Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Heading to Vancouver, seeking advice.

Heading to Vancouver, seeking advice.

Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:05 am
Just Joined

Clarky1314 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heading to Vancouver, seeking advice.

Hello

I am a 26 year old male looking to gain employment within a marketing role in Vancouver. I currently live in Glasgow - Scotland and I am looking to move to Canada in May/June this year to work for at least a year.

I have a BA in Marketing (with honours) from Caledonian University and currently work in a digital marketing and web design agency in Glasgow. I have experience in research, advertising, online/offline marketing, customer relationship marketing and copy writing.

I have never done any real travelling and I am struggling to find the right information about gaining employment in my field in Vancouver.

I've came across a number of websites offering internships and working holidays, but this isn't what I’m looking for.

Ideally I want to get a job advance of moving to Vancouver, find accommodation and move - Can it be that simple?

Apologies if my post seems daft, but I really don't know the best route to take. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:15 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading to Vancouver, seeking advice.

Hi, and welcome to BE.

I moved one of your three? identical posts to start a new thread in the right forum. Please read the "Read me" posts at the top of the forum, and the wiki is probably going to be usefull to you too.

Good Luck
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks, I wasn't even sure where to post it. Not a great start.

Thanks Again.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:53 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clarky1314
Ideally I want to get a job advance of moving to Vancouver, find accommodation and move - Can it be that simple?
Rarely is it that easy any more.

Do you have a work permit or residency for Canada? If you do the following may help. If not that would be first of things to do.

Just heard on the news that graduates from Canadian Universities are having a hard time finding jobs and should also expect lower wages.

Unless you have some special skills that are not available in Canada, finding a job from overseas, probably not impossible, but pretty close. From what you say you do, there is not really a shortage of candidates already in Canada. If you have a portfolio that would help a great deal, even putting one online and e-mailing a link would help. Many job searches through e-mail are frustrating, however in the tech industry they would likely be more successful, especially with a link to a portfolio.

Be careful looking for accommodation online, there are lots of scams going on. Maybe check into a motel for a couple of weeks and look for a rental from here.

Have enough cash to keep you going for at least 3 months and keep a buffer at all times. The hiring and firing culture here is way different to Europe.

For many it takes a while for everything to come together, but usually does. Do plenty of research, have a plan B and enough back up cash to hold you over if you have to resort to plan b.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 3:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks for replying.

I don't have a work permit or anything yet, at this stage I'm just seeing how plausible it is to gain employment in Canada relevant to my degree. I have cash saved up to tie me over, but I wouldn't risk coming over without definite employment and accommodation as I don't want to be left skint after three months and have to come home.

I've contacted a number of recruitment agencies to gain advice but none of them have got back to me.

I have family in Vancouver through my gran, but being an old buddy she only had their home address, so I have sent them a letter and I'm waiting to hear back from them.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 3:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I've just replied to your thread in the Welcome Inn, and also asked about visas! I'm confused why you've discounted a Working Holiday Visa, as it seems your ideal option?

I don't have a work permit or anything yet, at this stage I'm just seeing how plausible it is to gain employment in Canada relevant to my degree.
If you don't want to go down the WHV route, then it will be much harder obviously. Presumably you are aware of the steps an employer will have to take to hire you on a normal Temp Work Permit, and the LMO application process?

I have cash saved up to tie me over, but I wouldn't risk coming over without definite employment and accommodation as I don't want to be left skint after three months and have to come home.
Well, if you went over without a visa and only enough money for three months then you'd definitely be returning home after that time - no chance of getting a job and work permit sorted within 3 months! Even if you found a job offer immediately (although it's unlikely to be straight away in the current economic climate), then your employer has got the LMO (12-16 weeks current processing time), you're looking at at least 4/5 months.

I have family in Vancouver through my gran, but being an old buddy she only had their home address, so I have sent them a letter and I'm waiting to hear back from them.
They won't be able to help you with the visa side of things, but may well be able to advise you on places to stay etc, so that's good.

Hope the above helps, good luck.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 3:11 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I engage the services of half a dozen design, media and marketing agencies in Vancouver. Without exception they've laid off staff in the past 6 months. Trying to secure a job from afar in that field is going to be tough, unless you have exceptional skills and experience.

I know of 2 Brits that got intra-company transfers to Vancouvers offices, from London. They worked for a couple of global players, Cossette and Y&R.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 3:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I wasn't even sure where to post it. Not a great start.
Read the sticky thread entitled 'Newcomers to the Forum' (or follow the link to it in my signature) and it will give you all the info you need on how to use the forum, including which bit of the forum is for what.

Old Jan 26th 2012, 3:13 am
Just Joined

Cheers, I wasn't sure how to work the forum and posted all over the place. I replied to your other post though.

Thanks.