Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Healthcare / Insurance on IEC Visa

Healthcare / Insurance on IEC Visa

Old Oct 28th 2012, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

RahLa is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Healthcare / Insurance on IEC Visa

Hey everyone, not sure whether i've posted this in the right place so please do poke me in the right direction if I've messed up

So I'm headed to Toronto in April 2013 on an IEC visa for a year and I'm mulling over my insurance choices for the year. My problem is that I'm overwhelmingly under informed on the subject of insurance! Haha.

I was wondering whether anybody would be able to advise me as to how I go about getting prescription medication / cost/ whether this could come under some insurance etc? I have hypthyroidism, which means that I have to take levothyroxine daily. Now here in England I get it all free as it's a lifetime medication, but obviously I'm not Canadian, so I expect to have to pay for it there. My understanding is that my doctor can prescribe three month's worth of levo for me to take with me, and that's that. But obviously I have another 9 months where I will need medication. Is it going to cost me an absolute fortune to see a doctor, have my diagnosis confirmed (as i'm sure will be necessary being abroad) and get my tablets? Or is there some sort of travel insurance that might cover me at least partially for this?

I do apologise again if i'm asking in the wrong place or if i'm not making much sense?! But any replies and any help would be genuinely gratefully received!

Much love, Rah x