Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hello from another 'hopeful'!

Hello from another 'hopeful'!

Old Aug 6th 2008, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Will-Only-Miss-Quorn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello from another 'hopeful'!

Hi everyone - have been reading through these forums and wiki for quite a few weeks now, since we started talking seriously about moving to Ontario.

I have to say how brilliant it is that we live in the age we do. I can't imagine whet it must have been like in previous decades for people trying to make probably the biggest decision of their lives! The internet and this site in particular, has already proved invaluable for answering so many of the questions we've had, and no doubt will continue to be invaluable for us as the application process unfolds for us.

So, thank you to the person or persons who set up this site and to everyone who contributes. It's so, so helpful!

Well, we've made the decision and have filled in the simple application to go down the skilled worker's route. Just waiting for our bank draft to arrive so we can send them off together, then, as the saying goes, there's no turning back!

We're a family of 4 (5 if you count the dog!) - hubby's an HR professional, I'm a civil servant and the kids are coming up to 15 & 11.

Needless to say, we wish we'd done this years ago, when the kids were small. It's a particularly difficult isue with timing as our son is about to begin year 10 (his GCSE years!) and will continue with A levels and a degree. Lord knows when it might become 'our turn' in the queue, but it will be very difficult to disrupt his education if it happens mid-way through his A levels. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Anyway, like many now and in the past, despite the pleasant lifestyle we have here, we're very much looking forward to escaping the UK's soaring cost of living, the ridiculous decisions our government continue to make on our behalf and, of course, the ever-growing 'chav culture'...

Wish us luck!

Regards,

Karen.

P.S. Apologies to 'Will_only_miss_Eastenders' for knicking the user-name idea! Couldn't resist! We're veggies and again, thanks to this forum, have already discovered there's gonna be one downside to living in Canada, but, hey-ho...
Old Aug 6th 2008, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from another 'hopeful'!

Originally Posted by Will-Only-Miss-Quorn
Hi everyone - have been reading through these forums and wiki for quite a few weeks now, since we started talking seriously about moving to Ontario.

I have to say how brilliant it is that we live in the age we do. I can't imagine whet it must have been like in previous decades for people trying to make probably the biggest decision of their lives! The internet and this site in particular, has already proved invaluable for answering so many of the questions we've had, and no doubt will continue to be invaluable for us as the application process unfolds for us.

So, thank you to the person or persons who set up this site and to everyone who contributes. It's so, so helpful!

Well, we've made the decision and have filled in the simple application to go down the skilled worker's route. Just waiting for our bank draft to arrive so we can send them off together, then, as the saying goes, there's no turning back!

We're a family of 4 (5 if you count the dog!) - hubby's an HR professional, I'm a civil servant and the kids are coming up to 15 & 11.

Needless to say, we wish we'd done this years ago, when the kids were small. It's a particularly difficult isue with timing as our son is about to begin year 10 (his GCSE years!) and will continue with A levels and a degree. Lord knows when it might become 'our turn' in the queue, but it will be very difficult to disrupt his education if it happens mid-way through his A levels. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Anyway, like many now and in the past, despite the pleasant lifestyle we have here, we're very much looking forward to escaping the UK's soaring cost of living, the ridiculous decisions our government continue to make on our behalf and, of course, the ever-growing 'chav culture'...

Wish us luck!

Regards,

Karen.

P.S. Apologies to 'Will_only_miss_Eastenders' for knicking the user-name idea! Couldn't resist! We're veggies and again, thanks to this forum, have already discovered there's gonna be one downside to living in Canada, but, hey-ho...
Hi Karen and co,

Welcome to BE. Great screen name tho as meat eaters ourselves, quorn hasn't made it to the top of our "we so miss..." list just yet!

Your comment re how others have coped with this move pre the internet is one that we have often remarked on. My (Eamonn here) parents had a couple of years in Toronto back in the 1950's and I find it hard to imagine how big an information black hole they must have been operating in back then. As you've been reading the site for a while now, I'll skip the almost obligatory link out to the WIKI as you're bound to have found it by now. You'll also probably be aware of the debate on the Immigation Forum re the status of new Skilled Worker applications and the fact they are just getting piled up at present. Take a look here if needs be...
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521862

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet
Old Aug 7th 2008, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Will-Only-Miss-Quorn is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Eamonn. Yes, I have dipped in and out of that thread. The whole situation is mind boggling in places, but my research has shown me that HR professionals are in demand out there so there is every chance we could be 'cherry picked' by those nice immigration people.

Otherwise, when the time is right, if there seems no progress with our application, then we may well have to resort to the TWP/LMO route... However, what we don't really want is to burn all our bridges and move out there on a TWP to find something happens with the job and we're not allowed to stay. That would be an awfully big risk to take with our family's lives!

Anyway, our bank draft has now arrived in the post so I'm just off to the PO to do the deed!

Karen
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Will-Only-Miss-Quorn
Thanks Eamonn. Yes, I have dipped in and out of that thread. The whole situation is mind boggling in places, but my research has shown me that HR professionals are in demand out there so there is every chance we could be 'cherry picked' by those nice immigration people.

Otherwise, when the time is right, if there seems no progress with our application, then we may well have to resort to the TWP/LMO route... However, what we don't really want is to burn all our bridges and move out there on a TWP to find something happens with the job and we're not allowed to stay. That would be an awfully big risk to take with our family's lives!

Anyway, our bank draft has now arrived in the post so I'm just off to the PO to do the deed!

Karen
Sounds like you've really thought through your strategy. Totally understand the concern re "upping sticks" on the back of a TWP. We were fortunate to get our PR status in a comparatively reasonable timescale by current standards and as would be your preference, sorted out our employment on the back of having that certainty. Hope it all works out well for you.

Kind regards

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all

Hi Karen & Family,

welcome to BE. Good luck with your plans - hope everything works out for you all.

Regards

Sue