Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

hairdressing in edmonton, HELP

hairdressing in edmonton, HELP

Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

thevicksta is on a distinguished road
Default hairdressing in edmonton, HELP

Hi just thought i'd add myself on here hopefully somebody can help me, my boyfriend move to edmonton in october 08 and has been very sucessful job wise and finding somewhere to live. I now am ready to go over to edmonton and make my life with him but need a job.

I'm a hair stylist in england, i have level 1 2 3 4 N.V.Q and have over 20 yrs experience, also have my assesors award A2, i also have very good customer service skills and also started my degree into teaching hairdressing which i do a couple of days a week. Don't know how useful these qualifactions are in canada.

I have looked on loads of jobs but just need some advice, so if anybody can help x
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:08 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hairdressing in edmonton, HELP

I think you may have to pass an equivelency exam, not sure. Decent Hair dressers that know what fringes are, are sought after amongst us immigrants
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:29 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I think you may have to pass an equivelency exam, not sure. Decent Hair dressers that know what fringes are, are sought after amongst us immigrants
Do you mean "bangs"?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thevicksta
Hi just thought i'd add myself on here hopefully somebody can help me, my boyfriend move to edmonton in october 08 and has been very sucessful job wise and finding somewhere to live. I now am ready to go over to edmonton and make my life with him but need a job.

I'm a hair stylist in england, i have level 1 2 3 4 N.V.Q and have over 20 yrs experience, also have my assesors award A2, i also have very good customer service skills and also started my degree into teaching hairdressing which i do a couple of days a week. Don't know how useful these qualifactions are in canada.

I have looked on loads of jobs but just need some advice, so if anybody can help x
I don't know how you would swap over your qualifications here but can I sign up as your first client??

Seriously, I've seen quite a few of the hairdressers advertising for staff, and I would drive a fair way to go to a Brit hairdresser!! My sister teaches hairdressing in the UK but it's a bit expensive getting her to come over regularly to cut my hair!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:08 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Do you mean "bangs"?
YEP!

I am lucky enough to have a proper hairdresser that make me a cuppa as soon as I walk in, gives me a mag and knows what fringes are. He has been here for 20 odd years and hates the word bangs......He's from Manchester (I think).
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

bristolmuppet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
I don't know how you would swap over your qualifications here but can I sign up as your first client??

Seriously, I've seen quite a few of the hairdressers advertising for staff, and I would drive a fair way to go to a Brit hairdresser!! My sister teaches hairdressing in the UK but it's a bit expensive getting her to come over regularly to cut my hair!
Hi,

My partner is a hairdresser in practically the same situation! As we're just starting out on the process (3 year timeframe methinks), are there any good sites to get hairdressing jobs from??

ta
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:25 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

You need to contact the AAIT to get sorted, also look through the yellow pages and give hairdressers a call

unless you go mobile and do all the expats hair
I have been told that if you havent got a licence you cant go and get the colours etc to do hair, but i am sure AAIT will put you in the right direction

Good /luck
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:37 pm

I know Chatters is always advertising http://www.chatters.ca/html/careers.html
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everybody for all the comments, i didn't know you needed a licence for the hairdressing warehouses but thanks i'll look into that.

I'd love to do anybody's hair who needs a really good british hairdresser, i love all aspects of hair, cutting and wedding hair is my speciality, so just watch this space and i'll let you all know when i get out there.

Many thanks

vickie x
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

You can add me to the list of potential clients!!!

Linda
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

TThanks for that i'll hopefully be out there very soon x x
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all

do you do mens hair?

the hairdresser i go to never listens to me and cuts it how she wants too... shes so nice that i keep going back but i never get my hair cut how i want ha ha. Sounds daft I know....
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends upon where you intend to work. A friend of ours was a stylist in Scotland before moving here and she has never had to obtain any form of licence or undergo any form of retraining. She works for a salon in Calgary.

HTH
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:58 pm

Rainey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: hairdressing in edmonton, HELP

Hi,

You require 4300 hrs experience over the last 10 years, apprentice time and training time is not included only actual on the job experience is counted. You need to prove this to the AAIT via forms that can be downloaded from www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca. If you can prove your experience this way you can come to Alberta and challange the exam. To have your experience assessed will cost you $450, the exam is $180 i think.

You cannot practice hairdressing without this license, you will find it hard to get a job and you will not be able to go free lance as you cannot buy the chemicals without showing your license. If you don't have the required 4300 hrs then you could get an apprenticeship, or go back to college to do the Alberta license, this has it's drawbacks as you will have international student fees.

Hope this helps...
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your replies,
Danny i can do men's hair yeh, i know what you mean i think alot are like that!
It's very nice of you to be like that but all good hairdresser's listen, some find it hard cause they think they know better, so i'll keep ya posted and you'll have to try my cut and then see wot you think?

almost canadian-That sounds good i'm just gonna have to keep looking and find the right employer. thanks

Rainey69- Thanks for all that information very useful indeed, i'll keep you posted and let you know how i get on, are you a hairdresser yourself?

Thanks everybody

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.