Reload this Page >

Hello new user here - U.K. MH nurse

Hello new user here - U.K. MH nurse

Old Sep 2nd 2007, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

BertieNurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello new user here - U.K. MH nurse

Hi there

I am a 49 year old student studying for a Diploma in Mental Health Nursing in the U.K. My wife is also studying to become an adult (General) nurse. I am in my second year of a three year course and will qualify in January 2009. My wife qualifies one year later.

We are thinking of emigrating to Canada when she qualifies. We've been to Ontario and loved it but I'm Scottish and have always thought I'd love to settle in Nova Scotia. I know moving is at least 2 and a half years away but i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the following "worries."

Will we be too old at 52 to emigrate? On the positive side I have a degree already (from 1970's) so am well educated - my wife is well educated too. We're both in good health, have two youngish children - currently 10 and 9. We are solvent - own our own home here in U.K. worth approx £360,000.

Also is there anything I should/could be doing now to help my cause? Does anyone have any contact in mental health nursing in NS for instance?

Anyway thanks for reading this. Hope we can join you out there one day.

All the best
Alex
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

keefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hello new user here - U.K. MH nurse

Originally Posted by BertieNurse
Hi there

I am a 49 year old student studying for a Diploma in Mental Health Nursing in the U.K. My wife is also studying to become an adult (General) nurse. I am in my second year of a three year course and will qualify in January 2009. My wife qualifies one year later.

We are thinking of emigrating to Canada when she qualifies. We've been to Ontario and loved it but I'm Scottish and have always thought I'd love to settle in Nova Scotia. I know moving is at least 2 and a half years away but i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the following "worries."

Will we be too old at 52 to emigrate? On the positive side I have a degree already (from 1970's) so am well educated - my wife is well educated too. We're both in good health, have two youngish children - currently 10 and 9. We are solvent - own our own home here in U.K. worth approx £360,000.

Also is there anything I should/could be doing now to help my cause? Does anyone have any contact in mental health nursing in NS for instance?

All the best
Alex
Hi, we are in Aberdeen area and are in the process of going over to Alberta with Geneva international, have a chat with them certainly recommend them.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by keefrto
Hi, we are in Aberdeen area and are in the process of going over to Alberta with Geneva international, have a chat with them certainly recommend them.
Hi - who /where are Geneva Intl??? I've never heard of them.
Thanks
Alex
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

keefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant future

Hi - who /where are Geneva Intl??? I've never heard of them.
Thanks
Alex
http://www.genevahealth.com/. I would contact the London office, try speaking with Katarina they will put you on the right road.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by keefrto
http://www.genevahealth.com/. I would contact the London office, try speaking with Katarina they will put you on the right road.
many thanks I'll contact them next week
Old Sep 5th 2007, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Animal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to all

Hi Alex

Glad to see that someone else is thinking of jumping the NHS when qualifying!! I'm a 3rd year student of adult nursing and my husband is also studying for a degree in IT and has 2 years left to go!! We have seriously been thinking about moving to Canada for around 2 years now but haven't taken the plunge to fill in the application eek!!! I've been looking through loads of nursing forums and sites. Are you aware that you have to sit a couple of exams to be able to nurse over there!! :curse:I was surprised at this but a friend of mine has sat hers and passed she said it was daunting but worth it. We are both mature, 36 & 37 with 2 daughters of 5 & 12. Lets keep in touch and we can get stressed together eh!!!

Kind Regards Gaynor x
Hi there

All the best
Alex
Old Sep 13th 2007, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

rai3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Hello new user here - U.K. MH nurse

Hello, I'm also a new user!

I qualified last year as a MH Nurse, I also looked into nursing in Nova Scotia and found that they don't recognize the UK Mental Health qualification, there are only a few Provinces that do: British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. I am using Geneva to assist with my relocation to Alberta and could only apply after completing my first year, they have been very helpful.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Rai