Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Heavy Duty Mechanics in Calgary

Heavy Duty Mechanics in Calgary

Old Dec 28th 2011, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

markss is just really nicemarkss is just really nicemarkss is just really nicemarkss is just really nicemarkss is just really nicemarkss is just really nicemarkss is just really nicemarkss is just really nice
Default Re: Heavy Duty Mechanics in Calgary

Has anyone sent off a Qualification Certificate Program Work Experience Application form (alberta) (heavy duty mechanic), and had an answer back?

What did your answer say?
Old Dec 28th 2011, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

A friend of mine did, as far as I'm aware it's a yes or no. It's only an application to sit the journey man test so as long as you have over 9000 hours work experience over 72 months and can provide evidence through previous emloyers you should be ok.

Last edited by Stu_g2004; Dec 28th 2011 at 11:50 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 28th 2011, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

markss is just really nicemarkss is just really nicemarkss is just really nicemarkss is just really nicemarkss is just really nicemarkss is just really nicemarkss is just really nicemarkss is just really nice

I should be fine for hours and months as been with same employer for 20 years.

Didnt think you could take it before you started work in Canada, but just proves you can. Will fill out forms and send it off. Did your friend have to get his copies notarized by a notary public?

Thanks
Old Dec 28th 2011, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

I've not, I'm just waiting for a reply from aait, as far as I'm aware he didn't either. But to be sure PM him, I see from a previous reply he said you could. Shaun_and_em
You need to send it to Edmonton not Calgary , the office has moved
Old Dec 28th 2011, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

stuham33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markss
Stuham33

Have you taken your HGV lience or is it called class 1? What is the test like if you have.

I really want to take it, as I have class 1 here in the UK.

Thanks
No, I had mine in the uk also but didn't carry it over here. I can't remember if it is callled a class 1, but you need to do a seperate course for an airbrake endorsement. Like I said I didn't carry mine over so it might not be fully correct what I am passing on.

Shaun_and_Em, Yes I now work for one of the oil companies up in Fort Mac as a heavy duty mechanic.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Shaun_and_Em is an unknown quantity at this point

I should be fine for hours and months as been with same employer for 20 years.

Didnt think you could take it before you started work in Canada, but just proves you can. Will fill out forms and send it off. Did your friend have to get his copies notarized by a notary public?

Thanks
I believe that you can sit the exam prior to starting work, however it is a case of how much you will know due to the lingo i.e. wrench meaning spanner etc. On the other hand we are the guys that Stu is talking about we applied in November and had a response via letter in the post by mid December to say something along the lines of "We are pleased to inform you that having reviewed your application we can confirm that you are eligible to taking the following test....." blah blah blah, though this letter is valid for one year from the date on the letter, if you dont use it by then (i.e. take the exam) then I believe that you would have to reapply.

Shaun spoke to a lady at the office I think that her name was Carmen and she said that we didnn't need this notarizing so we didn't and it was still approved! So I wouldnt waste the pennies.

It's much easier than it seems
Old Dec 28th 2011, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Shaun_and_Em

Thanks for info on notarizing, as we were going to pay the pennies. Will be doing this asap, as we are due to land in May. All exciting stuff
Old Dec 28th 2011, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Just a hint, send it registered mail!!!!
NOT normal air mail like I did, took over 3 weeks to get their.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

What address did you send it to. Have been told they have moved to Edmonton.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

What address did you send it to. Have been told they have moved to Edmonton.
Alberta apprenticeship and industry training
7th floor south tower
Seventh street plaza
10030 107 street
Edmonton
AB
T5J 4X7
Old Dec 28th 2011, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

in the woods will become famous soon enough

Stuham33

Have you taken your HGV lience or is it called class 1? What is the test like if you have.

I really want to take it, as I have class 1 here in the UK.

Thanks
i took mine a year ago in nova scotia you need to get your air brake first then another test for driving big trucks both multi choice only takes a few mins each then a medical then do your road test if you hit less than 3 things you pass
Old Dec 31st 2011, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

justme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nice

Has anyone sent off a Qualification Certificate Program Work Experience Application form (alberta) (heavy duty mechanic), and had an answer back?

What did your answer say?
Hi Mark,

We just got ours back on Xmas eve, with a positive. Be careful to fill in the form correctly and have any documents notorised. If you need any help give me a shout.