Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

GTA residents anyone flying from Buffalo these days?

GTA residents anyone flying from Buffalo these days?

Old Jan 6th 2007, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute
Default GTA residents anyone flying from Buffalo these days?

There are some remarkably cheap fares if you pop over the border - The Cdn Taxes on airline tickets are crazy , Wondered if anyone had tried Buffalo as an alternative?
Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GTA residents anyone flying from Buffalo these days?

Originally Posted by ray1968
There are some remarkably cheap fares if you pop over the border - The Cdn Taxes on airline tickets are crazy , Wondered if anyone had tried Buffalo as an alternative?
Yes, we routinely fly from Buffalo and have also flown from Rochester, Detroit and Montreal in preference to Pearson. YYZ has to be a lot cheaper before I'll choose it over Buffalo. Apart from the hassle of using the World's Worst Airport, the cost of parking such that Buffalo is a viable alternative even if it means paying for a night in an hotel in order to catch an early flight.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 10:55 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes, we routinely fly from Buffalo and have also flown from Rochester, Detroit and Montreal in preference to Pearson. YYZ has to be a lot cheaper before I'll choose it over Buffalo. Apart from the hassle of using the World's Worst Airport, the cost of parking such that Buffalo is a viable alternative even if it means paying for a night in an hotel in order to catch an early flight.
Toronto International is the "World's Worst Airport"? Then why was Toronto Pearson International Airport selected as the "Best Global Airport 2006" by the Institute of Transport Management?

http://www.gtaa.com/Index.aspx?Sid=N...=6&PRESSID=863
Old Jan 6th 2007, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Toronto International is the "World's Worst Airport"? Then why was Toronto Pearson International Airport selected as the "Best Global Airport 2006" by the Institute of Transport Management?

dunno if its the worst i hear the landing fees are the highest in the world
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:03 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

dunno if its the worst i hear the landing fees are the highest in the world
Yes, the landing fees are extremely high.... I think last year they beat out even Toyko.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:06 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I fly regularly in and out of Pearson Terminal 1 (Air Canada) is definitely world class...

However Terminal 3's (the rest) is a dump

Much like BA's terminals in Heathrow are great but the rest are crap
Old Jan 7th 2007, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

is it really that must cheaper? is it cheaper for flights to UK???
Old Jan 7th 2007, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Just checking a flight to Miami, as an example. $90 cheaper out of Buffalo, same airline and same flight. Worth it? Not to me. The extra drive time? The boarder crossing? I'd never consider it worth it. My time is worth something.
Fly to Sarasota? Yep. Cheaper by about $100..as long as you don't mind the previously mentioned issues, and fact that it requires a flight change, and Air Canada from Toronto does not. More time lost and inconvenience.

Flying to Lima Peru? About the same, but cheaper by Air Canada if you take the time to check various arrival and departure dates. And it's a direct flight from Toronto, versus a change in Miami or Atlanta out of Buffalo. Go through customs and immigration in the U.S. and Canada on return? Not my idea of fun.

So, while there may be some situations where some might find Buffalo attractive, I am not one of them. Of course if you are flying alone, like me, all of what I said matters. If you are traveling as a family with those savings on 3 or 4 tickets, then we are talking a whole different ballgame.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 4:57 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I fly regularly in and out of Pearson Terminal 1 (Air Canada) is definitely world class...

However Terminal 3's (the rest) is a dump

Much like BA's terminals in Heathrow are great but the rest are crap
Here are some photos of the new pier F of T1:

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=416502

.... and notice that many think Terminal 3 is not looking too bad.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by celine_uk
is it really that must cheaper? is it cheaper for flights to UK???
Its cheaper to fly in the states - especially when the carriers have sales on JetBlue and Southwest are top notch low cost carriers, I spoke with friend who saved $800 on a family for 4 to Orlando - when all taxes are included
Old Jan 7th 2007, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Its cheaper to fly in the states - especially when the carriers have sales on JetBlue and Southwest are top notch low cost carriers, I spoke with friend who saved $800 on a family for 4 to Orlando - when all taxes are included
A bit of competition is a wonderful thing.

I can't wait to start using Detroit airport... Spirit Airline's special this week is 5c + tax one way to Myrtle Beach, La Guardia or West Palm Beach
Old Jan 7th 2007, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
A bit of competition is a wonderful thing.

I can't wait to start using Detroit airport... Spirit Airline's special this week is 5c + tax one way to Myrtle Beach, La Guardia or West Palm Beach
I think its the lower taxes there ..westjet once did a $1 promo Calgary to edmonton one way ...with taxes came to $89
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX

I would imagine that to an organization running airports "better" equates to "more profitable". To this frequent flyer "better" equates to "less hassle and lower prices". I would pay slightly more for a flight out of Buffalo for the pleasure of being served in English and to avoid the queues, but have never had to, once the taxes have been taken into account the fare out of Buffalo has always been cheaper. I'm also saving $150/week in lower parking charges if I fly out of the passable airport in Buffalo or the very nice one in Detroit rather than that shambles in Mississauga.

Don't believe the adverts, ocean, actually try YYZ, it's truly awful.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 11:29 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Don't believe the adverts, ocean, actually try YYZ, it's truly awful.
I've used YYZ many times, and I didn't find it too bad.

.... and unlike some individuals - not to mention any names - I've never been unduly influenced by adverts..... not even by Tim Hortons TV commercials.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=tim+hortons

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jan 7th 2007 at 11:50 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

This time last year I found it cheaper to fly to jfk from manchester then go fly jet blue to buffalo where my cousin picked me up and drove over peace bridge. The little old guy in the immigration called out if we had anything to declare, "Just the guy in the back!" called my cousin. I waved my passport and shouted "I'm british!!" Not blinking an eye, the old guy shouted " Don't do anything illegal!"
Classic, now i must admit crossing back to the US was a canadian holiday and the US immigration was just waving any ONT reg cars through. Don't know how they would have reacted if on a quiet day when they realised I hadn't admitted leavin their country like you are supposed to.
I was gonna plead stupid tourist!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.