Reload this Page >

health and safety

health and safety

Old Jan 7th 2010, 7:23 am
Just Joined

beefo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default health and safety

Hi again folks,
Does anyone know where you can study e-courses / online courses in this field .from the uk .

maybe looking into training for a border security officer any info on this process would be great .

thanks again

keith
Old Jan 7th 2010, 7:26 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: health and safety

Originally Posted by beefo
Hi again folks,
Does anyone know where you can study e-courses / online courses in this field .from the uk .

maybe looking into training for a border security officer any info on this process would be great .

thanks again

keith
CBSA would generally be looking to hire Canadian citizens...

What sort of H&S training were you thinking about? Requirements often depend on what province you are looking at.
http://www.iapa.ca/Main/Catalog/ecourse.aspx
Old Jan 7th 2010, 7:33 am
Just Joined

hi iaink,
I have worked on road re-surfacing ,footways, etc most of my life
I am not sure if there is a course for just this field or if its a general health and safety course i would need.
I have looked into obtaining the NEBOSH general certificate but after reading a few posts from here and another site people are saying that its pretty worhtless in canada.

keith
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Smyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really nice

Hi again folks,

thanks again

keith
i work for a very big firm in winnipeg doing main roads big car parks putting down 1500 ton a day. and i did not need any health and safety cards. what type of visa are you getting?
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:42 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again folks,

thanks again

keith
You should google the workers' compensation board of the province you are interested in. They will have information on the H&S qualifications recognized in the province.

Also, working for CBSA may be a long-term goal but is not really an option for a new arrival.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going down the Health and Safety route a CRSP designation is a very handy certificate to have
Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I may have misread your question I took it as you were looking to go down the health and safety route as a career
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:21 am
Just Joined

HI NLDFC.

I am keeping an open mind , i have thought about going down the h&s route as a career and i have already looked at the nebosh course in the uk but i have reservations about it as people have said that its worthless in canada so i was asking if anyone knows of the same type of course that i could do online / e-course here in the uk , or online / e-courses i could do before i get to canada (certificated courses).

thanks

keith
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:28 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

H&S as a career is tricky. It seems an incestuous little occupation, everyone knows everyone else, those in the training and consultancy side seem to have finally escaped working for the Ministry of Labour after 25 , 30 years time served. Those working as professional H&S coordinators tend to either be poachers turned gamekeepers, or very long serving workers for larger companies. I get the impression its not the easiest paying career to get yourself into as an outsider.

FWIW my involvement in safety is as an unpaid management JHSC rep...everyone else took a step back when they were looking for volunteers
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks iaink

Great points and i have taken them on board, maybe i should just stick to what i know best ( asphalt), i hope to make contact with a few companies when out in calgary in may and take it from there.

I was just getting a bit bored with the asphalt but maybe a new life in canada will with a new company is just what the doc ordered.

Thanks

keith
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud of

If you do carry on working the road gangs, remember in the summer you can expect to work 24/7 and in the winter you may pick up snow clearing work,

If you are looking to retrain, maybe look at the Flooring/ tile setting trade, all year round work, UK skills excepted with no problem and good rates of pay
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Bonsai will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I work in H&S in a national role for a large Canadian employer.

NEBOSH, Chartered Safety Practitioner status of IOSH etc count for little here (unfortunately). If you want to invest your time (from a distance) to gain a qualification and accreditation recognised in Canada then do the CRSP course by distance learning, then sit the exam. If you pass you will be able to use the CRSP designation after your name and that seems to carry some weight over here. Similarly some online courses with CCOHS (Google it) will be recognized by a prospective employer.

Good luck!!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bonsai

Do you know what courses with the ccohs that are more recognised in canada my friend?
As I would be looking to start asap and maybe do a few if possible.

Thanks for your time

keith
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Bonsai will become famous soon enough

Hi Keith,

The CRSP would still be the one to opt for generally...but to start with the CCOHS courses that I would go for would be the freebies...there are a few on there...Violence in the workplace...Pandemic Planning etc etc. See how you get on with those and then see whats out there in relation to the Canada Labour Code Part II or the Occupational Health and Safety Acts and Due Diligence etc -WHMIS is always a good one too..its equivalent in the UK is COSHH....if you go to the Health and Safety Executive Site in the UK - you will see reference to COSHH.

Good luck and happy reading.

Last edited by Bonsai; Jan 12th 2010 at 12:36 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

CRSP designation will certainly get your foot in the door - Very difficult exam to pass (45% failure rate ) and if I remember correctly the exam is only offered twice a year .You also have to be eligable to sit the exam - its not just as straight forward has wanting to do it ( eligability here ----> http://www.bcrsp.ca/designation.html)

http://www.bcrsp.ca/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.