Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

HAPPY CANADA DAY EVERYONE!

HAPPY CANADA DAY EVERYONE!

Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice
Default HAPPY CANADA DAY EVERYONE!

Been here 6 years now this is our first CANADA DAY AS CITIZENS, couldn't ask for a better summers day in Nova Scotia today summer has finally arrived!!!! Hope everyone has a great time today and over the weekend, we are celebrating with our friends with a BBQ and fireworks on his ship in Halifax harbour tonight. (he is in the navy).
ENJOY HAPPY CANADA DAY!!
Old Jul 1st 2011, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

toffeegirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HAPPY CANADA DAY EVERYONE!

Congratulations on your citizenship! Happy Canada Day
Old Jul 1st 2011, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

glennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond reputeglennster has a reputation beyond repute

happy canada day have fun!!
Old Jul 1st 2011, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

Happy Canada Day! Congrats on your Citizenship.

Beautiful day here in Nova Scotia for our first Canada day in Canada. Lots of fun events on locally and looking forward to the fireworks tonight. 2 years ago we were at the event in Trafalgar square, that was fun (and hot) too.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Happy Dominion Day. Thats what we celebrated when we came here in 1963. It changed to Canada Day in 1982.

So happy Canada Day as well.

PS not a cloud in the sky here in Ottawa and its going to be hot on the Hill today.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 2:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Canada Day from the wife of a Canadian now living in NY

Love the capital's Canada Day celebrations on Parliament Hill and the Rideau Canal and the fireworks are the best I've ever seen.

Enjoy your long weekend.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

mrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to all

Happy Canada Day and many congrats on your new Canadian status
Old Jul 1st 2011, 2:34 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Canada/Confederation/Dominion/British North America Day!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy Canada Day too!!!
This is also our first as Canadian Citizens. We enjoyed beautiful weather here in sunny Alberta, and a great outdoor concert!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Although the U.K. does not have the equivalent of Dominion (Canada) Day, with all the celebrations attached, there was once a time time when Britain did celebrate its nationhood. It was called Empire Day, and was held on the 24 May, called Victoria Day here in Canada. I remember as a small child in 50s England pageants, bunting, lots of Union Jacks, a half day holiday,
and parades. One day I watched as the flagpole and the Union Jack were taken down at my primary school. Even as a six year old I wondered why.

From that time on there were no more celebrations of Empire Day; it was expunged from the national psyche. Unlike Canada, Australia and the U.S. where national symbols of pride and flags are everywhere, everyday, the flying of Union Jacks is no longer common in the U.K. Worse, many politicians and those who continually do Britain down equate the Union Jack as a racist symbol, evidenced by the many municipalities who passed bylaws forbidding its display. My sister in west London was visited by a jobsworth from the town hall last year ordering her to take down her flag which she flew to celebrate the Queen's birthday. Just a small flag.

All so very sad. But it was a lovely day here yesterday in Calgary. Lots of flags, bunting, pageants, parades and restrained breast thumping, even by the visiting Royals, which makes me wonder why the Duke and Duchess don't do the same in the U.K?
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 1:10 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2003
Although the U.K. does not have the equivalent of Dominion (Canada) Day, with all the celebrations attached, there was once a time time when Britain did celebrate its nationhood. It was called Empire Day, and was held on the 24 May, called Victoria Day here in Canada. I remember as a small child in 50s England pageants, bunting, lots of Union Jacks, a half day holiday,
and parades. One day I watched as the flagpole and the Union Jack were taken down at my primary school. Even as a six year old I wondered why.

From that time on there were no more celebrations of Empire Day; it was expunged from the national psyche. Unlike Canada, Australia and the U.S. where national symbols of pride and flags are everywhere, everyday, the flying of Union Jacks is no longer common in the U.K. Worse, many politicians and those who continually do Britain down equate the Union Jack as a racist symbol, evidenced by the many municipalities who passed bylaws forbidding its display. My sister in west London was visited by a jobsworth from the town hall last year ordering her to take down her flag which she flew to celebrate the Queen's birthday. Just a small flag.

All so very sad. But it was a lovely day here yesterday in Calgary. Lots of flags, bunting, pageants, parades and restrained breast thumping, even by the visiting Royals, which makes me wonder why the Duke and Duchess don't do the same in the U.K?
What a pile of wank.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

ha, I'm in northern Quebec. I had no idea it was Canada Day until I put the telly on...

From that time on there were no more celebrations of Empire Day; it was expunged from the national psyche. Unlike Canada, Australia and the U.S. where national symbols of pride and flags are everywhere, everyday, the flying of Union Jacks is no longer common in the U.K.
I guess a lot of people see themselves more as English / Scottish / Welsh than British, these days (me included). I don't really identify with the Union flag and do not fly it. Not that I have anything against those who do fly it!
Old Jul 8th 2011, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

From that time on there were no more celebrations of Empire Day; it was expunged from the national psyche. Unlike Canada, Australia and the U.S. where national symbols of pride and flags are everywhere, everyday, the flying of Union Jacks is no longer common in the U.K.
Not the case in Australia IMO.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

We spent Canada Day in Niagara, as we were on a recce trip in the area. Had dinner in the Edgewater's Tap & Grill overlooking the falls, then watched the fireworks in the evening

Great atmosphere in Canada on that day, and I too was thinking how we have lost any sense of British pride back in the UK. I love seeing the Canadian flag hanging everywhere.

When we eventually move to Canada, we would happily have a Canadian flag and a Scottish Saltire hanging side by side outside our house.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 5:39 am
Just Joined

hrcanada1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wishing you very happy Canada day to all the member of britishexpats forum.