Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hello from Stony Plain, AB

Hello from Stony Plain, AB

Old Jun 6th 2007, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold
Default Hello from Stony Plain, AB

Hi there - I've posted a couple of times in the last week or so, with a promise of an introduction shortly - so here goes.

My husband, son and I moved here nearly 3 years ago now from near Worthing, UK. Sudden decision to do so but within 3 months of making decision we got here on a work permit. Just getting to end of PR process now (medicals were last week) - applied July 2006 I think (I'll firm up the time line for you all later - when I can figure it out!).

We've used the forum on and off over these last couple of years and got loads of great information from it, so I thought it was time to "give back" and contribute where I can. So if anyone has any questions about this area, our immigration process or settling in AB, I'm happy to help where I can.

I've seen a few posts from folks around this part of AB so, to those people, did anyone see the tornado yesterday?

My son and I were stuck in the Java cafe by Stony Safeway - so saw the hail, and flooding, but luckily my car escaped. For those who didn't see it - we had a tornado warning at about 4pm and within 15 mins there was nearly a foot of hailstones building up against walls (some the size of dimes) and up to 3 ft of flood water in some parts of the car park - water running like rivers elsewhere in the neighbourhood. Never seen anything like it. Half an hour earlier it had been a bright, hot summer day!

The tornado warning freaked us out as we were in this rickety stick built cafe - so my son and I skidaddled (?) across the carpark to London Drugs which at least had less windows! A funnel cloud had been spotted slightly south west of us apparently and it did seem to touch down at one point - I don't think there was major damage from it though - flooding and high winds did the worse.

Anyway - I digress - just wanted to say hello!
Old Jun 6th 2007, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Stony Plain, AB

Hi there, that sounds a bit frightening. Then again remembering there was a tornado hit Selsey, Sussex a few years ago you may have been used to it. We originate from Eastbourne, just along the coast from you. Live on Vancouver Island, been here 3 years and love it!
Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

Hi there - thanks for your reply

I used to work in Eastbourne for a while - for the housing dept - first job out of college. Seems a long time ago now.

Yep - it was scary - we've had a few violent storms here since we arrived but no tornados in the immediate area - so it was our first. I was just a bit shocked how conditions could disintegrate so quickly. My son was a bit panicky when we heard the warning on the radio and wanted to get into the car - he's only 8 so didn't really understand that that wasn't the greatest idea So I took him accross the road and told him to find something to buy - which took his mind off it

I hear BC is getting some pretty mad weather too at the mo?
Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, funny enough after reading your first post I was looking at the Yahoo.ca home page and there on the news section was a headline about your weather and tornado. Here on the Island it has been strange weather. I do a blog for the Emigrate Canada newspaper website and I started it by saying "I can finally say I am writing in the hot sun!" That was on Sunday after a glorious week of Sunshine, yesterday it got cold with showers moving in, today wet, cold and miserable......oh well reminds me off Eastbourne I suppose! Actually seeing as you are from Worthing I worked for Taylors Excavating and Haulage back in 1996 (don't know if you recognise the name) and spent time working in Brighton and Slindon. Always remember that if there was a race meet on at Goodwood we had to leave work by the end of the last race or be stuck in trafic for ages. My son did judo and we often went to Worthing for judo competitions.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi maddhobs

In 96 I was in Brighton so don't recall the name but I know what you mean about the racecourse - was the same in Brighton too - when the races were on - I went home a different route. Same thing happens here when the freight trains go past - each one takes 10 minutes!

Last edited by ladymoose; Jun 6th 2007 at 5:26 pm. Reason: mispelled name
Old Jun 8th 2007, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold

Hi, yes we had the Tornado warning too! Just down the road from you in Wabamun. We had heavy rain and hail stone but the Tornado missed us. I was abit frightened too at the thought of one coming as never seen one before.
We were at a neighbours house at the time.
I believe the last one was about 4 years ago and the neighbours said it hit Wabamun lake and they had hail stones the size of golf balls, damaging all the vehicles... I think my hubbie was more worried about his truck when he heard that! lol
Husband works in fire and flood restoration and he got called out last night to a flood in Stony after all the rain.
Hopefully the sun will keep shining from now on eh!
Old Jun 8th 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladymoose
Hi maddhobs

In 96 I was in Brighton so don't recall the name but I know what you mean about the racecourse - was the same in Brighton too - when the races were on - I went home a different route. Same thing happens here when the freight trains go past - each one takes 10 minutes!

Hi there ladymoose,

We have friends in Stoney.....Willow Park, while the storm was in full swing, she was out trying to hold down her new gazebo!!!
Their basement got flooded, but, no-one was hurt, which is the main thing.

Linda
Old Jun 8th 2007, 10:28 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

We only saw a few grey skies and a few spots of rain over this side of Edm, thank goodness. Don't want to experience a tornado if I can help it. They had a big one over this side of the city, back in the eighties I think it was, and a number of people were killed.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sarahad
I believe the last one was about 4 years ago and the neighbours said it hit Wabamun lake and they had hail stones the size of golf balls, damaging all the vehicles... I think my hubbie was more worried about his truck when he heard that! lol
Hi Sarahad - thanks for the reply My real estate agent told us about that tornado, said it touched down and did a lot of damage at Cougar Creek Golf Course on the 16. She was showing a house that way, but headed off to Stony to pick up her kids cos they were with a babysitter in the trailer park in Stony. She said it chased her all the way down the road

I just spotted a house I like the sound of just south of Wabanum lake in MLS - a hundred and some acres - I'd love some more land for my hubby's ATV/snow-mobiling passion. Just trying to figure out how long it would take to get to Stony for our son to get to school! Probably too far, but I can dream How do you find Wabanum? Our son plays fun-hockey there in winter and played soccer there last week. We've friends with a boat as well so get out on that occasionally. We're also in Darwell a lot. You've got a lovely spot there
Old Jun 9th 2007, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Linda P
Hi there ladymoose,

We have friends in Stoney.....Willow Park, while the storm was in full swing, she was out trying to hold down her new gazebo!!!
Their basement got flooded, but, no-one was hurt, which is the main thing.

Linda
Hi Linda - thanks for the note. After seeing the hail and the wind battering our window, I think I would have sacrificed the gazebo! I hope her basement gets dried out - we had a bit of a leak back at the house, but that was all.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by R2D2
We only saw a few grey skies and a few spots of rain over this side of Edm, thank goodness. Don't want to experience a tornado if I can help it. They had a big one over this side of the city, back in the eighties I think it was, and a number of people were killed.
Hi R2D2 - thanks for your reply. You're lucky you avoided it, I think it touched down at Stony Plain golf course - must be a reason they mostly end up on open, level ground. Glad it wasn't as serious as that one in the 80s - now I'm feeling lucky too
Old Jun 9th 2007, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Hello from Stony Plain, AB

Hi there - I've posted a couple of times in the last week or so, with a promise of an introduction shortly - so here goes.

My husband, son and I moved here nearly 3 years ago now from near Worthing, UK. Sudden decision to do so but within 3 months of making decision we got here on a work permit. Just getting to end of PR process now (medicals were last week) - applied July 2006 I think (I'll firm up the time line for you all later - when I can figure it out!).

We've used the forum on and off over these last couple of years and got loads of great information from it, so I thought it was time to "give back" and contribute where I can. So if anyone has any questions about this area, our immigration process or settling in AB, I'm happy to help where I can.

I've seen a few posts from folks around this part of AB so, to those people, did anyone see the tornado yesterday?

My son and I were stuck in the Java cafe by Stony Safeway - so saw the hail, and flooding, but luckily my car escaped. For those who didn't see it - we had a tornado warning at about 4pm and within 15 mins there was nearly a foot of hailstones building up against walls (some the size of dimes) and up to 3 ft of flood water in some parts of the car park - water running like rivers elsewhere in the neighbourhood. Never seen anything like it. Half an hour earlier it had been a bright, hot summer day!

The tornado warning freaked us out as we were in this rickety stick built cafe - so my son and I skidaddled (?) across the carpark to London Drugs which at least had less windows! A funnel cloud had been spotted slightly south west of us apparently and it did seem to touch down at one point - I don't think there was major damage from it though - flooding and high winds did the worse.

Anyway - I digress - just wanted to say hello!
Hello from Idaho Northern that is.Now how close to Worthing??Shoreham Lancing Southwick???I grew up in Mile Oak Then Portslade which is bow Hove.
Our weather here was not as nad as yours but we did go from 94 degs to 49 with a couple of loud storms with lots of rain.
Lynne in Idaho
Old Jun 9th 2007, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hove
Hello from Idaho Northern that is.Now how close to Worthing??Shoreham Lancing Southwick???I grew up in Mile Oak Then Portslade which is bow Hove.
Our weather here was not as nad as yours but we did go from 94 degs to 49 with a couple of loud storms with lots of rain.
Lynne in Idaho
Hi Lynne I was raised in Portsmouth, lived in Brighton then Hove then Patcham (Brighton suburb) then Ferring (was a little retirement village next to Goring-by-Sea before the families (us!) started moving in - next to Worthing). I know Portslade though - went for a few interviews there over the years - and used the high street as a short cut a few times - coast road to A27 or vice versa when one or the other of them got jammed up - often! Now traffic jams - what were they again?
Old Jun 9th 2007, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

Hi Lynne I was raised in Portsmouth, lived in Brighton then Hove then Patcham (Brighton suburb) then Ferring (was a little retirement village next to Goring-by-Sea before the families (us!) started moving in - next to Worthing). I know Portslade though - went for a few interviews there over the years - and used the high street as a short cut a few times - coast road to A27 or vice versa when one or the other of them got jammed up - often! Now traffic jams - what were they again?
I have been through Ferring ,I just love Sussex,My Brother lives in Angmering.Hard to recognise that part of the world anymore ,I left 50 years ago
still find places that I remember.We still have the Downs and Devils Dyke now you go over that way to Brighton all very confusing .
lynne in idaho
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold

Ladymoose sent you PM!