Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

GTA real estate market, anyone else selling ?

Wikiposts

GTA real estate market, anyone else selling ?

Old Aug 18th 2012, 3:08 am
Account Closed

cinelight is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GTA real estate market, anyone else selling ?

Hi,

I'm selling my house in Ajax (GTA) 35 minutes by train from Toronto for 249000$

it's 2 bedrooms with a huge garden, not one of the puny things you get with 'modern' townhouses'

I'm seeing little activity, in 3 weeks, is it just me or the same for other sellers on this forum ?
Old Aug 18th 2012, 4:59 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GTA real estate market, anyone else selling ?

That is strange, two detached 3 beds near me sold within weeks just a few weeks ago. Are you north or LA?
Old Aug 18th 2012, 5:10 am
Account Closed

Hi,

we had two 'fire' estate agent who was very slow, that lasted 3 weeks...

We're in south Ajax, close to town hall etc.

Just read that sales in GTA are down nearly 8% in first two weeks of August.

I really hope I wasn't too late putting it on sale, as we're moving back to the UK.

Well, if you know of anyone looking for a house give me a shout :-)
Old Aug 18th 2012, 5:17 am

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, these are south of Clements, short walk to the lake. maybe location? No houses round here have been on market for long before selling.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 5:34 am
Account Closed

Location is fine. Market is dead especially with the media relentlessly pushing us to a recession
Old Aug 18th 2012, 5:59 am

It's only been three weeks and that area is ok IMO. Close to hardwood plaza ect. Maybe, just maybe it may have something to do with the construction on Harwood?
Old Aug 18th 2012, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hearing doom and gloom about the housing market too. I doubt it's any sort of major downturn starting though, the economy in general isn't doing too badly. I would guess it's just the usual late summer lull. I can't imagine too many families would be looking to buy around about now with school starting up again in a few weeks.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 8:21 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming that you have a two bedroom townhouse with a large garden. For a family home two bedrooms doesn't cut it and that's probably why you've had no nibbles.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I'm assuming that you have a two bedroom townhouse with a large garden. For a family home two bedrooms doesn't cut it and that's probably why you've had no nibbles.
I maybe wrong, but it maybe a 2 bed, older style bungalow/house with a second floor in the roof?

<snip>

Last edited by Sue; Aug 19th 2012 at 2:24 am. Reason: links removed
Old Aug 18th 2012, 9:37 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I maybe wrong, but it maybe a 2 bed, older style bungalow/house with a second floor in the roof?

<snip>
We had a house similar to that.

If that is yours- just my unasked for opinion - Try a bit more staging. Tidy the books, by colour and size, or better still get rid of the bookcases or put them in the basement. Put a picture on that wall in the centre. get rid of the table cloth and rugs. Put flowers on the table. Hide the cat beds. Get some more photos taken especially one of the kitchen that doesn't show the small window blocked by the cupboards. Get that pan off the hob. Hang the dining room curtains straight and symmetrically. Get some photos of the bedrooms and bathroom on there - otherwise people wonder what you are hiding. Trim the huge bush by the back door, put some chairs on the deck and get a photo of the deck. Close the shed doors.

might work

Last edited by Sue; Aug 19th 2012 at 2:25 am. Reason: Quoted links removed
Old Aug 18th 2012, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by bats
We had a house similar to that.

If that is yours- just my unasked for opinion - Try a bit more staging. Tidy the books, by colour and size, or better still get rid of the bookcases or put them in the basement. Put a picture on that wall in the centre. get rid of the table cloth and rugs. Put flowers on the table. Hide the cat beds. Get some more photos taken especially one of the kitchen that doesn't show the small window blocked by the cupboards. Get that pan off the hob. Hang the dining room curtains straight and symmetrically. Get some photos of the bedrooms and bathroom on there - otherwise people wonder what you are hiding. Trim the huge bush by the back door, put some chairs on the deck and get a photo of the deck. Close the shed doors.

might work
Good advise, them pics dont do it justice, de-clutter and retake the pics would help, if thats the OP house.
The first house we rented was the same, the upstairs gets hot in summer and is freezing in winter, ours may have been badly insulated. Sold quick though, within a month.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 2:22 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I've removed the links.

Please be mindful (as per our site rules) of other members privacy

Many thanks
Old Aug 19th 2012, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cinelight
Hi,

we had two 'fire' estate agent who was very slow, that lasted 3 weeks...

We're in south Ajax, close to town hall etc.

Just read that sales in GTA are down nearly 8% in first two weeks of August.

I really hope I wasn't too late putting it on sale, as we're moving back to the UK.

Well, if you know of anyone looking for a house give me a shout :-)
The market is generally slow in August. A lot of people with children buy earlier in the year so they can move before the school year and other people are too busy on vacation to be bothered to househunt. I would give it a few more weeks before starting to panic. I have seen some really beautiful houses sit on the market for the last two weeks of July and the whole of August with hardly any action and then sell within a couple of days once September hits and everyone is back from vacation.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 10:26 am
Account Closed

YEs, hoping it picks up in September :-)
Old Aug 19th 2012, 11:37 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

It seems slow up here too. A house opposite me went up for sale a few days ago. It's priced way below (20-30k) what anyone on our street would have expected.

Maybe it's just priced for a quick sale. The guy was moving stuff out before the sign went up and I haven't seen his wife and kids for a while. This street seems to have a marital curse on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.