Reload this Page >

hardest things to adjust to in Canada

hardest things to adjust to in Canada

Old May 28th 2004, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

webgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hardest things to adjust to in Canada

hi all,
i am moving to Canada (looking into Calgary for now) next year, and i want to hear everyone's experience? For all your expats, what are the hardest things to adjust to in Canada? What are some of the things you wish you knew before you move there?
Old May 28th 2004, 12:37 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hardest things to adjust to in Canada

Originally posted by webgirl
hi all,
i am moving to Canada (looking into Calgary for now) next year, and i want to hear everyone's experience? For all your expats, what are the hardest things to adjust to in Canada? What are some of the things you wish you knew before you move there?
Winter (Cold, Long)

Missing Friends

Employment requirements

Summer (Hot Humid in Ontario)

Lots of other experiences recorded in the archive

Lots of plusses to compensate for the above.

Iain
Old May 28th 2004, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by webgirl
hi all,
I'll add: general homesickness that you would get anywhere from being far away from family,friends and everything familiar.

Employment requirements iaink mentioned. It can be tough to insert yourself into the employment world in Canada, many people find themselves employed at a level below what they were in England and sometimes at significantly lower pay. More occupations are regulated or require membership in one organization or another. In both cases that usually means additional qualifications in Canada which may take quite a bit of time.

And what I think happens a lot is that when people find themselves in a poor work/financial situation, other little things just start to grind: rubbish driving etcetera.

I do think it all hinges around the employment scene. If you can get yourself a good job then I think you'll enjoy a lifestyle that you won't want to leave and the small stuff won't bother you.
Old May 28th 2004, 7:18 pm
mickj

That is where the canadian experience becomes a show stopper for a lot of folks.

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
I'll add: general homesickness that you would get anywhere from being far away from family,friends and everything familiar.

Employment requirements iaink mentioned. It can be tough to insert yourself into the employment world in Canada, many people find themselves employed at a level below what they were in England and sometimes at significantly lower pay. More occupations are regulated or require membership in one organization or another. In both cases that usually means additional qualifications in Canada which may take quite a bit of time.

And what I think happens a lot is that when people find themselves in a poor work/financial situation, other little things just start to grind: rubbish driving etcetera.

I do think it all hinges around the employment scene. If you can get yourself a good job then I think you'll enjoy a lifestyle that you won't want to leave and the small stuff won't bother you.

Old Jun 1st 2004, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Ed_and_Karen is on a distinguished road

However, the people are very friendly and welcoming. Where are you moving from? I've just moved over from the UK and I'm finding the cost of things over here is cheaper on the whole, so taking a pay cut isn't the end of the world. If you're selling a house in the UK, the exchange rates are fantastic at the moment so you may find a great saving on your mortgage.

The thing I'm really missing at the moment is decent TV. I've got 100 odd channels and nothing to watch! I must see if there's any postings about getting BBC over here!
Old Jun 1st 2004, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

webgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ed_and_Karen
I am currently working in the UK but i have lived in the US for over 10 years and was born in Hong Kong. Yes, tell me about the real estate prices here! Compare to the UK, Canadian real estate prices are very attractive. I can deal with not having good tv shows since i don't watch much tv anyway!

thanks for everyone's responses, it really is helpful to hear other people's perspective!
Old Jun 1st 2004, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe no one has said about the food! The taste here is so different especially with meat, there just isn't any, foodwise I can't think of anything better here than the UK.

Summers for me are terrible and I am starting to dread them now, the humidity here for me is very bad, it makes me feel ill, and it could start any day.

Whoever said about the TV was right, some of the things they do are just amazing especially with the tennis, but that is more of a US thing. Although TSN cut off a match 7-5 5-5 tape delayed and there were only 2 games to play!!!! Wrote an e-mail and was just ignored like 80% of the time. How I miss the BBC's Wimbledon and Eurosport coverage.
Old Jun 1st 2004, 11:50 am
mickj

One way to get round the food issue, is to go to the ethnic stores. The wife being being of greek background , we are able to go down to the danforth in Toronto ( greek town ) to get stuff.

What exactly is canadian food, BEAVERTAIL? Just like curry is britain's food !

Last edited by mickj; Jun 1st 2004 at 11:52 am.

Old Jun 1st 2004, 11:51 am
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by babsi
I can't believe no one has said about the food! The taste here is so different especially with meat, there just isn't any, foodwise I can't think of anything better here than the UK.
Yeah but you don't get 'Poutine' in England.

I luv a bit of Russian President.
Old Jun 1st 2004, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

citizen is an unknown quantity at this point

the drivers are useless i mean really useless
forget speedy service in banks
forget speedy service anywhere
Old Jun 1st 2004, 4:55 pm
mickj

There you have it, stay clear of Oakville No seriously its true what he said there, you go to some banks, and they just stand there and chat away to a customer they know, no sense of urgency at all. They need one of them glass screens that all uk banks have i think, i just use the drive thru' machine anyway.

Drivers......i don't drive an F150, so am alright

Originally posted by citizen
the drivers are useless i mean really useless
forget speedy service in banks
forget speedy service anywhere

Last edited by mickj; Jun 1st 2004 at 5:23 pm.

Old Jun 1st 2004, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Ed_and_Karen is on a distinguished road

Strange how different people's perception can be. I actually think the drivers here are much better than in the UK. It may be due to the low speed limits, which people seem to stick to. They also observe the 'children playing' areas and drive very slowly. I had to laugh the other day at a 4 way junction. Nobody was moving, waiting for someone else to go first!. The locals also think that people drive badly here, but I don't see it.

As for service, again I am very impressed. So far, assistants have always been very polite, friendly and professional. They even pack your groceries without asking or being asked!. In the UK, I had both of my children with me once once (aged 4 and 6) and was 'tutted' by an assistant because I couldn't pack the bags fast enough. She could see I was struggling but wasn't about to help.

I've only been here a couple of months so my opinion may change given time, but so far I am very pleased. I really can't get over how friendly people are. Maybe you folks should move out west!
Old Jun 1st 2004, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

citizen is an unknown quantity at this point

drivers are dangerous here in ontario. foot flat to the floor on the gas pedal and drive as fast as they can to the car in front then anchor on. undertaking is also acceptable!!!!!!!!

agree with the children safety though, no passing when the yellow buses are at a stop etc
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by citizen
drivers are dangerous here in ontario. foot flat to the floor on the gas pedal and drive as fast as they can to the car in front then anchor on. undertaking is also acceptable!!!!!!!!

agree with the children safety though, no passing when the yellow buses are at a stop etc
At age 22 I do not drive yet which must be unusual so when I get to Canada I will have to take driving lessons and then a test. I know how to drive a car but never passed a test. I suppose it's similar to the UK except I will be driving on the right but it will be essential for me to drive when I'm living and working there. Hope it will not be too bad in the winter with all the ice and snow but I guess you get used to it and know the right things to do. The traffic in UK is really bad.

Right now I don't think I will miss anything of the UK when I'm in Canada but maybe I will find out in time but I guess it's like swings and roundabouts, yeah?

Cheers

Old Jun 2nd 2004, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

ThemeOne is an unknown quantity at this point

Most front doors in Canada don't automatically lock when you go out like the ones in the UK. So if you just pull the door shut and walk off, then anyone could get in your house simply by turning the door handle.

A small but significant difference!