hello

Old May 4th 2008, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Smyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really nice
Default hello

hello
i'm new here and was just wanted to know if you could help me with a few questions.
i am going to canada on a year long work visa in august.
i justed want to know if i will be able to drive on my uk licence for the year?
and will i be able to open a bank acount when i get over there?
thanks
Smyth
Old May 4th 2008, 10:14 pm
Nearly there! Tick, tock!

Erinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to all
Smile Re: hello

Hi Smyth and welcome to the forum.

With regards to driving, you will be able to use your UK license, but as they are easy enough to pick up from the Post Office, get yourself a International Driving Permit.

You will be able to open a bank account no problem - i opened a one with RBC on my last recce.
Old May 4th 2008, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Smyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really nice
Default Re: hello

Originally Posted by Erinbrooke
Hi Smyth and welcome to the forum.

With regards to driving, you will be able to use your UK license, but as they are easy enough to pick up from the Post Office, get yourself a International Driving Permit.
thanks for the quick relpy
will they last for the year?
if i buy a car would i be able to insure it?
Smyth
Old May 4th 2008, 10:22 pm

Erinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to all

yeah they last for 12 months.

you will be able to insure OK, but try to find an insurance company that take UK no claims history, as insurance can be quite steep for newly landed immigrants/foreign workers.
Old May 4th 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I have to disagree with you here. My understanding is that you can only drive on your UK licence for 90 days. You then have to get a canadian license. The exact process varies depending upon the province.
Old May 4th 2008, 10:55 pm

I'll check but am sure the International Driving Permit covers you for 12 months......

But will stand corrected if wrong.
Old May 4th 2008, 11:01 pm

International Driving Permit

About IDPs

An International Driving Permit (IDP) allows you to drive a private motor vehicle overseas when accompanied by a valid UK driving licence. IDPs are valid for 12 months from the date of issue.

Just copied the above from the AA website. I know it still does not say how long you can drive but does say the permit is valid for 12months.
I will persue the matter further.
Old May 4th 2008, 11:03 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I'll check but am sure the International Driving Permit covers you for 12 months......

But will stand corrected if wrong.
IDLs are valid for visitors, not for temporary work permit holders (beyond the grace period that each province allows -- 3 months is fairly common).
x
Old May 4th 2008, 11:08 pm

Thanks Judy.
Old May 4th 2008, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Like most things, regardless of the info you get in the UK, the Canadian authorities will have it their way. You just have to accept it.

I think that in Ontario you can just exchange your license (not sure though), but in most provinces some form of driving test is required.
Old May 4th 2008, 11:27 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
I think that in Ontario you can just exchange your license (not sure though), but in most provinces some form of driving test is required.
Yes, I recently learned that Ontario exchanges British drivers' licences. Alberta also exchanges UK licences (excluding those from Northern Ireland and the Channel Isles).
x
Old May 4th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

NS don't, just taken my test, theory not too bad and driving even easier with 15 mins of driving with 1 stop and 1 reverse
Old May 4th 2008, 11:48 pm

Cool Re: hello

How much did that cost you SD102?
Old May 5th 2008, 12:43 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Yes, I recently learned that Ontario exchanges British drivers' licences. Alberta also exchanges UK licences (excluding those from Northern Ireland and the Channel Isles).
x

I believe Ontario was doing it long before Alberta agreed to. Alberta had just started not long before we arrived in 2005, thus many of their staff were not aware of it, and had to be "persuaded" that it was so!
Old May 5th 2008, 12:51 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

International Driving Permit

About IDPs

An International Driving Permit (IDP) allows you to drive a private motor vehicle overseas when accompanied by a valid UK driving licence. IDPs are valid for 12 months from the date of issue.

Just copied the above from the AA website. I know it still does not say how long you can drive but does say the permit is valid for 12months.
I will persue the matter further.
Just to emphasize the point made by others. The IDP is a waste of paper. You can drive for between 90 and 120 days on a UK license as a visitor, depending on the province. As a resident (and if you have a one year work visa you are classed as a resident) you can only drive up to 90 days on your UK license. Beyond these times your UK license will not be valid, so neither will the IDP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.