Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

GST on house builds.

GST on house builds.

Old Jun 19th 2006, 8:35 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default GST on house builds.

Saw our liaision today who told us that although the govt will be reducing gst as of July 1st they will still be charging 7%.
Any comments on the legality of this??
Old Jun 19th 2006, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GST on house builds.

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Saw our liaision today who told us that although the govt will be reducing gst as of July 1st they will still be charging 7%.
I'm no expert, Butch - but I would think if money is changing hands after the new GST law kicks in, then you should pay the new rate of 6%
Old Jun 19th 2006, 9:06 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Calgal
I'm no expert, Butch - but I would think if money is changing hands after the new GST law kicks in, then you should pay the new rate of 6%
I'm not sure of the legallity of still charging the 7 % GST but I can see where it comes from.

The builder and all his subs will have paid the GST prior to July the first so would have paid 7% and most likely don't want to be stuck eating the 1%.

It makes for an interesting transition.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jun 19th 2006, 9:37 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
If the agreement to purchase was made before May 3 2006, they can do this.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/gi-015/gi-015-e.pdf
Old Jun 19th 2006, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
I'm not sure of the legallity of still charging the 7 % GST but I can see where it comes from.

The builder and all his subs will have paid the GST prior to July the first so would have paid 7% and most likely don't want to be stuck eating the 1%.

It makes for an interesting transition.

Cheers
Steve
That makes sense Steve, I hadnt thought of it like that. Although of course, materials bought toward the end of building for finishing the exterior etc, the builder will get the benefit of the 1% difference in GST.