Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used Air Transat to visit Canada?

Has anyone used Air Transat to visit Canada?

Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone used Air Transat to visit Canada?

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
We tried to take sandwiches on the plane Gatwick direct to Halifax as the kids generally don't really like the in-flight meal (who does). we were told that we were not allowed to take food on the plane.

Sounds like it just depends who is on the desk.
Do you ask permission from desk staff? Just do it
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Got picked up on the bag check when the bags went through the xray machine.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Got picked up on the bag check when the bags went through the xray machine.
It did? What was the filling
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Must have been really strong cheese

I don't know that they knew what it was from the machine, probably just a blur, but when it came out the other end they looked in it and said that we couldn't take them through.

Jobsworths!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 3:14 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

We tried to take sandwiches on the plane Gatwick direct to Halifax as the kids generally don't really like the in-flight meal (who does). we were told that we were not allowed to take food on the plane.

Sounds like it just depends who is on the desk.
I've taken rolls and snacks (including apples) on all my flights back and forth to the UK, never had a problem. I'm either on BA or Air Canada, not sure if that makes a difference.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:11 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by startwin
I've taken rolls and snacks (including apples) on all my flights back and forth to the UK, never had a problem. I'm either on BA or Air Canada, not sure if that makes a difference.
Food or drink items no longer permitted through security at the bag check.

However you can purchase food and drink items in the boarding area to take on the plane with you.

Nice little money making scheme for the vendors.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Food or drink items no longer permitted through security at the bag check.

However you can purchase food and drink items in the boarding area to take on the plane with you.

Nice little money making scheme for the vendors.

That was our experience too and as you all know prices seem to treble once you pass through into the boarding area

Lynne
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:38 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nicola N-A
We've used Canadian Affair which have both Air Transat and Thomas Cooks flights - we have had both. Never had a problem with either (nor have any family members).

In each case, we've had e-tickets, which we printed off once payment/confirmation was sorted out. Felt a bit strange going to check in with a sheet of A4 paper I'd printed - but all was in order and no problems.
I have in the recent past travelled without a ticket (a swipe of my passport was enough) and also using a reference number written on the back of a cigarette packet.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:22 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I have in the recent past travelled without a ticket (a swipe of my passport was enough) and also using a reference number written on the back of a cigarette packet.
likewise (except it was on the back of the last flight's boarding card instead of a fag packet). I haven't tried AC's BlackBerry check-in thing yet (I'm holding out against being issued with a BlackBerry) but colleagues use it regularly... web check-in in the cab on the way to the airport and they just scan your BlackBerry screen at the departure gate, no paper required at all at any stage.

Originally Posted by Beastie
That was our experience too and as you all know prices seem to treble once you pass through into the boarding area

Lynne
maybe it's different for internal flights... I haven't had a problem taking food with me through security for AC flights between Toronto and Calgary, Vancouver or Montreal in the last few months.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

kidmeup is an unknown quantity at this point

i flew with transat from manchester to calgary and i cannot complain about them too much.plenty of leg room with the seats as i am 6ft 3in and was concerned about the seating arrangements.the upgrade isnt worth the cash for the extra leg room.
the food isnt really upto much,but like others have said,you get what you pay for.
e tickets were issued to me and no probs with that.just remember the liquids etc etc when trying to get through customs and if you do buy any duty free and travelling on from calgary,make sure you pack it in your suitcase NOT hand luggage or you WILL LOSE IT FOR SURE
hope this helps
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

walkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nicola N-A
We've used Canadian Affair which have both Air Transat and Thomas Cooks flights - we have had both. Never had a problem with either (nor have any family members).

In each case, we've had e-tickets, which we printed off once payment/confirmation was sorted out. Felt a bit strange going to check in with a sheet of A4 paper I'd printed - but all was in order and no problems.
we have had exactly the same!!, but i would recommend choosing the Thomas cook flights as they ahve LOTS of leg room, and nice food!
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:16 am
Just Joined

sue1959 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hace used Air Transa twice to go to Toronto from Shannon. The first time the plane was delayed by 1 day, mechnaical problems, but we were put uop in hotel for the night given vouchers for free meals and we each received CAD$100 back. This was when the SARS epidemic was on so the ground staff at Shannon wouldn't supply the plane with food. The meals ended up being sandwiches and chunky Kit-Kats but were better than any in flight food I've ever had! The 2nd time they had newer aircraft which we found comfortable, but I've only short legs so that might have made a difference. If yu need leg room I would advise booking your seat beforehand.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

ibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the rough

Hi to all of you

I just came back from Calgary using Air Transat. It was OK given the cheap fare compared to BA or Air Canada. Good value for money. Food was decent.
You have to pay for everything on board but its worth paying cos there was a difference of £400 in airfare so i dont mind paying 80 pence for a 150 ml can of Coke, £2.50 for a set of earphones, £2 for a cup of tea.with a free Twix.
i would fly with them again if there is a big fare difference i.e., more than £200 but i will use the other airlines like BA or Air Canada if the price difference is less than £50.
The other good thing was that Air Transat was on time for both outgoing n return trips. Flyglobespan was always delayed by 5-6 hours on 3 separate occasions on 3 different days. My cousin told me as she works for Air Canada in Calgary and she deals with angry Flyglobespan passengers.

Ibby
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 12:49 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
The helpful, non-descript uniformed types at Manchester guarding the check-in desks for either Zoom or Canadian Affair flights will not let you through to check in unless you can show an official enough looking piece of paper (old fashioned ticket or printout of e-ticket). It's not clear what authority these people have (immigration staff? customs staff? airline bouncers? UK style airport welcome volunteers?) but these days in Britain asking that sort of question is likely to result in you missing your flight.

That said, I've never had problems getting solid food through security.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by acer rose
The helpful, non-descript uniformed types at Manchester guarding the check-in desks for either Zoom or Canadian Affair flights will not let you through to check in unless you can show an official enough looking piece of paper (old fashioned ticket or printout of e-ticket). It's not clear what authority these people have (immigration staff? customs staff? airline bouncers? UK style airport welcome volunteers?) but these days in Britain asking that sort of question is likely to result in you missing your flight.

That said, I've never had problems getting solid food through security.

This bunch of numpties? I always think they're failed traffic wardens or such... http://www.ictseurope.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.