Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

health cover in BC

health cover in BC

Old Dec 30th 2006, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of
Default health cover in BC

Hi
Help needed urgently!
I am arriving in Vancouver - Tues 2nd Jan and am struggling to locate Canadasure to arrange healthcare cover for the 3 months initial period. Their website address is 'currently under construction' and they have not responded to my voicemail. I know from this site that many of you have recommended Canadasure before but are there any other similar companies that I could access online in the next 24-48 hrs!
Thanks for your help in advance

Elaine
Old Dec 30th 2006, 3:14 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: health cover in BC

I don't know about British Columbia specifically, but the following companies offer medical insurance across most of Canada, if not all of Canada:

* Manulife

* Blue Cross

* Sunlife

* Greenlife

* Great West Life

The challenge is that it's now Saturday in Canada, they're typically closed on Saturdays and Sundays, and Monday will be a public holiday (New Year's Day). They'll re-open for business on Tuesday, January 2, 2007.

But I hope the information helps nonetheless.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Higgy is on a distinguished road

Hi there

The Canadasure website has been under construction since July when I tried to get insurance for my son who was coming over to join us ( I also only had a few days notice). I e mailed them and this is the reply I got.

Thank you for your enquiry into Canadasure. Apologies for the website
currently being under construction, however you can purchase the policy over
the telephone. Our toll free number is 1-800-436-6267.

This is the only company I have found that insures you from the minute you leave the UK. Blue Cross etc will only insure you from setting foot in Canada. I could also find no UK insurance companies that would insure us for the one way trip to Canada as you had to be a UK resident.

I hope you manage to get insurance for your trip. Of course, since leaving the UK we have now paid thousands of pounds and dollars in medical insurances and never had to claim anything.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Griff
Hi
Help needed urgently!
I am arriving in Vancouver - Tues 2nd Jan and am struggling to locate Canadasure to arrange healthcare cover for the 3 months initial period. Their website address is 'currently under construction' and they have not responded to my voicemail. I know from this site that many of you have recommended Canadasure before but are there any other similar companies that I could access online in the next 24-48 hrs!

Elaine
http://www.canadasure.com/index.php

checked out the canadasure website and did not get the under construction message? didnt go through with a quote though. If i remember rightly i printed off the form and then faxed it to them and they responded within a hour to tell me we were covered from the date requested.

Ok, forget that, tried a quote and got the construction message. I remember now what i done, we contacted them via there contact page and they sent us the forms via email which we then faxed back to them. Hope this helps.

Last edited by jempee; Dec 30th 2006 at 7:16 pm. Reason: checked the site out better!!!
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

allie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud of

It was under construction last January too! I landed on the 29th January so I risked the 2 days and just bought 2 months coverage from BCAA when I arrived. (MSP then kicked in but I've been much healthier here and have only been to the GP to get a referral to an opthalmologist.)
Old Dec 31st 2006, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Allie, you are correct with the site not accepting internet bookings. I phoned them and booked a family of 4 over the phone for about £380 and got electronic confirmation that day.
You could arrange it when you are actually in Canada and do not have to pay UK insurance tax which would save you about £50 providing you can get travel insurance for the flight.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Hi Allie, you are correct with the site not accepting internet bookings. I phoned them and booked a family of 4 over the phone for about £380 and got electronic confirmation that day.
You could arrange it when you are actually in Canada and do not have to pay UK insurance tax which would save you about £50 providing you can get travel insurance for the flight.
Thanks to you all for your help and information
Elaine
Old Dec 31st 2006, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

allie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud of

BTW if you choose to buy the Canadasure AFTER you land, you must do it within 15 days or you will have to use someone else such as BCAA
Old Jul 12th 2007, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Jaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Griff
Hi
Help needed urgently!

Elaine
All,

I have just on onto the www.canadasure.com website, which seems to be up and running now......

Does anyone know if this is the only company that can offer medical cover within the 3 month period......

Thanks

Brian