Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone

Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:09 am
Just Joined

AUS7IN316 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello Everyone

New to the forum so just wanted to say a big hello to all the ex pats and others. Recently moved to Maple Ridge BC. and have mixed feelings so it would be nice to hear from fellow Brits.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello Everyone

Originally Posted by AUS7IN316
New to the forum so just wanted to say a big hello to all the ex pats and others. Recently moved to Maple Ridge BC. and have mixed feelings so it would be nice to hear from fellow Brits.
Welcome to BE,

Intrigued by your Screen Name...what's that all about!

We're over the mountains from you in Okotoks, Alberta...what troubles you!?

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:29 am
Just Joined

The name is a long story, basically I look like steve austin the wrestler. I guess I just miss old friends and not having anyone to really talk to, well no one on the same wave length anyways
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

The name is a long story, basically I look like steve austin the wrestler. I guess I just miss old friends and not having anyone to really talk to, well no one on the same wave length anyways
How recently did you move across and is it just you? We moved here in October 07. We have both had spells where we have struggled with feelings re missing family and friends, especially Jan. In the first 5 months or so, Jan had some really low points. It would come over her in waves and she would feel like that for days on end. We kept pushing ourselves to get out, to meet people (even just chatting to a neighbour for 5 minutes), to do things we wouldn't or couldn't have done in the UK and it would help to get her head above water again. As time has gone on, the severity and frequency of those negative feelings has declined although they still crop up from time to time. In our view, if you have friends and family back home that you love, to feel this way is entirely normal. The important things for us were and are:
a) not to beat ourselves up over feeling that way and
b) to talk about it - if there's no-one out there in Maple Ridge to help you with that then there sure is on British Expats and
c) to not give in to it...remind yourself of the positive reasons for coming here and go and engage with this new life (not always easy but necessary)

We're absolutely certain that you will find massive support on this forum.

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:53 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your positive words, it reassures me to think there will be people here to talk to
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you for your positive words, it reassures me to think there will be people here to talk to
Have you had a look at The Maple Leaf forum yet? All off topic stuff. General level of stupidness...very high! Even if you don't post a lot in that forum, it can bring a smile to your face to read some of the things that others contribute.

Feel free to PM us if you want to chat at any point.

Kind regards,

E&J
PS: Despite what it must look like, honestly, we're not the only ones who post on here...others will be along in due course!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 6:59 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Aus7in

Welcome to BE.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

babycart has a spectacular aura aboutbabycart has a spectacular aura aboutbabycart has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

Moved to Maple Ridge 2 months ago with family of 3 kids- I would say it is normal to have mixed felling about the move at this stage. We live on the East side of Maple Ridge, & although a bit more rural, it feels a bit more like Canada should be rather than the urban sprawl Metro Vancouver has become ( hey you can't halt progress). If you want to have a chat I will PM you my e-mail address.

Last edited by babycart; Aug 28th 2008 at 5:17 am. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:47 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Welcome to BE

Hope things settle down for you soon