Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Happier Expats

Happier Expats

Old Apr 21st 2012, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all
Default Happier Expats

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-homesick.html

So now we know!!!
Old Apr 21st 2012, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Happier Expats

I like how most of the comments by best rated search and a lot of them seem to have negative views on the UK though taking into account they are Daily Mail comments.
Examples
Left over 20 yrs ago. I only miss the UK of the 60s and 70s. The modern UK is a sad and ghastly experiment in social engineering. It is now a world leader in the production of thick, semi-literate, hostile, lazy, selfish, expensive high cost chavs. And what do the so called leaders do? Fiddle around with all kinds of PC nonsense that doed absoloutely nothing to stem the social decline .. indeed most of it makes things worse. I guess the summer riots were just a foretaste of things to come.
- max, tokyo, 21/4/2012 0:25

What I don't miss are, endless road works and traffic jams, rotten weather, chavs, crime, pedantic jobsworth council officials, lousy health service, high fuel prices, drunks, layabouts, dole dwellers, political correctness, health and safety commissars, oh yes and useless politicians. What I do miss are mushy peas.
Peter Simpson, Normandy, France,

The thought of ever returning to the UK, even for vacation, makes my stomach churn. Moving to Canada was the best thing we ever did. Do we miss anything? Noooooooooooo
Heather, Canada, 21/4/2012 0:21
Old Apr 21st 2012, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

To me what would be interesting is if anybody knows how the UK compares to other countries as a percentage of expats...

I still love the UK but came here for a change of scenery. Canada has been very kind to us and hopefully we'll get PR but I wouldn't rule out a return to the UK one day...but I don't miss it
Old Apr 21st 2012, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I like how most of the comments by best rated search and a lot of them seem to have negative views on the UK though taking into account they are Daily Mail comments.
Examples
Left over 20 yrs ago. I only miss the UK of the 60s and 70s. The modern UK is a sad and ghastly experiment in social engineering. It is now a world leader in the production of thick, semi-literate, hostile, lazy, selfish, expensive high cost chavs. And what do the so called leaders do? Fiddle around with all kinds of PC nonsense that doed absoloutely nothing to stem the social decline .. indeed most of it makes things worse. I guess the summer riots were just a foretaste of things to come.

What I don't miss are, endless road works and traffic jams, rotten weather, chavs, crime, pedantic jobsworth council officials, lousy health service, high fuel prices, drunks, layabouts, dole dwellers, political correctness, health and safety commissars, oh yes and useless politicians. What I do miss are mushy peas.
Peter Simpson, Normandy, France,

The thought of ever returning to the UK, even for vacation, makes my stomach churn. Moving to Canada was the best thing we ever did. Do we miss anything? Noooooooooooo
Heather, Canada, 21/4/2012 0:21
Not much different to Canada, then?
Old Apr 21st 2012, 7:12 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If I hadn't read the first two sentences- it could have been Toronto being described.

I wonder if the Police in Montreal are going to do a better job with the Riots than they did in Vancouver last year?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:17 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

My aim is to get back to the UK in time to see the Stone Roses in summer.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:27 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
My aim is to get back to the UK in time to see the Stone Roses in summer.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:14 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Believe me, if I get it right I will see the Roses at the end of June and then the ODI in July a few days after. Between will be loads of Star and chips and Chinese gravy. Great stuff.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 2:50 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The comments about tax in the comments section are largely bollocks.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:04 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i think you dont miss things from home because they are readily available here if you look for them...from food to tv to clothes..mainly down to changing technology..i bet the answer would have been different 15 years ago..i do miss pubs though..and sense of humour.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

skytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really nice

Things I don't miss about the UK (N. Ireland):

Chavs, the constant drizzle, everyone complaining all the time even when things are good, overcrowdedness, traffc jams, the petrol prices, the vast extent of benefit fraud sucking the system dry, everyone looking and dressing the same, binge drinking, sectarianism, bumping into someone I know or knew every time I go anywhere and them having a pre-conceived opinion of me.

Things I do miss about the UK:

The mild climate (minus the rain), hills (I haven't seen a hill in months, everything is just flat empty land for as far as the eye can see here), accessibility (I have to drive for miles to get anywhere or do anything), work (doing what I'm good at has proven almost impossible here), prices (food is expensive here compared to back home), food being in date (here 50% of the things I lift from a shelf is past it's date sometimes by months), not being surrounded by jocks in massive white sunglasses trying to play alpha games with everyone and hit on their girlfriends, people wearing clothes ( if the temps go above +10C here people start walking about with as much skin on show as possible), cars (owning a nice car here costs twice as much and I know it would only rust into dust after 3 winters)
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

skytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really nice

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
..i do miss pubs though..and sense of humour.
So right!
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 4:37 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skytek
Things I don't miss about the UK (N. Ireland):

Chavs, the constant drizzle, everyone complaining all the time even when things are good, overcrowdedness, traffc jams, the petrol prices, the vast extent of benefit fraud sucking the system dry, everyone looking and dressing the same, binge drinking, sectarianism, bumping into someone I know or knew every time I go anywhere and them having a pre-conceived opinion of me.

Things I do miss about the UK:

The mild climate (minus the rain), hills (I haven't seen a hill in months, everything is just flat empty land for as far as the eye can see here), accessibility (I have to drive for miles to get anywhere or do anything), work (doing what I'm good at has proven almost impossible here), prices (food is expensive here compared to back home), food being in date (here 50% of the things I lift from a shelf is past it's date sometimes by months), not being surrounded by jocks in massive white sunglasses trying to play alpha games with everyone and hit on their girlfriends, people wearing clothes ( if the temps go above +10C here people start walking about with as much skin on show as possible), cars (owning a nice car here costs twice as much and I know it would only rust into dust after 3 winters)

What's wrong with chavs?
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 4:49 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Believe me, if I get it right I will see the Roses at the end of June and then the ODI in July a few days after. Between will be loads of Star and chips and Chinese gravy. Great stuff.
Have you seen the line up for the Saturday at T in the Park

Stone Roses, Liam Gallagher's High Flying Birds, The Vaccines, Calvin Harris, Two Door Cinema, Courteeners, Maccabees, Simple Minds, The Whailers, Pete Docherty, Shed Seven... blimey i would have it rather large with that line up!

I miss chatting to people that dont have a dead behind the eyes look.

Last edited by Londonuck; Apr 23rd 2012 at 4:52 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Have you seen the line up for the Saturday at T in the Park

Stone Roses, Liam Gallagher's High Flying Birds, The Vaccines, Calvin Harris, Two Door Cinema, Courteeners, Maccabees, Simple Minds, The Whailers, Pete Docherty, Shed Seven... blimey i would have it rather large with that line up!
I think you mean Noel's HFBs. Although that does seem a decent line up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.