Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has anyone out there succesfully imported a european spec motorbike into Canada?

Has anyone out there succesfully imported a european spec motorbike into Canada?

Old Dec 6th 2007, 6:42 pm
Are we nearly there yet?

Atkule is on a distinguished road
Question Has anyone out there succesfully imported a european spec motorbike into Canada?

I would like to bring my current eurospec bike with when we move to Vancouver. It is less than 15yrs but I have done some research and found out that it has been officially proven that it can be modified to meet current Canadian safety regulations.

Can anyone help? Have any of you succesfully done this? Without being rude, please don't post and say "Can't be done" I've heard that too many times now! But if you have something positive to say on the subject I'd love to hear your thoughts.

The usual answer I get is "Can't be done" but I'm not giving up that easily when I've already got as far as discovering it can be modified, and that's official.

Any advice appreciated, TIA
Old Dec 6th 2007, 6:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone out there succesfully imported a european spec motorbike into Canada?

I wont say "It cant be done" then as thats not what you want to hear.

I will say "Its not worth doing if it can be done"

If you are just intending to ride it on a track then bring it, but if you want to insure it and ride on the road then sell it over there where it will make a bit of money and buy a North American spec bike when you get here, it will be way less hassle to get it here and then keep it going once its here, Honest.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 7:09 pm
Are we nearly there yet?

Default Re: Has anyone out there succesfully imported a european spec motorbike into Canada?

Hi Ian,

for responding. You say it wouldn't be worth it but I've looked at the cost of buying again once landed and for the same model & year it's a lot more money than I would make selling it here. Sell here = ca$7000 to buy there ca$12000. This is why I'm so keen to bring it, plus it will double as workhorse transport to start with. My ball park figures suggest that even after shipping and import duties I would be in a better position than if I sold here and bought there. On top of that it is a very customised machine that I've (like bikers do! ) spent way too much time perfecting to let it go unless absolutely nescessary.

Of course I've not landed yet so I can't get a real grasp of what costs what so I may be way off the mark of my calcs.

Here's hoping someone knows what I should do

Cheers, Luke.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 7:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

However, you have to get it here, get it modified, and find a mechanic happy to service and work on a non standard "exotic" import.

Now, bike servicing here is stupid money compared to a car anyway, so maybe that wont cost you a lot more, or you are going to DIY, but the hassle has to have a price associated with it, and what is spares availability going to be like? Why is an oil change and service on a 900cc bike $150+, but a 3l V6 car is like $50?

I am a little surprised that its as expensive to rebuy an older bike here, what is it, a Ducati or something?

Isnt the fun of the mods doing them, not riding them...so you get to have all that fun again

Assuming you are stuffing it in an existing container you are bringing anyway I'm thinking most of the hassle is getting the mods done and then finding spares for it once its here to keep it running...just something to think about.

Good Luck, I dont know why they make it so hard
Old Dec 6th 2007, 7:56 pm
Are we nearly there yet?

Default It's a GS Iain, nothing special..

bmw r1150gs. I do all mods and servicing myself (grew up on a farm ), I wouldn't let a garage grease monkey near it!
It's a standard model bike just the same as ones sold in Canada bar a few minor details like side reflectors and a couple of other minor items. Spares backup for bmw's are pretty good wherever you are in the world.
GS's are all over the place.
Ho hum, it is frustrating this vehicle import malarky
Cheers for your 2p so far
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone out there succesfully imported a european spec motorbike into Canada?-gs-adventure.jpg  
Old Dec 6th 2007, 9:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Ah, that explains

Is that what they had in "The Long Way Round"?

My dad used to own a beemer R65...he used to enjoy taking it apart and putting it back together again in the kitchen. Drove my mum nuts. Nice bikes.

Good Luck getting it in...let us know how you get on.

I take it you have checked out the RIV and CBSA websites on this stuff already?

Last edited by iaink; Dec 6th 2007 at 9:04 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 6:01 am
Are we nearly there yet?

Default Is that what they had in "The Long Way Round"?

Originally Posted by iaink
Ah, that explains

Is that what they had in "The Long Way Round"? That it is. Built like a tractor
My dad used to own a beemer R65...he used to enjoy taking it apart and putting it back together again in the kitchen. Drove my mum nuts. Nice bikes. Your dad has class, kitchens make excellent second garages

Good Luck getting it in...let us know how you get on. Will do

I take it you have checked out the RIV and CBSA websites on this stuff already? I have, going to double check though
Ciao
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

kduk2191 will become famous soon enough

i'm in the same boat. I own a 2002 Suzuki GSX1400, very much my own work, pride and joy, blah,blah that I don't intend parting with.
These are the only 2 ways i've found that you will be able to get it into canada.

1. Strip it down to its component parts. Import it a m/c parts. On the other side build it up put it through the ca equivilent of an sva. I think if you do some digging around same test as a custom builder in ca will put a bike through. It's not like it's right hand drive and gives the game away. Of course if you could a canadian frame on the bay or the likes, you wouldn't have to bother with any test.
2. Find a frame with a V5 that is 15 years and older, use headstock. Not to well up on beemer history though for a good match for the 1150.

I own a 1984 GSX750 katana frame with V5. It will get a 1400cc engine !.

Food for thought.

kduk
Old Dec 7th 2007, 6:52 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

i have absolutely no idea about motorbikes of any kind... but i seem to remember that gloveman's oh brought two of them over. perhaps pm them to ask about their experience?
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

ScottishJim is a jewel in the roughScottishJim is a jewel in the roughScottishJim is a jewel in the roughScottishJim is a jewel in the rough

Hi Atkule,
I also am in the same boat regarding shipping over my R1100RT, I've even checked with the BMW owners clubs in Alberta and because the bike is under 15 years old and does not have "North American" spec Fed codes on it you will have difficulty even getting it into the country. They (the Canadian Border folks) can force you to ship it back to the UK.

The BMW owners club guys and gals reckoned I'd be better selling it and buying a bike in the US as they are much much cheaper than in Canada.
I am now planning getting my Canadian Bike license and having a nice road trip from one of the dry states (Texas, Aridzona or New Mehico) which would be about 2600 miles up to where we plan to be staying in Alberta.
Quite fancy a GS instead of the RT as it's more suitable for the Range roads etc.

If you are `going over on a Temp work permit you can take the bike over but must ship it out of Canada when the Work permit runs out or the status changes ie you become a PR.

If you do find a (legal) way round the red tape let me know.

Good luck

Jim
Old Dec 8th 2007, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Er, neither the two ways I suggested are illegal, which Is I guess what you are saying.
How do you think the custom machines you see in the likes of BSH's are running on say an A reg plate, when they are brand new. They use a headstock & V5.
If you were to buy a canadian frame, and then build up a bike using parts sourced from dealers, the bay, local network etc,etc, again there is nothing illegal with that. So why not import your own parts.

Basically to import a newish bike to Canada is as far as i know impossible, the only way you will get it there is to use the rules to your advantage.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

ScottishJim is a jewel in the roughScottishJim is a jewel in the roughScottishJim is a jewel in the roughScottishJim is a jewel in the rough

Hi kduk,
When I said "a legal way" that was all I meant and wasn't even aiming at any V5 paperwork exercise, so no stones were being thrown at your windows. Sorry if it sounded like I was chucking stones. If BMW made my model of bike 15+ years ago believe me I WOULD be looking for a similar way to get the bike in.
Perhaps I should have reworded it as "a low hassle way".
I do know about what you were suggesting but with the BMW 1150GS being a recent model it might upset Canadian Border agent to look at a V5 document saying BMW R80GS but the bike looking like the recent model high profile Ewan and Charlie lookalike bike.
I suppose this might just be the perfect situation of Border agent stamps all the paperwork cos he is a fellow biker.

When I spoke to BMW club members from Alberta they all said the same thing, either wait till the bike is 15+ years old or sell it and buy a bike in the US. Several of them wanted to ship later models in from Germany or Holland but reckoned the US way was easier. As my bike has only got three and a half years till it is 15 yrs old it is tempting to list it on my "goods to follow" list and ship it later but I think it would possibly be cheaper and definitely more fun to have a road trip from Texas back up to Northern Alberta.
In saying that I would be delighted if I or anyone could find a loophole in the regulations.

Just as a footnote I AM bringing in (hopefully) 4 vehicles ranging from a 1942 World war 2 jeep to a Ex British army 4x4 forklift so I expect to have enough hassle with the Canadian Border people.

Take care

Jim
Old Dec 9th 2007, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

That's cool, unfortunately for us bikers who a have love affair with a particular bike we don't won't part with, I think no hassle doesn't exist.
It's not to bad for me, the GSX750 & 1100 Katana's are bikes that were sold in Canada. Not to bad a conversion to make one bike out of GSX1400/GSX1100. Or that's the theory !.

KDUK
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone out there succesfully imported a european spec motorbike into Canada?-dsc00113.jpg  
Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Hi kduk,
Believe me I do understand how determined yourself and Atkule are to find a way to ship your bikes to Canada. I too am well and truly into the bikes being an all year user in any weather and have found the old 1996 R1100RT that I have to be the best touring bike I have ever used but I had to remind myself that I have plenty of other things to sort out to get to the big picture of getting me and my family (and the Collie dog) over to Alberta so decided to sell the bike.

Still haven't got round to selling it though.

Good luck to anyone trying to get their pride and joy into Canada.

Jim