Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Health seeking behaviour of Canadians/ attendance at the GP surgery

Health seeking behaviour of Canadians/ attendance at the GP surgery

Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:22 am
Just Joined

Flaykee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health seeking behaviour of Canadians/ attendance at the GP surgery

I know our community has been on a drive to recruit doctors for the medical centre here. We're a small community of about 4000, about 3 hours from the nearest city so I guess that's why they have problems keeping doctors. I am fortunate to have a fantastic family doctor but can sometimes take a week or more to get in to see her. In urgent cases, we usually have to see a locum or the nurse practitioner (who will assess) or visit the emerg at the hospital.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 11:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
The walk in clinic I used to use was on the edge of china town, your first language seemed to be used as a priority system
If you were Chinese , you went to the front of the line
I used to go to the one in Little India with an, er, undocumented resident. That was great because they were used to dealing with that situation and had a stock of expired drugs, "spare" OHIP numbers and the like. I don't think you'd get the same service in an Having English As First Language facility.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 2:03 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
In most of Canada there seems to be a shortage of GPs. It seems inconceivable that a GP, if they have a choice in where to locate, would not be able to find sufficient patients to make a viable practice.
A GP wanting to come here would probably have a street named after him/her. There are about 250,000 people in this city. An estimated 80,000 do not have access to a GP.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

segs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant future

Great to know souvy
Where is 'here'?
We're looking at guelph
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:32 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by segs
Great to know souvy
Where is 'here'?
We're looking at guelph
'Here' is nowhere near Guelph. I'm in Quebec, near Ottawa.

There is a massive shortage of GPs in Quebec.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Problem I find with walk in clinics is the lack of on going care. My OH had severe depression, he was given tablets, 6 month supply, end of care. After slmost a year of me nagging and eventually almost leaving him he went and got different tablets, again 6 month supply, end of care, thankfully these ones worked, however he has stopped taking them, because he feels fine. I'm just waiting for the crash.

I find walk ins fine for quick fixes to easy illnesess but awful for more complicated ones.
Can he get a referral to a psychiatrist?
Old Jun 11th 2013, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

To add to what Souvy is saying, it would be a statue erected to any doctor who came here!!

Some people have mentioned walk-in clinics...we don't even have those.
Half the population doesn't have a doctor. So it's off to outpatients even for a simple routine request.
I accompanied somebody to outpatients the other day as he needed help with constipation...nothing major!
We arrived at 9:30am and left at 5:45pm!!!!

PLEASE COME TO SOUTH WEST NOVA SCOTIA...WE NEED YOU!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by segs
Great to know souvy
Where is 'here'?
We're looking at guelph
It is very difficult to find a gp in guelph. When I was looking last year, none were taking new patients. Luckily, my common-law partner's doctor agreed to take me on. He only found his doctor because of some connection through his church. Before that, he had been relying on the walk-in clinics.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chanceUK
It is very difficult to find a gp in guelph. When I was looking last year, none were taking new patients. Luckily, my common-law partner's doctor agreed to take me on. He only found his doctor because of some connection through his church. Before that, he had been relying on the walk-in clinics.
It really is all about connections... We only have a GP because we are friends with the Practice Manager!!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 1:18 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by DandNHill
To add to what Souvy is saying, it would be a statue erected to any doctor who came here!!

Some people have mentioned walk-in clinics...we don't even have those.
Half the population doesn't have a doctor. So it's off to outpatients even for a simple routine request.
I accompanied somebody to outpatients the other day as he needed help with constipation...nothing major!
We arrived at 9:30am and left at 5:45pm!!!!

PLEASE COME TO SOUTH WEST NOVA SCOTIA...WE NEED YOU!
Sod off!

I saw him first.

Fortunately, I don't get sick. If I ever find myself having to throw myself at the mercy of a hospital ER department for something like a throat infection, I will sandpaper my forehead before I go and claim that I fell and hit my head. That'll get me in front of a doctor PDQ.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvy
Sod off!

I saw him first.

Fortunately, I don't get sick. If I ever find myself having to throw myself at the mercy of a hospital ER department for something like a throat infection, I will sandpaper my forehead before I go and claim that I fell and hit my head. That'll get me in front of a doctor PDQ.
Watch what you say or I will put a curse on your tooth!!!!!

I like your thinking! Very devious! Wish I had thought of that one, it would have saved me from insanity!!!!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

segs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant future

Thank you thank you thank you for your encouraging replies
Hopefully it'll work out and he'll have a full list in due course!