Halloewen

Old Oct 3rd 2004, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Halloewen

Originally Posted by michele
:scared: Ok so it's our first Halloewen in Canada and me and the kids are just wondering what every one does. They are both really excited and we have their costumes already, but what else does everyone do. Have already seen things hanging from trees!!! Any suggestions please?
One other activity that's loads of fun.....my husband/I did over the weekend.

If you have farms any where close to where you live......it's loads of fun to take the kids out to the farms and let them choose their own pumpkins and walk through the corn maze. The kids can go as wild and crazy as they like - loads of other kids and parents there as well. Also may be a great way for you to start to meet a few people.

Just a thought......my kids are 2/4 and had an absolutely wonderful afternoon on Saturday.
Old Oct 4th 2004, 1:42 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, Halloween is almost non-existant in Australia. It's the one holiday I will miss the most as it really is a BIG day in Canada.
Kids always dressed up and did the trick-or-treating rounds as well as the haunted houses people set up in their yards.

Later, adults dress up and go to a decent pub for a party where originality and such is usually rewarded with prizes. (Stereos, diskmans, even paid holidays and of course...cash!)

One year I won... my costume was a nun... and I was 8 months pregnant!

We always did the jack-o-lantern thing and I get more creative each year. I've attached what I believe will be my last jack-o-lantern as I can't find a decent sized pumpkin here is Oz.

Siren
Attached Thumbnails Halloewen-boo.jpg  
Old Oct 4th 2004, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

My son uses a set of those little tiny utility knife things. He sometimes just scrapes away the pumpkin flesh and leaves the skin part - that's what makes the different colours. Mind you, I couldn't do it. Now he and his girlfriend have their own house, I have to do mine and believe me - it doesn't look anything like his!
Old Oct 4th 2004, 5:00 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wensamjam
Hi all,
you know it's great to read all these great stories about halloween, i'm really looking forward to that when we arrive, as i know it's a big thing in Canada. Sadly it isn't in UK anymore, you find you only get kids who don't make any effort to dress up and all they want is money. We don't have any knocking on our door, but may change this year as my 4 year old is getting excited by halloween this year, has party to go to at his school so going as a little devil. So trying to make a good thing of hallowwen for him this year, but won't be going trick or treating.

But here there is a "code" - if you do not have any pumpkins outside your house (and if the house is relatively dark) you do not get any trick or treaters.

What I cannot get over is how many folk at work dressed up for halloween, the first year I didn't - I had no idea that I would be the ONLY one in ordinary office attire! Even the boss made an effort!

I cannot tell you how thrilled I am that this year it is at the weekend and I do not have to create a costume!

Clare
Old Oct 4th 2004, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

[QUOTE

Please don't leave your house without some sort of lights or signs that someone may be home (radio/TV on)......for the cost of a pumpkin these days.....it's well worth the cost to put it outside to make it look like someone's home even if they aren't......

We have had problems in Victoria where people stay home until about 7pm until the little kids are finished and then do t&t with their kids and have left the house dark - they have come home to soaped windows and toilet paper all over the yard and trees.....not saying that it wouldn't happen anyway.....but I would be cautious......