Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has anyone driven from Toronto to Vancouver?

Has anyone driven from Toronto to Vancouver?

Old Jul 13th 2006, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Toaris has a brilliant futureToaris has a brilliant futureToaris has a brilliant futureToaris has a brilliant futureToaris has a brilliant futureToaris has a brilliant future
Default Has anyone driven from Toronto to Vancouver?

We are due to move to Ottawa in 3 weeks and are flying into Toronto. Now here is the fly in the ointment. My husband Gareth has just had an interview for a job in Vancouver which looks pretty positive. We have made the decision to leave the flights as they are and drive the family and our labrador right across to Vancouver. I really need advice at this stage. Has anyone done this trip? what about good stopping off points with a few hotels? once we have landed can we go down into America, Is it better to do the Canadian route or the American route? please help!!!!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 6:46 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone driven from Toronto to Vancouver?

Originally Posted by Toaris
We are due to move to Ottawa in 3 weeks and are flying into Toronto. Now here is the fly in the ointment. My husband Gareth has just had an interview for a job in Vancouver which looks pretty positive. We have made the decision to leave the flights as they are and drive the family and our labrador right across to Vancouver. I really need advice at this stage. Has anyone done this trip? what about good stopping off points with a few hotels? once we have landed can we go down into America, Is it better to do the Canadian route or the American route? please help!!!!
Daft idea with a dog - its hot (not this minute, but it will be). The drive is looong and utterly boring for the most part until you hit Alberta. I have done it twice. Stop off points are there aplenty, but you will have problems finding main route places to sleep that will take the dog. Honestly - I would stick hubby on a Westjet flight to have his interview and he can fly back to you all the next day.

www.westjet.com.

US route is also faster, if you really want to do this, but only because the speed limits are higher on the Interstates. Again, doggie may pose a problem.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Well - according to mapquest, it's a 40 hours, 39 minute drive (non -stop) and a distance of: 2752.04 miles (US route)

IF you can get a rental company to go with it (assuming you would need a rental). Someone posted recently about the issues of taking a rental (hire) car across the Country! However, IF you have all the time in the world, it could be quite an adventure.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Toaris has a brilliant futureToaris has a brilliant futureToaris has a brilliant futureToaris has a brilliant futureToaris has a brilliant futureToaris has a brilliant future

He's had his interview over here so we would be going to live. But I know what you mean, it does sound mad!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

He's had his interview over here so we would be going to live. But I know what you mean, it does sound mad!
How long do you have between landing and arriving in BC? How old are your kids?

Obviously it can be done (the trip). It just depends on how adventurous you are, I guess. Nothing is impossible, just degrees of difficulty

All I know is, we used to regularly drive across mainland Europe to the UK, with two (later, three) kids under 5, and no dog. It was 12 hours minimum. That was tough enough!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Kids are 11 & 8. Suppose I might have to invest in some good game boy games! I have got a feeling it could turn into an endurance test! We would be giving ourselves a week. The more I think about it the more mad it seems!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Butch, he drove from To. to Calgary with a dog. I'm sure he can tell you all about it.

HTH
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

ralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant future

petfriendly.ca is a website listing accomodation throughout Canada where dogs are allowed. They list everything- motels, hotels, cabins and condo's. This might be helpful for you in establishing a route with suitable stops along the way if you do decide to do it.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Thank you I have sent Butch an email and I will look at petfriendly.ca once I have figured out a route.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:06 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you I have sent Butch an email and I will look at petfriendly.ca once I have figured out a route.
Also try asking dbd33. I think he does trips like that quite frequently.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:37 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

I've got visions of National Lampoons on this one
Go for it though, sounds like a real adventure and you'll take in some great scenery, could get a little boreing after 40 hours though
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Also try asking dbd33. I think he does trips like that quite frequently.
Not Vancouver but several trips to California, Florida, Nova Scotia (illustrated), Newfoundland and many to Colorado. As it happens, we're off to Colorado at the end of the month. This with various combinations of 70lb dog and child in a convertible Mustang. It works for us because :

- the dog is used to long car trips and to sleeping in the car

- the children are either grown up or autistic, either way they're not very prone to boredom

- we're willing to see the car ruined

- we're willing to lie brazenly at hotels/motels "dog, what dog?"

Note that the budget version of the big hotel chains will take dogs subject to not going through the lobby with them ; any place that says "by Marriott" or "by Sheraton", names such as the Residence Inn. Holiday Inns take dogs and so will any Choice/Accor hotel ; Comfort Inn is one of their brands. Since there are four of you and a dog you'll likely want a suite hotel, I'd try to stick with one chain and join their loyalty program (most of them just give you more nights in another identical building but HI gave me a camping stove and a tent and a bicycle, I like staying in the tent better than the HI).

The problem I see with this is cost. I suppose the dog will likely be sick on arrival so you'll have a rental car with high mileage, a one way drop charge and a cleaning charge and hotel costs of, perhaps, US$200/night. I don't think it'll be much fun, cranky children, sick dog; be sure to get a BIG vehicle. Note that you'll need a rabies certificate for the border (just for the dog) though they usually don't ask to see it. You should also check for provincial laws on dogs in cars, I believe unbelted dogs in the passenger area are a problem in some provinces. Also note that as you cross the big flat bit you'll very likely encounter thunderstorms and perhaps twisters, drugs (for dog and people) might be a good thing to have.

Oh and expect to meet some interesting people while you stand begging the dog to crap quickly in some place where they know you "aint from around here, boy". I'd request an American vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone driven from Toronto to Vancouver?-118_1813.jpg  
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Canada all our lives, and have done the trip a few times. If you have all the time in the world, then it's lovely for a young couple to do in a van or a camper. However, with 2 children and a Lab, I would have to advise against it. Going through Canada, from Toronto to Vancouver is at least a 5 day trip. If you plan to stop and see any sights then you can count on about 7 days trip.
Really, look at flying out with WestJet. They are cheap, friendly and the scenery from 30,000' is really great.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to make you aware of the cost involved in this, My freind who will be travelling wanted to drive one way across CAnada in a rental with me as a adventure, however hire car companies will rarely give you unlimited mileage and mileage on that many miles is gonna hurt the pocket, secondly if you are only going one way the hire company will charge you a fee for getting the car back to its original destination. I think our cheapest quote ended up at around $3000 just for the car you have to factor in gas, accomodation and good into that.

If you have the money go for it, im really sad that we just cant afford to do it as its something id love to do, look up the transcanada highway website that will give you route maps, hotels, and drive times great website.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 4:16 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Live a little and thumb it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.