Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance BC

Health Insurance BC

Old Oct 31st 2006, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

KateB is a jewel in the roughKateB is a jewel in the roughKateB is a jewel in the roughKateB is a jewel in the roughKateB is a jewel in the rough
Question Health Insurance BC

Hi

Another question from me!!

I am looking at basic coverage $100,000 by David Cummings for medical insurance upon arrival into Canada.

Also it said in the small print that 'Expenses are not payable as a result of a Sickness occurring within 48 hours of the Effective Date.' What do you reckon this means??

If I arrive Monday 13th November by my calculations I need cover for 80 days. Could someone confirm if I have done this right?! I worked it out the balance of November plus December and January with MSP starting 1st February 2007.

thanks in advance!
Old Oct 31st 2006, 2:10 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health Insurance BC

Originally Posted by KateB
Also it said in the small print that 'Expenses are not payable as a result of a Sickness occurring within 48 hours of the Effective Date.' What do you reckon this means??
I would interpret it to mean that if you get sick in the first 48 hours after the start date of the policy they won't cover any expenses for that illness.

In other words they are imposing a 2 day wait period before the policy actually takes effect.

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 31st 2006, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Waiting for proof of BC health coverage

Hi Kate,

We arrived in BC in 2005 on a work permit. We purchased our initial 3 months private insurance as well.

Upon arrival, I filled in the forms (provided by my employers) to activate the allocation of our BC Health cards. It didn't arrive until some time after the initial 3 months. We were told not to worry, but we were concerned that without a card to prove our entitlement to services, we would be made to pay up front for medical care. In the end, we didn't need anything, so we never had to pay for any emergency care.

This next bit won't apply to you if you are not on a work permit:

My BC Health card was dated to expire with my initial 1 year work permit. I re-applied, and my work permit was issued for a further 3 years. However, it took a few weeks for new BC Health cards to arrive with new dates. Again, we were concerned that we had no proof of coverage for that in-between period. We didn't call on any medical services during that period. Instead relying on a fantastic WalMart pharmacist to help us when my partner became sick. We didn't have any money to cover medical expenses at that point as we were in the middle of purchasing a house.

Anyway, I am sure there is someone on the forum that knows the procedure if you were caught in-between the initial private 3 month insurance, and the formal issuing of a BC Health card.

All the best,

Sarah
Old Oct 31st 2006, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting for proof of BC health coverage

Originally Posted by SarahBC
Hi Kate,

We arrived in BC in 2005 on a work permit. We purchased our initial 3 months private insurance as well.

Upon arrival, I filled in the forms (provided by my employers) to activate the allocation of our BC Health cards. It didn't arrive until some time after the initial 3 months. We were told not to worry, but we were concerned that without a card to prove our entitlement to services, we would be made to pay up front for medical care. In the end, we didn't need anything, so we never had to pay for any emergency care.

This next bit won't apply to you if you are not on a work permit:

My BC Health card was dated to expire with my initial 1 year work permit. I re-applied, and my work permit was issued for a further 3 years. However, it took a few weeks for new BC Health cards to arrive with new dates. Again, we were concerned that we had no proof of coverage for that in-between period. We didn't call on any medical services during that period. Instead relying on a fantastic WalMart pharmacist to help us when my partner became sick. We didn't have any money to cover medical expenses at that point as we were in the middle of purchasing a house.

Anyway, I am sure there is someone on the forum that knows the procedure if you were caught in-between the initial private 3 month insurance, and the formal issuing of a BC Health card.

All the best,

Sarah
For CDN and PR who are BC residents, the premiums do get discounted or waived for lower income levels. The info is in the wwwhealth.gov.bc.ca
or email them for more info.www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/contacts.html
Check the website and print out the form for application.

The hospitals have social workers to help people with MSP coverage problems,if you needed medical help.
In my ward we encounter MSP problems from immigrants,visitors and our
social worker is on board to help them out.Things seem to have worked
out for our clients, have not heard any horror stories from them regarding
their med. insurance.
Good Luck, Yoong
Old Nov 1st 2006, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I am looking at basic coverage $100,000 by David Cummings for medical insurance upon arrival into Canada.

If I arrive Monday 13th November by my calculations I need cover for 80 days. Could someone confirm if I have done this right?! I worked it out the balance of November plus December and January with MSP starting 1st February 2007.

thanks in advance!
Hi
we started our effective date two days before we landed,to get instant cover, as our travel insurance terminated when the aircraft landed at the airport.
luckily we didn't use any insurance, although I broke a toe,but it didn't need a doctor to diagnose that, or how to treat it...
cheers
Jerry
Old Nov 1st 2006, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi
we started our effective date two days before we landed,to get instant cover, as our travel insurance terminated when the aircraft landed at the airport.
luckily we didn't use any insurance, although I broke a toe,but it didn't need a doctor to diagnose that, or how to treat it...
cheers
Jerry
What did you kick Jerry?
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

KateB is a jewel in the roughKateB is a jewel in the roughKateB is a jewel in the roughKateB is a jewel in the roughKateB is a jewel in the rough

Hi Jerry,

That makes sense, I'll start mine with effective date 11th November.

Do you know why they do that?

thanks,
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:02 pm
Oakville, Ontario

dancath will become famous soon enough

!
Hi kateb,
congrats!! glad things are moving quickly for you guys
Which company did you use and what was the premium and what is covered, I will have medical ins after a 3 month probationary period at work so only need ins for 3 months and want best deal!!! Just had medical so awaiting that work visa hopefully not long now!!
good luck in the move hopefully we will join you soon although in Toronto!!!!

thanks in advance!!