Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ski'd on Calgary's Olympic Park?

Has anyone ski'd on Calgary's Olympic Park?

Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:21 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone ski'd on Calgary's Olympic Park?

Originally Posted by Loki117
The Piest map in my first post above ^^
Heh! Oh yes.

There's parking at the top of the hill behind the big flag pole .... I think the marker slipped a little!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Hey you! How are the knees doing?????
My knees are doing GREAT ! thanks. It was a little tough at the beginning of the second surgery, but its all good now.

Last edited by Mountain Girl; Aug 18th 2008 at 3:43 am.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Crash7
Has anyone ski'd or snowboarded on Calgarys Olympic Park hill?

Could you tell me how big it is?

How many runs are there?

What colour are they?

Is it suitable for a begineer?

Any and all info appreciated

Thanks
COP is a training hill, unless you like Park/Pipe, then it's not too bad....

There are a couple of fast-chairs, so quick laps are possible...

Excellent for Beginners.... Indeed, if you're totally new then it's worthwhile clocking up a few hours worth of lessons here before spending $20-$40 in fuel and $70 on a day-ticket to a bigger mountain.

If you are a good rider, the COP is useful for after work.... Just to clock up the hours really, so you're ready for the big rides at the weekend

Intermediates looking for cruisers would be bored though.

Too late now, but there was an Early-bird pass for $300 this year (it's still only $500 full price, i think?)... So can work out quite cheap... think of it as a Snow-Gym!

Of course, like any ski-hill, it is fully weather dependant.... and not being in the mountains, COP suffers from the pretty extreme variations that Calgary gets during the winter. They do have a ton of snow-guns to support mother nature though.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Crash7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smelly
Norquay is nice for an afternoon, but does get a little icy. Its definitely smaller than Nakiska.
Nakiska is looking better and better! - Happy days!

I havent been to Kicking Horse yet, the OH isnt up to it and the last thing I want to do is take her somewhere extreme and break her confidence!

In time I intend to do a road trip and include, Kicking Horse, Golden, Panorama, Castle Mountain & Kimberly

Roll on winter!!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I havent been to Kicking Horse yet, the OH isnt up to it and the last thing I want to do is take her somewhere extreme and break her confidence!

In time I intend to do a road trip and include, Kicking Horse, Golden, Panorama, Castle Mountain & Kimberly
Roll on winter!!

Now that sounds like a plan.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Roll on winter!!

The 'Horse is awesome.... If you're a good (and fit!) rider.

The map will show a lot of green areas at the bottom, but these quite often fall below the freezing level and get quite slushy.

I say fit... as if you look at their map, there is one long Gondola and a 'top-up' chair. You pretty much end-up having to ride all the way down every run or two... Powder at top, packed in the middle, slush at the end.... you will definatley feel the burn!!

But the ridge-lines at the top are awesome!... A black at the 'horse is a double-diamond at the other mountains... there is some ver very good terrain!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ramsey
The 'Horse is awesome.... If you're a good (and fit!) rider.

The map will show a lot of green areas at the bottom, but these quite often fall below the freezing level and get quite slushy.

I say fit... as if you look at their map, there is one long Gondola and a 'top-up' chair. You pretty much end-up having to ride all the way down every run or two... Powder at top, packed in the middle, slush at the end.... you will definatley feel the burn!!

But the ridge-lines at the top are awesome!... A black at the 'horse is a double-diamond at the other mountains... there is some ver very good terrain!

Thanks, this is good info, I will definately be trying the Horse! - I like to think I am relatively fit, but I still suffer from the dreaded burn! It sucks! But as you mentioned on long runs I think its a given!

Are the blacks at KH steep or technical? Generally speaking, particularly in Europe blacks are usually no steeper than red's but are narrow and littered with mogals, which on a snowboard arent great fun!

Cheers
Old Aug 19th 2008, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, this is good info, I will definately be trying the Horse! - I like to think I am relatively fit, but I still suffer from the dreaded burn! It sucks! But as you mentioned on long runs I think its a given!

Are the blacks at KH steep or technical? Generally speaking, particularly in Europe blacks are usually no steeper than red's but are narrow and littered with mogals, which on a snowboard arent great fun!

Cheers
It depends on your definition of "Technical" really..... If you want steep, then yes, if you want trees, then yes, rocks to hop off, then yes... If you want seriously steep chutes where "technical" involves dodging cliff faces and boulders, the double-yes!

Dont get me wrong....There are runs there for the intermediate skier, but I would think you would get bored pretty quick.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Nice one, sounds like a blast!

Have you (Or anyone else) every riden 'Fortress Mountain' opinions?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Nice one, sounds like a blast!

Have you (Or anyone else) every riden 'Fortress Mountain' opinions?
Nope!... has been closed every time i've been here previously.

Weather it will open again is anyones guess (lots of politics there!)

I was driving past the access road at the weekend and was considering borrowing a snowmobile and water-ski tow this winter
Old Aug 19th 2008, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

im going to buy a COP pass for this season, sure its small, but its also less than 15mins from most people in calgary.. so ill be going most days that im not going up to the mountains.. even an hour or 2 before or after work will be worth it. especially weekdays and evenings..

plus the beginners lessons are superb. about $45 for 2 hour lesson, ski/board hire and a full day lift ticket.. when i started to snowboard i was going from the top on the 1st lesson.. great way to learn before heading to the hills.

as for the real hills, well i snowboarded most of them last season but ill be buying a sunshine pass this year. to me it was the best.

it has the most snow, longest season. is huge and the snow is rarely icy or slushy.. plus i cant think of any reason why lake louise is worth the extra 45 min drive.. lake lousie is fun, but sunshine is just as good/ or better...
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
im going to buy a COP pass for this season, sure its small, but its also less than 15mins from most people in calgary.. so ill be going most days that im not going up to the mountains.. even an hour or 2 before or after work will be worth it. especially weekdays and evenings..

plus the beginners lessons are superb. about $45 for 2 hour lesson, ski/board hire and a full day lift ticket.. when i started to snowboard i was going from the top on the 1st lesson.. great way to learn before heading to the hills.

as for the real hills, well i snowboarded most of them last season but ill be buying a sunshine pass this year. to me it was the best.

it has the most snow, longest season. is huge and the snow is rarely icy or slushy.. plus i cant think of any reason why lake louise is worth the extra 45 min drive.. lake lousie is fun, but sunshine is just as good/ or better...
I agree... COP is great for clocking up the hours... and Sunshine is the best ALL-AROUND hill for a pass, but you do have to commit to getting there early at weekends or face the walk of death from your car to the Gondola base as it has the smallest car park (gondola base = still 20mins from the actual base area!)....
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ramsey
I agree... COP is great for clocking up the hours... and Sunshine is the best ALL-AROUND hill for a pass, but you do have to commit to getting there early at weekends or face the walk of death from your car to the Gondola base as it has the smallest car park (gondola base = still 20mins from the actual base area!)....
yep you do need to get there early, but i do anyway. any minute that the hill is open that is not spent on the snow is a minute wasted in my book. i normally arrive about 8am, and dont leave until the last chair lift (+the ski out)

plus sunshine has the longest day too. as the midway point lift doesnt close until 5pm, and then have a good 20mins run back to the car from there... i think last time i was just taking my board off at nearly 6pm!
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
yep you do need to get there early, but i do anyway. any minute that the hill is open that is not spent on the snow is a minute wasted in my book. i normally arrive about 8am, and dont leave until the last chair lift (+the ski out)
I could not agree more, if you going to pay for a pass and travel there from Calgary you may as well get your monies worth!

How much is a season pass for Sunshine? I personally prefer LL but the points you raise are good ones and make sense and when you weight everything up Sunshine comes out on top!

And as it is not RCR controlled there isnt a ban on kickers like at LL
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

I could not agree more, if you going to pay for a pass and travel there from Calgary you may as well get your monies worth!

How much is a season pass for Sunshine? I personally prefer LL but the points you raise are good ones and make sense and when you weight everything up Sunshine comes out on top!

And as it is not RCR controlled there isnt a ban on kickers like at LL
if you buy one before the end of september then its $749 for an adult. which is what i will be doing.
i think its about $850 after that, however if you buy next seasons pass in the may at the end of the season its about $550..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.