Reload this Page >

Hello from Ipswich (UK)

Hello from Ipswich (UK)

Old Mar 30th 2007, 11:50 am
Just Joined

cakeogh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello from Ipswich (UK)

Hi everyone

myself and my husband have been thinking about emigrating to Canada for a long time, we've researched it a lot and even visited, we like BC and would be likely to move somewhere in the BC region.

We would like to hire an agent to help us with the emigration process, paperwork etc. and we were wondering if any of you have done this and if you could recommend any good agents to us

many thanks
Caroline
Old Mar 30th 2007, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Ipswich (UK)

Hi Caroline,

Andrew Miller is the resident immigration consultant on this forum, and is a CSIC member, so I suggest doing a search on his name just to satisfy you that he is of good repute. I have researched many other names that have been mentioned here and there, but came back to employ Andrew because he makes the extra effort to give out free advice here and came recommended to me.

He will tell you like it is and won't take you on unless he is satisfied that he can help you get a visa - No visa no fee.

If you have a straight forward case then many would recommend that you submit your own application and spend the money on another reccy trip. My circumstances are not straight forward so I feel that an experienced agent would be worth the money.

What line of work are you in? Whereabouts in BC have you been looking at?
Have you kids? Are you hoping to get jobs and a permit before going?

Welcome aboard and happy hunting.

Robin
Old Mar 30th 2007, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

cakeogh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family)
Hi Caroline,

Andrew Miller is the resident immigration consultant on this forum, and is a CSIC member, so I suggest doing a search on his name just to satisfy you that he is of good repute. I have researched many other names that have been mentioned here and there, but came back to employ Andrew because he makes the extra effort to give out free advice here and came recommended to me.

He will tell you like it is and won't take you on unless he is satisfied that he can help you get a visa - No visa no fee.

If you have a straight forward case then many would recommend that you submit your own application and spend the money on another reccy trip. My circumstances are not straight forward so I feel that an experienced agent would be worth the money.

What line of work are you in? Whereabouts in BC have you been looking at?
Have you kids? Are you hoping to get jobs and a permit before going?

Welcome aboard and happy hunting.

Robin
Hi Robin

thanks for the info about Andrew, I will have search for him. My husband works for Network Rail in London as a Scheme Project Manager and I work in Product Marketing for a software company here in Ipswich, I used to work for BT for 7 years. We were thinking about Vancouver City or Vancouver Island, but we are not sure really, Calgary is a possibility too.

I do have some concerns about salaries and jobs and working conditions, etc. what I mean is being paid less than the UK equivelent, shorter holidays, not so good maternity leave packages, etc.

No matter how much investigation one does, it never prepares you enough for the reality and I read this article which did scare me a little:

http://britishexpats.com/articles/ca...an-experience/
I don't believe this person was 'having a go', she was simply expressing an opinion and her own personal situation, experiences and views, however it does make you 'raise the eyebrows' a little.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 4:11 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

You'll see that the 'experience' has generated a lot of debate - don't be panicked by it. As a family we have a completely opposite view and it's been a great move for us.

No doubt hubby will be looking at Canadian Pacific and Canadian National railway sites if he wants to stay in that type of industry although good project managers with engineering experience are sought after here in Alberta. Can't speak for BC though.

As for you, Telus one of the major telecoms companies has an ex BT guy at the helm - they are always posting for jobs and salaries are very competitive. Similarly the case with Bell.

Good luck with the journey - there are planty on here with loads of good advice - and some with just a strange sens of humour.......
Old Mar 30th 2007, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Andy B123 has a brilliant futureAndy B123 has a brilliant futureAndy B123 has a brilliant futureAndy B123 has a brilliant futureAndy B123 has a brilliant futureAndy B123 has a brilliant futureAndy B123 has a brilliant future

Hi Caroline

I'm in Sudbury so just down the road from you. I'm still at the "I haven't done anything about applying" stage so it sounds like we're in a similar position. Maybe we can swap notes and give each other a bit of moral support along the way !!

Cheers
Andy
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Hi & welcome

Good luck with everything. I have family just outside Ipswich - Holbrook (great pub there!).

Arris
Old Apr 1st 2007, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to behold
Cool Re: Hello from Ipswich (UK)

Originally Posted by cakeogh
Hi everyone

myself and my husband have been thinking about emigrating to Canada for a long time, we've researched it a lot and even visited, we like BC and would be likely to move somewhere in the BC region.

We would like to hire an agent to help us with the emigration process, paperwork etc. and we were wondering if any of you have done this and if you could recommend any good agents to us

many thanks
Caroline
Hi Caroline,welcome to the forum.

Mandi & Darren
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 12:48 am
Just Joined

Rodney Baker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cakeogh
Hi Robin

thanks for the info about Andrew, I will have search for him. My husband works for Network Rail in London as a Scheme Project Manager and I work in Product Marketing for a software company here in Ipswich, I used to work for BT for 7 years. We were thinking about Vancouver City or Vancouver Island, but we are not sure really, Calgary is a possibility too.

I do have some concerns about salaries and jobs and working conditions, etc. what I mean is being paid less than the UK equivelent, shorter holidays, not so good maternity leave packages, etc.

No matter how much investigation one does, it never prepares you enough for the reality and I read this article which did scare me a little:

http://britishexpats.com/articles/ca...an-experience/
I don't believe this person was 'having a go', she was simply expressing an opinion and her own personal situation, experiences and views, however it does make you 'raise the eyebrows' a little.
Hi, I have lived in Vancouver since 1968. If Calgary is on your list and employment is a concern, Calgary maybe your best bet. There is a real shortage of workers due to a runaway economy. If you don't mind chilly but sunny winters, it is a great place to live.