these days, isn't it open engagement?
Old Jun 15th 2011, 3:21 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I didn't think anyone had to sign up for a specified time these days, isn't it open engagement?
I don't remember fully for new recruits but I do remember people having to decide if they were going to quit after their period of time or sign up for another few years, I'm thinking it was 3, 7 and 22 or you could get permission to leave in between time from the CO. Really don't remember it's been 6 years since I worked for the Army, I'm pretty good at getting rid of information that I no longer need or want to know

It just seems a bit pointless going through the basic training to then just leave IMO.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 3:27 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Troops in armoured units often go to CFB Edmonton for training, so you might want to think about being in an armoured unit when you're asked what trade you're interested in, e.g. tank repair. Also a good trade that can be used in civvie life, because there is a big demand for heavy-duty mechanics in Canada. If you have immediate family out here they can sponsor you for family reunification if they're LPRs or citizens.