Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Health insurance for Canada

Health insurance for Canada

Old Apr 11th 2014, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Oldkingcol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health insurance for Canada

Can anyone recommend a good Canadian health insurance company,who charge reasonably please.We need one to obtain our visa,and the company's that have been given us by those obtaining our visa seem VERY expensive!.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 8:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance for Canada

Originally Posted by Oldkingcol
Can anyone recommend a good Canadian health insurance company,who charge reasonably please.We need one to obtain our visa,and the company's that have been given us by those obtaining our visa seem VERY expensive!.
What visa is it? If you're using an immigration consultant then I assume it's a PR visa? There's no insurance requirement for PR.

The only visas I know of that require insurance are the IEC and Supervisa, but I assume you're not using an immigration consultant for one of those!

If you can clarify, that would be great, as each visa route has different requirements and even those that do need insurance require different things.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What visa is it? If you're using an immigration consultant then I assume it's a PR visa? There's no insurance requirement for PR.

The only visas I know of that require insurance are the IEC and Supervisa, but I assume you're not using an immigration consultant for one of those!

If you can clarify, that would be great, as each visa route has different requirements and even those that do need insurance require different things.
The health ins is for our grandparent Supervisa,and yes we are using a consultant,Visamigrate!,and we are experiencing problems with them!.We need all the help and advice we can get!.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 8:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The health ins is for our grandparent Supervisa,and yes we are using a consultant,Visamigrate!,and we are experiencing problems with them!.We need all the help and advice we can get!.
OK, in which case apologies, I've not heard of anybody needing a consultant for a supervisa application, it's rare to use one for such a short application, so I assumed it was for PR! You also asked about your son having to earn a certain amount to sponsor you for PR the other day, which added to my confusion - just checking, but you are aware that your son also has to earn the amount for the supervisa application as well? When did your son move to Canada?

But in any event, insurance probably won't be cheap due to your age (I won't ask!), but you can have a look at the companies named in this Wiki article for quotes.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medical_Insurance-Canada
Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that.my wife has just informed me that Visamigrate are NOT consultants!,they are just a company trying to get our visa!but they did recommend some very expensive companys!.When we eventually get our visa and plant feet on Canadian soil,we do wish to go for PR,and our son will put us foreword,God bless him!,so will the type of ins change then?
Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for that.my wife has just informed me that Visamigrate are NOT consultants!,they are just a company trying to get our visa!
So in which case, they are immigration consultants - that's what consultants do, get visas for people. Visa migrate are definitely immi consultants, although I'm concerned to note that they don't appear to have their ICCRC number on their website, which they're supposed to display. They say they're accredited by ICCRC, but without displaying that number or even the name of their licensed consultant, how are people supposed to check?!

When we eventually get our visa and plant feet on Canadian soil,we do wish to go for PR,and our son will put us foreword,God bless him!,so will the type of ins change then?
You won't need insurance for a PR app, only for supervisa, as you're really only visiting on a supervisa so you don't qualify for healthcare in Canada - whereas once you're a PR, you will do.

Your son does earn enough to qualify to sponsor you for the supervisa/PR, yes? And how long has he lived in Canada, definitely enough time? I know you were asking about his earnings the other day, so just wanted to flag it in case you hadn't realised he also needs to earn a certain amount for the supervisa too.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Yes,our son has passed the £ test with Visamigrate,so we are ok there thanks.He and his wife have got PR,I think they have been out there 4 years now.
As for Visamigrate,we are having problems,but as we have paid some £ upfront,I'm reluctant to abandon ship at the mo.The last bits of the jigsaw are health ins,and then our medicals.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Is there a special ins the company's do for the Supervisa ,or is it covered by general healthcare?
Old Apr 11th 2014, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

How about Blue Cross? My son had to be covered for the first year we were here and they were reasonable. Obviously he was only young (19) so it would be more expensive for you guys but worth enquiring...

http://www.bluecross.ca/
Old Apr 12th 2014, 2:52 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Is there a special ins the company's do for the Supervisa ,or is it covered by general healthcare?
Minimum of $100K and covers the applicant for health care, hospitalization and repatriation. From a Canadian company.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Great thanks folks!,I've whipped an email off to blue cross for a quote.A thought had crossed my mind though,what happens if you pay up for this insurance to get your visa,and then are turned down!!!!!.Do you just lose your $ ? .
It seems a catch 22 situation,you need the ins to get the visa,but when you've got it,you could be turned down!.Or have I got this all wrong?.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 8:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes, you would lies you money although tbh, the chances of being refused for a supervisa are fairly low as long as you (and your son) meet all the criteria and you don't fail the medical.

If for any reason you were refused, at least you could use it for normal visits, so you probably wouldn't lose money as you'd need insurance for them anyway.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, you would lies you money although tbh, the chances of being refused for a supervisa are fairly low as long as you (and your son) meet all the criteria and you don't fail the medical.

If for any reason you were refused, at least you could use it for normal visits, so you probably wouldn't lose money as you'd need insurance for them anyway.
Not sure you would lose it. If memory serves me correctly we were told we would get a refund if my son got PR therefore not needing the cover anymore. We didn't put it to the test as we got PR just as we needed to pay again... So you never know?