Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hello and some advice if possible!! - VANCOUVER

Hello and some advice if possible!! - VANCOUVER

Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello and some advice if possible!! - VANCOUVER

Originally Posted by Ajster
Professional services to business managemen (on phone, so might be slightly differently worded).
Have you checked the duties listed under that NOC code, do you definitely meet the criteria? It's just that it's for management consultants, and I thought you were a project manager? http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/...spx?val65=1122 You'll notice that Project Managers are not listed among the 'view all titles' section of 1122.

There are specific NOC codes for project managers, and if CIC think your job duties/description fit them better, you wouldn't qualify under 1122.

You can't extend a WHV, but you could get a second one, assuming you are eligible. So that would give you two years, and then you'd have to hope that you impress the hell out of an employer so that they'll want to keep you and help you with your PR application.

If I were you, I'd get a WHV application in asap. As I'm sure you are aware, the quota for NOC 1122 has been met, so you couldn't apply for PR under that now even if you are eligible, and you don't want to risk it not being on the list in July. At least then that would give you a year to get started and see if you like it in Vancouver.

Re: the town planning jobs for your gf, search posts by forum member 4BellsLondon - iirc she was a town planner that moved from London to Vancouver. Don't think she could get a job in that area, so is now doing something entirely different.

Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Professional services to business managemen (on phone, so might be slightly differently worded).

I need to gauge whether we're safer getting a 1yr visa and hoping that we can get it extended. We've a lit to give up here, 4 bed detached, bmw's etc - but we're not happy!

We're both up for total career changes IF we can get enough $$$

If we're safer to get a 1yr visa, I need to know how we get it extended or pr at 12 months -we dont want to get kicked out
I don't think you're really getting the picture. The one year visa is for young people with no attachments to go and wait tables in a ski resort, it's a boozing and bonking type of visa rather than a career orientated one and so doesn't naturally lead to residency. I don't think you want to give up having two bedrooms each and all that magnificent engineering in the driveway to be poor but having fun abroad.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:33 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I need to gauge whether we're safer getting a 1yr visa and hoping that we can get it extended. We've a lit to give up here, 4 bed detached, bmw's etc - but we're not happy!

If we're safer to get a 1yr visa, I need to know how we get it extended or pr at 12 months -we dont want to get kicked out
I wish I knew more about it to be able to give you some info. There are some very well informed individuals on this forum who I am sure will have some answers.

One question though - do you consider this an economic move or a lifestyle one? If you're coming for economic reasons I would take a long hard look at the likelihood of securing relevant employment in the time frame you are giving yourself. One thing immigration isn't is cheap! For us anyway, it was a life change/experience thing - certainly not to get rich quick.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:37 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

If you'd had mentioned that before it might of helped.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:42 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Plus it's naffing well snowing this morning.
Cry me a river....I have been in Whitehorse, Yukon for work the past week.....
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Ajster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant future

It's a lifestyle change rather than economic as such.

I'm a client account manager - I'm just prince2 qualified to manage projects. Also have a number of years in logistics.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:44 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
Cry me a river....I have been in Whitehorse, Yukon for work the past week.....
Its been quite cloudy as well you know.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a client account manager - I'm just prince2 qualified to manage projects. Also have a number of years in logistics.
I noticed that from your website. But the important bit is if you meet the criteria under the 1122 that I gave you the link to, do you think you can prove you do those duties on a daily basis, that the opening paragraph applies to you, etc?

If so, and you meet the points criteria (I noticed you don't have any further education from your website, so you'd only get 5 points for education - so do make sure you meet the points score), then you could apply for PR as a FSW in July if 1122 is still on 'the list'.

But it still might be worth applying for a WHV just in case you don't have any other option once July rolls around.

Good luck.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:53 am

Why aren't you happy and how do you think a move abroad might change that?
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Ajster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant future

The uk has nothing to offer us - poor lifestyle.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:56 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Why aren't you happy and how do you think a move abroad might change that?
You highlighted his issue in post #64
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:58 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

You appreciate a good lifestyle in Vancouver isn't cheap?
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

What do you think Canada can offer you that the UK can't out of interest?
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by R I C H
You highlighted his issue in post #64
Is that cause or a symptom?
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:14 am

Its afforded a big house and posh cars. You could choose to eat healthily, exercise, take up hobbies even go on a nice holiday. I've been watching One Man and His Campervan and while he's a bit of drip the countryside and the produce look lovely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.