Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Having Doubts...

Wikiposts

Having Doubts...

Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:22 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having Doubts...

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
Well, our planned return to Toronto is almost entirely to do with employment rather than for the sake of our children's future. However, having lived there before, we already know what we are heading to and I think that helps us a lot.
As were all of ours.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Something no one has touched that i noted is kids dont get out of the hard stage...if anything it gets harder the older they get...the best time to emmigrate is before the kids are of school age.
We did that; our dauther was just shy of a third birthday when we came over, so she has grown up here. Guess what? She wants to move back to the UK; she finds Canada dull and backward. So even if you get them over here early -- for all those extra opportunities, etc -- they may still decide that Canada is too parochial for their taste.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:46 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
We did that; our dauther was just shy of a third birthday when we came over, so she has grown up here. Guess what? She wants to move back to the UK; she finds Canada dull and backward. So even if you get them over here early -- for all those extra opportunities, etc -- they may still decide that Canada is too parochial for their taste.
Good for her. But I'm going to quibble with the phrase "move back to the UK". If she came at under 3 there's no way she has a memory of it. She rather wants, I presume, to use her dual citizenship to explore elsewhere. As I said good for her. Of course for all I know you and she go back twice every year, which might invalidate my remarks.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Appreciating all the replies so far. To be truthfull we have swayed between thinking "just stay for the moment".... to "what if we are letting this opportunity pass us by".....

Canada pro's + cons for trying to emigrate now:

- better 'future' opportunities for kids?... PRO
- So called better Standard of living? (IF we secure good jobs we and we get a house in leafy suburbs) PRO
- We have all visa application documents, Current IELTS etc.. PRO
- New / better job surroundings, conditions and opportunities for us PRO

- Unfamiliar / uncertain surroundings , No family / friend network CON
- NO guaranteed job for a so called in demand skill! CON

# This last one to be honest is really our main factor.

We just cant see that if we have a successful application this time around, There is NO clear cut route in for my wife to get us that all important job offer. She will have to study, sit exams, re-train, all at our own expense and with 2 young kids it just seems to much hoop jumping

Reasons for staying put "for the moment"

- Help with raising two young babies - family + friend support, reliable and familiar surroundings. PRO
- Secure enough jobs (Fire Service + Nurse) PRO
- Decent enough standard of living (currently stay in 2 bed flat / would move to 2/3 bed house) PRO
- Leving the idea of emigrating, we feel we might miss our opportunity. CON

Ill leave it at that for the moment as my head is spinning!!
Old Mar 15th 2012, 11:39 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

With respect to Nursing, isn't it also the case that your wife, once retrained, might only get casual work to start with, less attractive shift pattern, last on the list for choosing when vacation is taken etc etc, until she has built up the all important seniority? That's what I understand from new (Canadian) recruits to the nursing profession in this part of the world at least. That might be worth investigating/factoring into your plans.

Also, getting a paid job as a firefighter in Canada is difficult IMHO. Many smaller communities work on a volunteer basis. Sure you already know that.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Good for her. But I'm going to quibble with the phrase "move back to the UK". If she came at under 3 there's no way she has a memory of it. She rather wants, I presume, to use her dual citizenship to explore elsewhere. As I said good for her. Of course for all I know you and she go back twice every year, which might invalidate my remarks.
Fair quibble! She has been back a couple of times, but she finds her cousin's lifestyle more "interesting". Then again, her cousin lives in London, and no way can Calgary be compared with that (or any other large town in the Europe). JMHO. And, besides, teens do change their minds as often as their hairstyles.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 9:41 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Good for her. My guess is that she won't be too troubled by all the chavs and Daily Mail scaremongering, rather she'll be too busy going to festivals and traveling around Europe to bother with them.

It does make one think that those who choose to emigrate to somewhere like Canada or Australia are probably not the most bold and the bright. I bought I better add, I mean a lot (not all) of people who emigrate here are those who are mostly frightened off by the perceived social pathologies in the UK.

Last edited by Oink; Mar 16th 2012 at 9:50 am.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
It does make one think that those who choose to emigrate to somewhere like Canada or Australia are probably not the most bold and the bright.
You mean like this guy and his team?

http://communications.uwo.ca/cerc/

Or do you mean people like you?

What a load of nonsense.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 10:41 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

Or do you mean people like you?

What a load of nonsense.
I guess he means people like dbd33, novocastrian and countless other bright sparks who post on here. And himself of course.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 10:42 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

It does make one think that those who choose to emigrate to somewhere like Canada or Australia are probably not the most bold and the bright. I bought I better add, I mean a lot (not all) of people who emigrate here are those who are mostly frightened off by the perceived social pathologies in the UK.
This isn't a perception I share. In my experience it has often been the opposite.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Good for her. My guess is that she won't be too troubled by all the chavs and Daily Mail scaremongering, rather she'll be too busy going to festivals and traveling around Europe to bother with them.

I wonder if the people who are frightened of the chavs and hoodies in the UK, are very disappointed to find that they, in fact, exist in Canatopia? Less street crime? I'm sure that the poor beggar shot by a complete stranger in Calgary the other evening, might have something to say about that! We never really bought into the "UK bad-Canada good" mantra. Perhaps we missed the "blue Kool-Aid line-up" when we arrived.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 11:10 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
This isn't a perception I share. In my experience it has often been the opposite.
Really? Don't most people who go to Canada do so to get away from all the things they fear in the UK to come to place that's boring and dull? So, it naturally attracts those who are less curious or adventurous. If they weren't wouldn't they'd choose go and live in somewhere like Papua New Guinea, Bolivia or Burkina Faso? Its not a judgement, its just a statement.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

Of course like many of us, we come because we're the best and brightest thus command very high salaries to fill positions Canadians can't. That said, many more engage in the emigration process to escape the perception that the UK is failing and by extension move to a place that they think is not failing.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 12:22 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I guess he means people like dbd33, novocastrian and countless other bright sparks who post on here. And himself of course.
Like the man in the article Ned posted, I came here for the money. I've got it now so I'm pissing off.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 12:30 pm
Born again atheist

Fair quibble! She has been back a couple of times, but she finds her cousin's lifestyle more "interesting". Then again, her cousin lives in London, and no way can Calgary be compared with that (or any other large town in the Europe). JMHO. And, besides, teens do change their minds as often as their hairstyles.
I wonder if the people who are frightened of the chavs and hoodies in the UK, are very disappointed to find that they, in fact, exist in Canatopia? Less street crime? I'm sure that the poor beggar shot by a complete stranger in Calgary the other evening, might have something to say about that! We never really bought into the "UK bad-Canada good" mantra. Perhaps we missed the "blue Kool-Aid line-up" when we arrived.
Good for her is wearing a bit thin, but I'll add a good for you. It sounds like you've brought your daughter up to think for herself. You should be proud that she has more ambition than your average Canadian.

I like to think that when my elder son finally gets off his arse he'll go to Europe (or somewhere else of his choice). His German needs practice but he used to be bilingual and his French is at least as good as mine. To quote a poster who I'm sure everyone else has forgotten, "The World's his Lobster".

The younger son is irretrievably assimilated alas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.