Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Have the Hummers visited you yet?

Have the Hummers visited you yet?

Old May 5th 2005, 11:32 am
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice
Default Have the Hummers visited you yet?

One of the things which amazed me last year in BC were the humming birds. I never associated these amazing little creatures with Canada, but I have been following their migration patterns with interest ever since.

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Have they visited you yet?

Any 'secrets', [apart from red feeders], for attracting these tiny birds?
Old May 5th 2005, 12:04 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Have the Hummers visited you yet?

Originally Posted by Scouse
One of the things which amazed me last year in BC were the humming birds. I never associated these amazing little creatures with Canada, but I have been following their migration patterns with interest ever since.

When I lived in Victoria there were a few resident Anna's hummingbirds in my neighbourhood and many Rufus(?) hummingbirds throughout the warmer months. When I lived there I planted a lot of Bee Balm, Salvia, day lillies and other stuff I can't remember the names of in my garden and I suspect many other people in the neighbourhood did as well. The local garden shop had sections "plants to attract bees or beneficial insects or hummingbirds or butterflies or bats or whatever" and I just bought a variety of stuff. I have noticed the hummingbirds seems particularily attracted to the Bee Balm and the Salvia (that's why I know their names!).

Amazing little birdies aren't they? Thanks for that link.
Old May 5th 2005, 12:37 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I just love them, mesmerising. I was like a big kid when I first noticed them in the garden. We dont do anything special to attract them, just hang the feeders. Its still a bit too soon in ontario...usually June/July on.

Dont but the special food, just a 1 part sugar 4 part water solution is OK. The whole feeder doesnt need to be red, but Keep everything really clean, and you can use the same solution to attract orioles..the bird, not the cookie.
Attached Thumbnails Have the Hummers visited you yet?-hummer.jpg  

Last edited by iaink; May 5th 2005 at 1:13 pm.
Old May 5th 2005, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I just love them, mesmerising. I was like a big kid when I first noticed them in the garden. We dont do anything special to attract them, just hang the feeders. Its still a bit too soon in ontario...usually June/July on.

Dont but the special food, just a 1 part sugar 4 part water solution is OK. The whole feeder doesnt need to be red, but Keep everything really clean, and you can use the same solution to attract orioles..the bird, not the cookie.
How wonderful, anyone know if I am likely to see any in Edmonton!
We had a pair of blue Jays in the garden when we first arrived, they were beautiful! I would love to see the little Hummingbird.
Old May 5th 2005, 9:14 pm
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Linda P
We had a pair of blue Jays in the garden when we first arrived, they were beautiful! I would love to see the little Hummingbird.
I'm not an expert, but I don't think you are likely to see any of these amazing little birds.

http://home.pacifier.com/~neawanna/h...ol.html#bottom

Perhaps somebody with more local knowledge could help!!
Old May 5th 2005, 9:24 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

I'm not an expert, but I don't think you are likely to see any of these amazing little birds.

http://home.pacifier.com/~neawanna/h...ol.html#bottom

Perhaps somebody with more local knowledge could help!!
You know they are in Nova Scotia aswell.
We viewed a house that had the Humming Birds as a selling point.
Old May 5th 2005, 9:34 pm
Gone Walkabout

Originally Posted by Crispie
You know they are in Nova Scotia aswell.
We viewed a house that had the Humming Birds as a selling point.
Yes, I know. They really are amazing little birds.

They average about 20 miles per day, but can cross the Gulf of Mexico [approx 500 miles?? ] without stopping!!

I have just totally fallen for these little things!!

I am a volunteer at a wild-bird rescue centre, which deals with eveything from Owls to Eagles to Blue-tits [when it's really cold!!], but hummingbirds really get me excited!!

Sad, or what!!
Old May 5th 2005, 9:49 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

Yes, I know. They really are amazing little birds.

They average about 20 miles per day, but can cross the Gulf of Mexico [approx 500 miles?? ] without stopping!!

I have just totally fallen for these little things!!

I am a volunteer at a wild-bird rescue centre, which deals with eveything from Owls to Eagles to Blue-tits [when it's really cold!!], but hummingbirds really get me excited!!

Sad, or what!!
Will ask your advice on how to induce them to our garden feeder...
when we get a house, a garden, a feeder...... a pr permit....
Old May 6th 2005, 6:24 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Linda P
I've seen Ruby-throat hummingbirds near Edmonton (in Vegreville near the Ukrainian heritage village where there were a lot of wild flowers in bloom), so I suspect if you can attract them, you'll see them.

Edit: if you look at the first map Scouse provided a linked to: http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html you can see that they will eventually get there and it looks like you could follow their progress. Cool eh?

"Thanks to the 3,429 people who reported their first hummers of 2004!" LOL!

Last edited by hot wasabi peas; May 6th 2005 at 7:03 am.
Old May 6th 2005, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Well we should see some hummers this weekend as it is the time for them to arrive. Actually I think the first sighting last year was end of April but last weekends weather would have put them all off. The are very territorial and it great fun to watch them argue over the feeder...I keep telling them there is room for 4 but do they listen.....no!
Old May 6th 2005, 1:35 pm
Gone Walkabout

Originally Posted by Corky
Well we should see some hummers this weekend as it is the time for them to arrive. Actually I think the first sighting last year was end of April but last weekends weather would have put them all off. The are very territorial and it great fun to watch them argue over the feeder...I keep telling them there is room for 4 but do they listen.....no!
Yes, apparently several sightings have already been reported, Corky, so the weekend looks good!

Feisty little beasties, aren't they!!