Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has anyone moved to Canada without ever visiting before?

Has anyone moved to Canada without ever visiting before?

Old Jan 10th 2012, 6:36 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone moved to Canada without ever visiting before?

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
Where are you Oink? And Chookie, where are you? How did you narrow it down to one place! I'm going bonkers trying to narrow it down
It depends on your employment opportunities, but ceteris paribus no one in their right mind would choose anywhere but Vancouver if they absolutely had to live in Canada.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:42 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I would not be happy in West Coast Canada, now. I might be at some time in the future, but not now. I could not live in Alberta, I just couldn't cope with the weather. I have visited quite a bit. I like the East Coast and feel that I could be happy there, and I am sincerely hopeful that I shall be as I arrive in force in August! I have lived in three countries without having visited, but I arrived with a job and company accommodation, and even though I stayed for a number of years it wasn't really 'proper' emigration, just work related wandering. Also I didn't have a husband or child. Now I am going to Canada, I will do my utmost to be happy there, it's a big and important and expensive move, I can't allow myself to feel unhappy or doubtful. Failure is not an option!

Yes Irish Eyes, narrowing your needs and requirements down, can be really difficult - very best of luck.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:10 am
Just Joined

jessamin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

we are planning on moving to canada with three kids without visiting but im doing so much research and my partner has been once before with his work. we have looked in to other places for example australia but we keep coming back to canada.

im taking a big risk and looking into this with not visiting and three children i must be crazy but love a challenge.

Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
I moved here after a grand total of 4 days in Canada for a whistle stop interview. One of those I was pretty jet lagged, one was the interview, and two were effectively sightseeing in Toronto (where the job wasnt but the airport was)

It worked out OK for me long term, but I was single and care free at the time. With family involved and anything to leave behind in the UK in terms of property or a decent career I would definitely take the time for some visits here, winter and summer.
I moved to Canada from South Africa in 1987 and it took me 3 weeks to get PR status. People keep asking me about moving to Canada, but, realistically, how long does it take to get PR status these days? This could have a big impact on their planning.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jessamin
Hi

we are planning on moving to canada with three kids without visiting but im doing so much research and my partner has been once before with his work. we have looked in to other places for example australia but we keep coming back to canada.

im taking a big risk and looking into this with not visiting and three children i must be crazy but love a challenge.

I moved to Canada without a previous visit and it took me quite a while to find what I wanted and where I wanted to live which I would never have determined in a visit for couple of weeks. My opinion is that when taking a recce visit, you look at the country through the eyes of a tourist and it can also soak up some well needed cash. Just my opinion though.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:52 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to Saskatchewan without a recce, been here 4 years and love it. Have visited a few areas since and am still happy. Will I be happy in another 4 years who knows but that's the same with whatever country you live in. Good luck
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Well thats a great question!!! Canada was our first choice but OH is a kiwi so it was the lazy option to be honest as he knew how life was here so it made sense plus all his family are here so it was a chance to spend some time with them too.

The location of NZ is just rubbish. I have tried so hard to make it work here but my heart is just not in it and after 3.4 years here its time to get on with what we really want to be doing with our life. New Zealand is a beautiful place to live tho but its just so far away from the rest of the world and SOOOOOOO expensive to get to the rest of the world from here. Whilst I have got on with life here and enjoyed it the majority of the time, I cant help but wish I was somewhere else so trying to work out if Canada could be the place. I know for certain its not New Zealand. Where abouts in Canada are you looking at?
Well I think 3 years is long enough to decide that it's not for you.

Husband has secured a job in Calgary (awaiting LMO approval). We just absolutely *love* the rockies so it was an obvious choice. We have travelled the world together and visited so many places and the rockies is our absolute favourite. We also both love cold weather so that is something I am actually looking forward to. Neither of us can stand the sun and have done one beach holiday in all the time we have been together and hated it. I can't ski but am looking forward to learning and my son whilst young is very outdoorsy and sporty so we think he will love it. Even our dog loves the snow!
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - I moved to Toronto without doing a recce trip. Loved it. When I moved, I was 24, married, no kids.

However, I would definately advise doing a recce trip if you have kids - even if it's just one parent who does the recce trip on behalf of everyone else.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:33 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Neither of us can stand the sun
You sure you wanna come to Calgary
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Even our dog loves the snow!
My newfie buries her nose in the snow and pushes it along. I think she wants to build a snowman but hasn't quite got the skill set
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
My newfie buries her nose in the snow and pushes it along. I think she wants to build a snowman but hasn't quite got the skill set
Yeah, I had that problem too.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering if anyone has moved to Canada before without doing a recce trip or holidays? I have been twice before but have no real concept of what its like now as I was there back in early 2001 so lots will have changed I guess. I know that you wont really get a proper feel for things unless you actually live there.

We are in the planning stages still but because we live in New Zealand its going to take a massive chunk out of our money to go and 'visit'. So would love to hear from anyone that just picked a part of Canada and moved there......
You're crazy if you do...
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yeah, I had that problem too.
With your newfie or with your snowman building abilities?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:54 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I was there back in early 2001 so lots will have changed I guess.
In Canada?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

We also both love cold weather so that is something I am actually looking forward to. Neither of us can stand the sun )
Hmmm check out Calgary weather - for the last few weeks temperatures have been well above freezing - hardly cold at all. We were going out with just a sweater rather than a coat - and a couple of days could have even done without the sweater.

OK so it snowed today and the wind was blowing it around, but even that wasn't too bad.

Dont get me wrong, it does get cold here, but we also get chinooks that warm everything up, melt all the snow and turn it all to slush.

Plus in the summer it gets DAMN hot and sunny....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.