Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

h1B USA gone, Canada an option ?

h1B USA gone, Canada an option ?

Old Jul 3rd 2002, 3:42 am
Just Joined

AlanDee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default h1B USA gone, Canada an option ?

Need some advice asap

My brother on an H1B has just been laid off, he is over three years on H1B, no real chance of securing sponsorship, and has to decide fast what to do.

Is moving to Canada an option, if he finds a job there, how difficult is it to get all the paperwork done, time frames etc.
Old Jul 3rd 2002, 2:20 pm
Sympatico

Default Re: h1B USA gone, Canada an option ?

Canada is not a contingency plan for people who get laid off in the USA.

"AlanDee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Need some advice asap
    >
    > My brother on an H1B has just been laid off, he is over three years on H1B, no real
    > chance of securing sponsorship, and has to decide fast what to do.
    >
    > Is moving to Canada an option, if he finds a job there, how difficult is it to get
    > all the paperwork done, time frames etc.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Kim
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Harley Davidson

Boy, are you going to get flamed!

Is Canada an option? Well you tell me! It really depends on what your brother wants
from life.

But first thing first: In my opinion, the first thing that your brother needs to do
is to get out of the United States (back to his homeland, possibly) and figure out
the next step from there. Being an illegal alien is never a good idea.

Having said that, now let me tell you about what I think about Canada as an
alternative of USA:

Live in Canada is different from live in the USA. In the big picture it may seems to
be similar but if you look at the detail, it isn't. I understand that many people who
immigrate to Canada, USA, or Australia are like bugs attracted to a light. But do
yourself a favor, please make sure that the light is not a bug zapper hanging on
Bubba's porch. Want another analogy? What about this: Many of the Australian,
American, or Canadian immigrant hopefuls are like a dog chasing a car. When the dog
finally catch the car, it doesn't know what to do with it. (Note to all flamers: I am
NOT calling immigrant hopefuls dogs, O.K.?) So, I strongly suggest that your brother
do his homework before trying to immigrate so that he won't be disappointed.

Canada has a very good standard of living. So if that's what your brother is looking
for, then I suggest that he apply for a permanent residence status. But beware that
jobs aren't easy to come by these days. Without a job, he'll be miserable here.
Remember, the 20 month winter in many populated parts of Canada will make live a
living hell without a proper sheltering and heating. So, again it is my opinion, if
your brother wants to come to Canada, he should find an employment in Canada, get all
the approvals from the government, and apply for a Canadian PR. Ask an immigration
lawyers for the detail!

If he wants to go to Canada so that he can jump back to the good ol' American gravy
train, then I think it is possible. Just don't tell the people in this newsgroup or
they'll call him all kinds of names but the son of God (or Allah, or Brahma, or Sang
Hyang Widhi, or David Koresh)

As for timeline, you can expect about a year or so, am I right, experts? "AlanDee"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Need some advice asap
    >
    > My brother on an H1B has just been laid off, he is over three years on H1B, no real
    >
    > Is moving to Canada an option, if he finds a job there, how difficult is it to get
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Kim
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Restless

I agree.

"Sympatico" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Canada is not a contingency plan for people who get laid off in the USA.
    >
    > "AlanDee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Need some advice asap
    > >
    > > My brother on an H1B has just been laid off, he is over three years on H1B, no
    > > real chance of securing sponsorship, and has to decide fast what to do.
    > >
    > > Is moving to Canada an option, if he finds a job there, how difficult is it to
    > > get all the paperwork done, time frames etc.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Kim
    > >
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 3rd 2002, 3:21 pm
David Cohen

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Need some advice asap
    >
    >

If he obtains a job offer from a Canadian employer, an employment authorization
could be processed within 6 weeks, depending on the requirement for validation.
Additional information on this topic may be found at Campbell, Cohen's web site at
the following URL:

http://canadavisa.com/documents/tempfaq.htm

The duration of a permanent resident application is considerably longer, and also
varies depending on the visa office at which the case is processed.Additional
information on this topic may be found at Campbell, Cohen's web site at the
following URL:

http://canadavisa.com/documents/faq.htm
________
CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law tel:514.937.9445 / fax:514.937.2618
[email protected] http://canadavisa.com

Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community

Old Jul 3rd 2002, 4:20 pm
Sympatico

Default LAWYERS ARE NOT TO BE TRUSTED

THIS IS A BIG PROOF THAT LAWYERS ARE NOT TO BE TRUSTED. Everyone who read the
original posting made it clear that this country is not for sale except for those
lawyers who want to SELL SELL SELL their services at any cost regardless of what is
good for the country and what is not. This individual who is trying to run away from
the USA because he/she lost his/her H1B visa is only here until a better opportunity
comes along and leaves Canada. This means that this person might take someone else's
opportunity to come here as a genuine immigrant. It is very sad to these theses
lawyers acting the way they do here on this NG.

Sympatico

"David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > >
    > > My brother on an H1B has just been laid off, he is over three years on H1B, no
    > >
    > > Is moving to Canada an option, if he finds a job there, how difficult is it to
    >
    > If he obtains a job offer from a Canadian employer, an employment authorization
    > could be processed within 6 weeks, depending on the requirement for validation.
    > Additional information on this topic may be found at Campbell, Cohen's web site at
    > the following URL:
    >
    > http://canadavisa.com/documents/tempfaq.htm
    >
    > The duration of a permanent resident application is considerably longer, and also
    > varies depending on the visa office at which the case is processed.Additional
    > information on this topic may be found at Campbell, Cohen's web site at the
    > following URL:
    >
    > http://canadavisa.com/documents/faq.htm
    > ________
    > CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law tel:514.937.9445 / fax:514.937.2618
    > [email protected] http://canadavisa.com
    >
    > Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community

Old Jul 3rd 2002, 4:20 pm
Heather

Default Re: LAWYERS ARE NOT TO BE TRUSTED

What the heck were u reading?
Mr. Cohen gave him general info regarding EA's. He answered the question of the
orginal poster. Correct me if i am wrong but isnt that why this newsgroup exists?

Heather "Sympatico" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > THIS IS A BIG PROOF THAT LAWYERS ARE NOT TO BE TRUSTED. Everyone who read the
    > original posting made it clear that this country is not for sale except for those
    > lawyers who want to SELL SELL SELL their services at any cost regardless of what is
    > good for the country and what
is
    > not. This individual who is trying to run away from the USA because he/she lost
    > his/her H1B visa is only here until a better opportunity comes along and leaves
    > Canada. This means that this person might take someone else's opportunity to come
    > here as a genuine immigrant. It is very sad to these theses lawyers acting the way
    > they do here on this NG.
    >
    >
    > Sympatico
    >
    > "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > > > Need some advice asap
    > > >
    > > > My brother on an H1B has just been laid off, he is over three years on H1B, no
    > > > real chance of securing sponsorship, and has to decide fast what to do.
    > > >
    > > > Is moving to Canada an option, if he finds a job there, how difficult
is
    > > > it to get all the paperwork done, time frames etc.
    > >
    > > If he obtains a job offer from a Canadian employer, an employment authorization
    > > could be processed within 6 weeks, depending on the requirement for validation.
    > > Additional information on this topic may be found at Campbell, Cohen's web site
    > > at the following URL:
    > >
    > > http://canadavisa.com/documents/tempfaq.htm
    > >
    > > The duration of a permanent resident application is considerably longer, and also
    > > varies depending on the visa office at which the case is processed.Additional
    > > information on this topic may be found at Campbell, Cohen's web site at the
    > > following URL:
    > >
    > > http://canadavisa.com/documents/faq.htm
    > > ________
    > > CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law tel:514.937.9445 / fax:514.937.2618
    > > [email protected] http://canadavisa.com
    > >
    > > Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community

Old Jul 3rd 2002, 7:20 pm
Sergei

Who said it is not? Sounds like a good plan - cannot get a PR/Job in USA try Canadian
and then go pick whatever country you find more attractive to work in. GOVERNMENT
should serve PEOPLE not people government. Screw all people who think patriotic. You
have to make discent living for your family and one has to go whereever he can make
more money. All this arguments about "abuse of canadian immigration system" is just
as that, bullshit.

Sympatico, tell me how are you going to be impacted personally if I get Canadian PR
and go back to USA to work for another couple years? I think you should benefit from
that - you have one less competitor for a job position which is considering the
current job market is very good for you. If you can answer honestlt my question you
will see that you statment "Canada is not a contingency plan for people who get laid
off in the USA" is not worth the time you spent posting it.

news:<[email protected] >...
    > Canada is not a contingency plan for people who get laid off in the USA.
    >
    > "AlanDee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Kim
    > >
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Henrik

"harley davidson fan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Boy, are you going to get flamed!
    >
    > Is Canada an option? Well you tell me! It really depends on what your brother wants
    > from life.
    >
    > But first thing first: In my opinion, the first thing that your brother needs to do
    > is to get out of the United States (back to his homeland, possibly) and figure out
    > the next step from there. Being an illegal alien is never a good idea.
    >
    > Having said that, now let me tell you about what I think about Canada as an
    > alternative of USA:
    >
    > Live in Canada is different from live in the USA. In the big picture it may seems
    > to be similar but if you look at the detail, it isn't. I understand that many
    > people who immigrate to Canada, USA, or Australia are like bugs attracted to a
    > light. But do yourself a favor, please make sure that the light is not a bug zapper
    > hanging on Bubba's porch. Want another analogy? What about this: Many of the
    > Australian, American, or Canadian immigrant hopefuls are like a dog chasing a car.
    > When the dog finally catch the car, it doesn't know what to do with it. (Note to
    > all flamers: I am NOT calling immigrant hopefuls dogs, O.K.?) So, I strongly
    > suggest that your brother do his homework before trying to immigrate so that he
    > won't be disappointed.
    >
    > Canada has a very good standard of living. So if that's what your brother is
    > looking for, then I suggest that he apply for a permanent residence status. But
    > beware that jobs aren't easy to come by these days. Without a job, he'll be
    > miserable here. Remember, the 20 month winter in many populated parts of Canada
    > will make live a living hell without a proper sheltering and heating. So, again it
    > is my opinion, if your brother wants to come to Canada, he should find an
    > employment in Canada, get all the approvals from the government, and apply for a
    > Canadian PR. Ask an immigration lawyers for the detail!
    >
    > If he wants to go to Canada so that he can jump back to the good ol' American gravy
    > train, then I think it is possible. Just don't tell the people in this newsgroup or
    > they'll call him all kinds of names but the son of God (or Allah, or Brahma, or
    > Sang Hyang Widhi, or David Koresh)
    >
    > As for timeline, you can expect about a year or so, am I right, experts?

Bravo! Couldn't say it better myself!!

Shree

Well written posting, Harley Davidson Fan !!!!!!! Analogies are funny too

Anrkist

If the guy can find a job ... welcome to Canada!

There is no need for personal attacks here.

> THIS IS A BIG PROOF THAT LAWYERS ARE NOT TO BE TRUSTED. Everyone who read the
    > original posting made it clear that this country is not for sale except for those
    > lawyers who want to SELL SELL SELL their services at any cost regardless of what is
    > good for the country and what
is
    > not. This individual who is trying to run away from the USA because he/she lost
    > his/her H1B visa is only here until a better opportunity comes along and leaves
    > Canada. This means that this person might take someone else's opportunity to come
    > here as a genuine immigrant. It is very sad to these theses lawyers acting the way
    > they do here on this NG.
    >
    >
    > Sympatico
    >
    > "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > > >
    > > > My brother on an H1B has just been laid off, he is over three years on H1B, no
    > > >
is
    > >
    > > If he obtains a job offer from a Canadian employer, an employment authorization
    > > could be processed within 6 weeks, depending on the requirement for validation.
    > > Additional information on this topic may be found at Campbell, Cohen's web site
    > > at the following URL:
    > >
    > > http://canadavisa.com/documents/tempfaq.htm
    > >
    > > The duration of a permanent resident application is considerably longer, and also
    > > varies depending on the visa office at which the case is processed.Additional
    > > information on this topic may be found at Campbell, Cohen's web site at the
    > > following URL:
    > >
    > > http://canadavisa.com/documents/faq.htm
    > > ________
    > > CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law tel:514.937.9445 / fax:514.937.2618
    > > [email protected] http://canadavisa.com
    > >
    > > Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community

Sympatico

I am not attacking Cohen or whoever that person might be because I honestly do not
give a @!#$$# But in a nutshell I do not like lawyers, PERIOD. I think that all
lawyers are %$##@$@$#.

"anrkist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > If the guy can find a job ... welcome to Canada!
    >
    > There is no need for personal attacks here.
    >
    >
    > "Sympatico" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > THIS IS A BIG PROOF THAT LAWYERS ARE NOT TO BE TRUSTED. Everyone who read the
    > > original posting made it clear that this country
is
    > > not for sale except for those lawyers who want to SELL SELL SELL their services
    > > at any cost regardless of what is good for the country and what
    > is
    > > not. This individual who is trying to run away from the USA because
he/she
    > > lost his/her H1B visa is only here until a better opportunity comes
along
    > > and leaves Canada. This means that this person might take someone else's
    > > opportunity to come here as a genuine immigrant. It is very sad to these theses
    > > lawyers acting the way they do here on this NG.
    > >
    > >
    > > Sympatico
    > >
    > > "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > > > > Need some advice asap
    > > > >
    > > > > My brother on an H1B has just been laid off, he is over three years
on
    > > > > H1B, no real chance of securing sponsorship, and has to decide fast what to
    > > > > do.
    > > > >
    > > > > Is moving to Canada an option, if he finds a job there, how
difficult
    > is
    > > > > it to get all the paperwork done, time frames etc.
    > > >
    > > > If he obtains a job offer from a Canadian employer, an employment authorization
    > > > could be processed within 6 weeks, depending on the requirement for validation.
    > > > Additional information on this topic may
be
    > > > found at Campbell, Cohen's web site at the following URL:
    > > >
    > > > http://canadavisa.com/documents/tempfaq.htm
    > > >
    > > > The duration of a permanent resident application is considerably
longer,
    > > > and also varies depending on the visa office at which the case is
    > > > processed.Additional information on this topic may be found at
Campbell,
    > > > Cohen's web site at the following URL:
    > > >
    > > > http://canadavisa.com/documents/faq.htm
    > > > ________
    > > > CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law tel:514.937.9445 / fax:514.937.2618
    > > > [email protected] http://canadavisa.com
    > > >
    > > > Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community
    > >
    > >
    >

Sympatico

You answer me this question before I answer you PAL. What on earth is a lawyer doing
in an immigration NG? Please do not tell me to promote the concept of immigration.

"Heather" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > What the heck were u reading?
    > Mr. Cohen gave him general info regarding EA's. He answered the question
of
    > the orginal poster. Correct me if i am wrong but isnt that why this
    > newsgroup exists?
    >
    > Heather "Sympatico" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > THIS IS A BIG PROOF THAT LAWYERS ARE NOT TO BE TRUSTED. Everyone who read the
    > > original posting made it clear that this country
is
    > > not for sale except for those lawyers who want to SELL SELL SELL their services
    > > at any cost regardless of what is good for the country and what
    > is
    > > not. This individual who is trying to run away from the USA because
he/she
    > > lost his/her H1B visa is only here until a better opportunity comes
along
    > > and leaves Canada. This means that this person might take someone else's
    > > opportunity to come here as a genuine immigrant. It is very sad to these theses
    > > lawyers acting the way they do here on this NG.
    > >
    > >
    > > Sympatico
    > >
    > > "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > > > >
    > > > > My brother on an H1B has just been laid off, he is over three years
on
    > > > > H1B, no real chance of securing sponsorship, and has to decide fast what to
    > > > > do.
    > > > >
    > > > > Is moving to Canada an option, if he finds a job there, how
difficult
    > is
    > > >
    > > > If he obtains a job offer from a Canadian employer, an employment authorization
    > > > could be processed within 6 weeks, depending on the requirement for validation.
    > > > Additional information on this topic may
be
    > > > found at Campbell, Cohen's web site at the following URL:
    > > >
    > > > http://canadavisa.com/documents/tempfaq.htm
    > > >
    > > > The duration of a permanent resident application is considerably
longer,
    > > > and also varies depending on the visa office at which the case is
    > > > processed.Additional information on this topic may be found at
Campbell,
    > > > Cohen's web site at the following URL:
    > > >
    > > > http://canadavisa.com/documents/faq.htm
    > > > ________
    > > > CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law tel:514.937.9445 / fax:514.937.2618
    > > > [email protected] http://canadavisa.com
    > > >
    > > > Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community
    > >
    >

Old Jul 3rd 2002, 8:20 pm
Sympatico

Since you are posting from Tulsa, OK - USA let me give you my honest answer. I have a
good secure job and I do not have a problem with people coming to Canada to work
(i.e., work permit) BUT I have a major problem with people who come here (i.e.,
immigrate) for the wrong reasons and taking someone else's chance to come here to
build and establish a permanent life for the right reasons. If you want to come here
to work then WELCOME to CANADA and if you want to immigrate to Canada for the purpose
of immigration then you are also WELCOME to CANADA. For other reasons (i.e.,
contingency plan) then you are NOT WELCOME. I also blame the system more than I blame
you because the Canadian immigration system should filter more people who are trying
to take advantage of the it on the expense of others.

"Sergei" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Who said it is not? Sounds like a good plan - cannot get a PR/Job in USA try
    > Canadian and then go pick whatever country you find more attractive to work in.
    > GOVERNMENT should serve PEOPLE not people government. Screw all people who think
    > patriotic. You have to make discent living for your family and one has to go
    > whereever he can make more money. All this arguments about "abuse of canadian
    > immigration system" is just as that, bullshit.
    >
    > Sympatico, tell me how are you going to be impacted personally if I get Canadian PR
    > and go back to USA to work for another couple years? I think you should benefit
    > from that - you have one less competitor for a job position which is considering
    > the current job market is very good for you. If you can answer honestlt my question
    > you will see that you statment "Canada is not a contingency plan for people who get
    > laid off in the USA" is not worth the time you spent posting it.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > "Sympatico" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Canada is not a contingency plan for people who get laid off in the USA.
    > >
    > > "AlanDee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > >
is
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Kim
    > > >
    > > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 3rd 2002, 8:20 pm
Andrew Miller

You made your point Sympatico and I would like to give you my support by giving an
answer (one of many possible) to the question asked by Sergei - "are you going to be
impacted personally...?"

Let's see - Buffalo's processing times were in the range of 6 to 10 months for many
years until the huge number of additional H1 visas was authorized for certain IT
positions few years back. From that moment and especially after layoffs in IT sector
in US started Buffalo has been flooded by those seeking a "contingency plan". Now
posted processing time in Buffalo is up to 36+ months.

So, if anyone thinks that "contingency plan" seekers are not affecting anyone then
s/he is simply wrong. People who applied for Canadian immigration visa with an
exclusive intention to live in Canada are paying a processing time price for those
who need or want a "backup".

I am not saying that looking for a backup option is bad - it is not and everyone in
the right state of mind and with opportunity to have one should think about it, but
it affects others terribly and making statements like "Screw all people who think
patriotic" will not bring you many friends here Sergei, regardless that the discussed
issue has nothing to do with patriotism.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
millercicanada.com (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

> Since you are posting from Tulsa, OK - USA let me give you my honest answer. I have
    > a good secure job and I do not have a problem with people coming to Canada to work
    > (i.e., work permit) BUT I have a major problem with people who come here (i.e.,
    > immigrate) for the wrong reasons and taking someone else's chance to come here to
    > build and establish a permanent life for the right reasons. If you want to come
    > here to work then WELCOME to CANADA and if you want to immigrate to Canada for the
    > purpose of immigration then you are also WELCOME to CANADA. For other reasons
    > (i.e., contingency plan) then you are NOT WELCOME. I also blame the system more
    > than I blame you because the Canadian immigration system should filter more people
    > who are trying to take advantage of the it on the expense of others.
    >
    >
    > "Sergei" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Who said it is not? Sounds like a good plan - cannot get a PR/Job in USA try
    > > Canadian and then go pick whatever country you find more attractive to work in.
    > > GOVERNMENT should serve PEOPLE not people government. Screw all people who think
    > > patriotic. You have to make discent living for your family and one has to go
    > > whereever he can make more money. All this arguments about "abuse of canadian
    > > immigration system" is just as that, bullshit.
    > >
    > > Sympatico, tell me how are you going to be impacted personally if I get Canadian
    > > PR and go back to USA to work for another couple years? I think you should
    > > benefit from that - you have one less competitor for a job position which is
    > > considering the current job market is very good for you. If you can answer
    > > honestlt my question you will see that you statment "Canada is not a contingency
    > > plan for people who get laid off in the USA" is not worth the time you spent
    > > posting it.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > "Sympatico" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected] >...
    > > > Canada is not a contingency plan for people who get laid off in the USA.
    > > >
    > > > "AlanDee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > >
    > > > > My brother on an H1B has just been laid off, he is over three years on H1B,
    > > > > no real chance of securing sponsorship, and has to decide fast what to do.
    > > > >
    > > > > Is moving to Canada an option, if he finds a job there, how difficult
    > is
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > --
    > > > > Kim
    > > > >
    > > > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.