Hamilton

Old Dec 8th 2019, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Ryola2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hamilton

Hi guys, not sure if I’ve posted to the right place. Please let me know if I haven’t. We are family of four, myself, Husband and our 2 kids (4 & 8) We want to go to Hamilton next July for a holiday & for a look around to see if it is somewhere we would consider emigrating to. I’m always changing my mind about emigrating so I guess I need to see and experience it first! Could you suggest any good place to stay for a few weeks holiday with kids and what recommend activities do you know of. Also I’m scared of driving in Canada, this is one of the reasons I doubt the move. Would it be advisable to book a car hire from the airport to accommodation? I’m not sure if to just book a transfer first, then get a car and have a practise driving about a bit first in some quiet streets? What do you think? Thanks Nicola.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hamilton

Originally Posted by Ryola2014
Would it be advisable to book a car hire from the airport to accommodation? I’m not sure if to just book a transfer first, then get a car and have a practise driving about a bit first in some quiet streets? What do you think?
So you are worried about driving in Canada (wrong side of road, different rules - I get it). You will land at Toronto airport jet lagged then pick up a car immediately and drive the busiest streches of road to Hamilton? Sure doesnt sound like a great idea to me! Also have a read of the wiki pages on canadian driving licences, it has a section on the key differences in driving in Canada.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 1:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
So you are worried about driving in Canada (wrong side of road, different rules - I get it). You will land at Toronto airport jet lagged then pick up a car immediately and drive the busiest streches of road to Hamilton? Sure doesnt sound like a great idea to me! Also have a read of the wiki pages on canadian driving licences, it has a section on the key differences in driving in Canada.
Cat hire is generally cheaper away from the airport anyway. Get a limo to the hotel (kids have probably never been in one) and get Enterprise to bring a car to you there.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 1:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Cat hire is generally cheaper away from the airport anyway.
What a great country, you can even hire pussy cats!
Old Dec 8th 2019, 3:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
At the risk of lowering the tone, there's always pussy for hire near airports.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 4:39 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

The highway out from YYZ is the most confusing road I ever came across !! I know it now, but wow I just drove till I recognised a real road and direction my GPS could handle lol
Old Dec 8th 2019, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Frazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

The first time I drove in Canada was from Toronto to Niagara and it was one of the hair raising moments of my life. Not only is it confusing but it was busier than any road I can remember.
I would definitely recommend a taxi.
I have been back to Canada a couple of times since and driven, you do get used to it but maybe Toronto airport isn't the best place to start.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 6:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

If you come out of the airport on the 410 southbound (which you might easily as the signage is awful) you will then want to make 14 lane shifts so as to end up the 427 south to the QEW and Hamilton. Consider that there's no convention for "overtaking"/"overtaken" lanes, vehicles will be going at between 40 and 90 mph in any lane and that signalling is not customary here and you will see that this is not a challenge to be considered lightly. If I'm not feeling combative I take a longer route to avoid the 14 close misses. And I know the route well, someone new would also have to cope with not being able to see the signs because of the height of the many trucks. This is a way to get your holiday off to a bad start even before you see the Hamilton waterfront.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Ryola2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeeeesus you guys are totally putting me off driving in Canada full stop! I’ve had my driving licence since 2006 but if I don’t know the roads, which lane to be in etc I freak out. This is honestly my main concern about moving to Canada. I don’t know what to do � ����
Old Dec 8th 2019, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Jeeeesus you guys are totally putting me off driving in Canada full stop! I’ve had my driving licence since 2006 but if I don’t know the roads, which lane to be in etc I freak out. This is honestly my main concern about moving to Canada. I don’t know what to do ������
Honestly, it is just driving in and around Toronto that is bad - Toronto is quite a zoo IMHO. Once you are past Halton heading west, driving is easy, even in the smaller cities. Actually far less traffic that similar roads in the UK and people and generally much more considerate. My wife is now so used to Canadian driving after 2 years, she now hestitates to drive at all when we go back to the UK and finds everyone far more aggressive on the roads there!
Old Dec 8th 2019, 9:24 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Jeeeesus you guys are totally putting me off driving in Canada full stop! I’ve had my driving licence since 2006 but if I don’t know the roads, which lane to be in etc I freak out. This is honestly my main concern about moving to Canada. I don’t know what to do ������
you do know we have 16 and 18 lanes at some areas of the highway yeh. The highway width is wider then my street is long lol
Old Dec 8th 2019, 10:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hamilton has a great transit system - I don't drive and can get pretty much anywhere I need to... there's a good bus service all over the City, plus Uber and taxi's - and coach/bus/train to Toronto Union (where you can get bus/coach/trains pretty much anywhere) and the opposite way to Niagara - there's actually a bus that goes from Toronto Airport to Hamilton - but I recommend getting a car and driver when you arrive.

Hamilton isn't somewhere I would call a 'holiday / vacation spot' - presumably you are doing a recce trip.
I've lived in the Hammer for 20 years.. so if there's anything you need to know just shout! There's a few of us living here.. I'm sure one of us will have the answer.
A quick list of things to do and places to go in the Hamilton area.
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Hamilton
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Burlington

(there's a couple of expats groups in the area, if you need an intro let me know)

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 8th 2019 at 10:41 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 11:39 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

If I ever go to Hamilton I want to go see the Haida.
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/on/haida
Old Dec 9th 2019, 12:58 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
But you have to beware of the claws in the contract.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
If you come out of the airport on the 410 southbound (which you might easily as the signage is awful) you will then want to make 14 lane shifts so as to end up the 427 south to the QEW and Hamilton. Consider that there's no convention for "overtaking"/"overtaken" lanes, vehicles will be going at between 40 and 90 mph in any lane and that signalling is not customary here and you will see that this is not a challenge to be considered lightly. If I'm not feeling combative I take a longer route to avoid the 14 close misses. And I know the route well, someone new would also have to cope with not being able to see the signs because of the height of the many trucks. This is a way to get your holiday off to a bad start even before you see the Hamilton waterfront.
Pedantic mode on

https://goo.gl/maps/KEns4PT15ov6PNBz7

I think you're getting your 400 series highways mixed up. It would be 409 to 427 southbound wouldn't it.

Personally, if I had the time, I'd take the 409/427/401 WB to Hwy 6 which leads SB to Guelph. That avoids the stop and go traffic often in Oakville/Burlington.

I don't think the volume of traffic on the highways listed is any less than in the commuter areas around London or other big cities in the UK. Generally lanes are a bit wider as are the cars, but the points about lane etiquette, undertaking. poor signalling are all true.

Has the poster ever driven in a car with a steering wheel on the left or an automatic transmission or in snow conditions ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.