Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has anyone else done anything worthwhile?

Wikiposts

Old Feb 15th 2012, 2:49 am
Banned

Baleno is a jewel in the roughBaleno is a jewel in the roughBaleno is a jewel in the roughBaleno is a jewel in the roughBaleno is a jewel in the rough
Default Has anyone else done anything worthwhile?

Since I arrived I feel I've been treated really well by all the Canadians I've met plus I've been really lucky in finding a house and work, Canada is treating me very well.

So now I feel like giving something back, I think I'm going to join the local volunteer fire service and save people from burning buildings and cats from trees.

My wife wants to volunteer for something too but doesn't fancy being a firelady.

Old Feb 15th 2012, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone else done anything worthwhile?

Apparently answering questions on this forum could be construed as worthwhile providing that the person asking the question wishes to believe your answer
I know its the Internet but why bother asking the question if you dont think the answer is somewhat right
Volunteering is always accepted as giving something back.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 3:11 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

I volunteer at my kids' elementary school, there is always a ton of stuff that needs doing and the staff are really grateful.

My eldest daughter has also done loads of voluntary work, both as part of her High School diploma requirements and outside of school, eg local soup kitchen, kids' sports clubs, theatre camp,

It's easy to find something to do to help others and that also interests you if you just look. Check your local volunteer website, local paper or at your library for details of current "vacancies".
Old Feb 15th 2012, 3:28 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Food bank?
Old Feb 15th 2012, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the process of joining St John Ambulance as a Medical first responder, lots of applications/background checks! Costs a fair chunk too. Going to be worth it though!
Old Feb 15th 2012, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

Might be worth attending a Timeraiser event, if there's one in your area (and if not, perhaps offer to assist in getting one started up!)

We've been to a couple in Hamilton. Some great things going on in the area that are in need of volunteers, including many we'd never have been aware of otherwise... well worth checking out, if only to get a better feel of what's going on in your area.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

ukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

The Vol FD is a great way to give back and a great way to get involved with your community.
Once you are in I am sure that your wife will be busy with all the things the wives(sig others to be politically correct) of the Vol FD tend to do. Those depts are not the day job type depts and usually fold into your life and become a big part of it. From fund raising for new equipment to fire safety inspections to putting on dances in support of local charities.

I only wish I had one near me I could join.

I know loads of guys that stay involved long after they "retire"

Apart from that there is reserve policing as that tends to be more community based, Food Bank, Salvation Army, local search and rescue, ski patrol, aux coast guard, newcomers assistance centers, PTA, helping at the schools, coaching a sports team, look in the yellow pages under community groups and you should be able to find a club that catches your fancy and interests that needs somone to help for free.

Love that you are giving back - my wife is doing baking and cooking at the school with the kids.

Cheers
Old Feb 15th 2012, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Has she thought about opening up a cheese shop? Quite a few ex pats would probably appreciate that along with Bovril, chocolate bars, knickers, bedding, and cordial or squash drinks?
Old Feb 15th 2012, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Denhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to all

When we first arrived here, my OH and I volunteered with the Hamilton/Burlington SPCA but quickly found that there were SO many volunteers there, we really weren't needed. Now that we're both so much busier with work and studies, we decided that in an effort to still do something to help our community AND keep it local, we sponsor a family in need through the Good Shepherd every christmas. We no longer buy unneccesary tat for family members and use that money instead to buy things for people who really need them and also contribute towards a women and childrens summer camp.
This one might not seem particularly worthwhile, but because I love where I live in Hamilton, I try really hard to shop locally all the time and support the small businesses working really hard to survive around here; much more gratifying than shopping at the big-box behemoths.

Last edited by Denhamgirl; Feb 15th 2012 at 5:07 am.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 5:44 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I owe Canada nothing

This afternoon, my worthwhile activity will be snowboarding up a mountain
Old Feb 15th 2012, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by el_richo
I owe Canada nothing

Dont most snowboard DOWN a mountain ?
Old Feb 15th 2012, 6:02 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I owe Canada nothing

Gravitational anomaly?

I give back by entertaining seniors with live music. To be honest only the heavily medicated are unable to get away, so some people may consider our playing to be more about entertaining ourselves, and I probably wouldnt argue...
Old Feb 15th 2012, 6:09 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I owe Canada nothing

I doubt anyone on here is surprised by your attitude.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 6:15 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Dont most snowboard DOWN a mountain ?
It's much more worthwhile to snowboard up it.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 6:18 am
Beep

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I doubt anyone on here is surprised by your attitude.
Other than the usual financial charges, what pray tell do i owe Canada for living here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.