Reload this Page >

Health coverage of pregnant wife in canada

Health coverage of pregnant wife in canada

Old Oct 1st 2018, 7:37 am
Just Joined

parassapra is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Health coverage of pregnant wife in canada

Hello Everyone

I have a query and will be really grateful if you could guide me in this respect.

I am from India, and was granted my PR in Express entry (FSW) in october 2017.

My marriage was scheduled in Feb 2018 and thus i could not travel before marriage. After marriage i informed IRCC and returned my COPR and added my spouse's application to mine and applied again.

Now both of ours visas are processed and we are planning to land in Vancouver (BC) by end of November 2018.

While the joint application for Visa was put up and when my wife's medical examination was conducted here in India she wasn't pregnant but now she is and by the time we land in Canada , she will be around 3 months pregnant.

I want to understand if there is any way i can get healthcare benefits to cover for gynaecologist visits, blood work, regular checkups and delivery through MSP or any other insurance.

If so are there any waiting periods ?

Thank you very much for your valuable advice in advance

Regards
Paras Sapra
Old Oct 1st 2018, 2:10 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health coverage of pregnant wife in canada

Originally Posted by parassapra
Hello Everyone

I have a query and will be really grateful if you could guide me in this respect.

My marriage was scheduled in Feb 2018 and thus i could not travel before marriage. After marriage i informed IRCC and returned my COPR and added my spouse's application to mine and applied again.

Now both of ours visas are processed and we are planning to land in Vancouver (BC) by end of November 2018.

While the joint application for Visa was put up and when my wife's medical examination was conducted here in India she wasn't pregnant but now she is and by the time we land in Canada , she will be around 3 months pregnant.

I want to understand if there is any way i can get healthcare benefits to cover for gynaecologist visits, blood work, regular checkups and delivery through MSP or any other insurance.

Regards
Paras Sapra
I have no direct experience of the BC system, but had a similar dilemma a dozen years ago in Ontario.

The short answer is that you and your wife will have to wait the regulation time (3 months, usually) before Provincial healthcare kicks in. To cover that three months, you can buy private insurance - somebody like Blue Cross - but you will need to make sure they'll cover Ob/Gyn visits for somebody who is already pregnant when they travel. The answer will likely be yes, but there'll be an additional premium to pay. In my OH's case this was taken care of by my employer, but I had negotiated that in advance as I was coming over as an intra-company transferee. We paid up front for every visit/procedure and claimed back through insurance afterwards. In every case we had the funds returned before the credit card bill was due

For labour & delivery, unless something goes pretty dramatically wrong with the pregnancy, you'll have coverage by then.

Hopefully somebody with more recent - and more BC-specific - experience will be along soon to give more helpful advice
Old Oct 1st 2018, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a 3 month wait period for BC as well. You need private health cover in the interim.
Old Oct 1st 2018, 5:40 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parassapra
Hello Everyone

Regards
Paras Sapra
Unless you HAVE to live in BC, you should look at moving to a province that gives you healthcare from Day 1 while your wife is pregnant.