Halifax NS

Old Jan 31st 2014, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Newbie36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Halifax NS

Hi

I moved to NS with my husband and two children (age 3 and 1) in September. My husband is Canadian and convinced me to make the move. We are currently living on the South Shore NS with my husbands parents whilst trying to decide our next steps. My husband works in Halifax and from home. As his time spent working in Halifax is about to increase to 3 or more days a week (and i need to move to an area where there is a bit more going on for me and the kids!) we are thinking about where to move next.

I wondered if anyone can comment on good family areas within a 30 min or so commute to Halifax. We would be looking to rent initially until we find an area we really like. I am hoping to move to an area where there are other young families around, good schools, play parks or other activities/groups for young kids like gymnastics or swimming etc. My husband has no idea as he lived with me in the UK for the last 13 years and before that with his parents in a rural area of NS (which is beautiful but I am getting very bored and lonely for adult conversation!). We are planning to go and drive around this weekend but getting advice from people actually living in areas that may suit us would be ideal!

Thanks for reading!

Nicola
Old Jan 31st 2014, 4:00 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Halifax NS

Hi Nicola
Are you on Facebook? There are a couple of BE's of Nova Scotia Facebook pages that will help you connect with people living in your neck of the woods. They are a nice bunch too.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. I am not on facebook but perhaps now is the time to be! Are you in the halifax area?
Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nicola. It's Nicky... We have left Yarmouth and we're living near Elmsdale - exit 8 on hwy 102... In my opinion, and in an ideal world, I would say it's a bit far from Halifax and would recommend being nearer. Can't offer you any advice on that one as I don't know Halifax much better than you do... But we might be neighbours yet!
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 12:22 am
Just Joined

Hi Nicky

Great to hear from you and hear about your move. You guys pulled that move off super fast! How is it going so far? Don't tell me you bought another house to add to your collection! Are you missing your home in Yarmouth at all?

We are off for a drive around Tantallon, Fall River etc tomorrow to get a feel for the areas! I am looking forward to being closer to Halifax and to actually see Dana at a reasonable time (his commute puts him home at about 8pm at the moment). I am also looking forward to moving out from the my in laws house ... they are great and so helpful with the kids but i really need my own space so this starts feel like real life and not a holiday! Any idea how to go about finding a rental other than kijiji?

X Nicola
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi

I tried to find group on facebook as suggested but the groups are coming up as closed? My two little ones came down with a bug over the weekend so we didn't go for our planned drive around. Anyone got any experiences to share of living close to halifax as i am keen to start planning my escape
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

just ask to join, I am a member of both and I am sure you will find them helpful
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

NSdreamer5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if this will help but I have been in touch with this company, she was recommended to me by uk2nova scotia.
Debbie White
Home Rents Inc.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 3rd 2014 at 3:46 pm. Reason: Please don't put a third parties phone number on a public forum! Thx.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
just ask to join, I am a member of both and I am sure you will find them helpful
Thanks ... I am new to facebook
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 6:38 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

If you have younger children and want to be where the people are and where there are things to do then you really need to be in the Bedford or Clayton Park areas. Anywhere 30 mins or so outside will still leave you feeling isolated - though Sackville is probably the exception to this.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I agree... If you're going to do it then make sure you chose the right area, close to everything. I like Bedford tbh. Nice neighbourhoods and lots to do. Young working families... Depends though what your budget is and if you want to live on top of other people or not...

As for our move Nicola, yes it was fast but sometimes things happen unexpectedly and you have to just get on and deal with them.

Let me know when you are next up here. Maybe we can get together
Old Feb 4th 2014, 1:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks for sharing your views. It really is tricky. My husband wants to live out of the City as he wants a decent garden and not to be living on top of our neighbours. He will be meeting lots of people everyday at work whereas i will be at home with the kids and will need to see other people around ... we need to compromise! Just so tricky when you don't know the area or anyone living there
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:05 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Newbie36
Thanks for sharing your views. It really is tricky. My husband wants to live out of the City as he wants a decent garden and not to be living on top of our neighbours. He will be meeting lots of people everyday at work whereas i will be at home with the kids and will need to see other people around ... we need to compromise! Just so tricky when you don't know the area or anyone living there
If you are looking at further out, then try and find a place where there is a busy young family community. We lived in Porters Lake, which is filled with young families but you don't get that feeling when you live there - not much to do with young kids in the week, you would have to head in towards town for that.