Reload this Page >

Grimsby, Ontario

Grimsby, Ontario

Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

joandmarti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grimsby, Ontario

Hi Folks,

I am due to move out to Canada in the next couple of months and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of Grimsby. Looking for info on any clubs etc for our 4 year old daughter. [I]Here in Scotland she is kept quite busy with dancing lessons and swimming lessons.

Does anyone live in the area and know of any areas to stear clear of?

What is schooling like in the area?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grimsby, Ontario

Cant really help directly, but like most places in the habitable parts of Ontario, it will have local swimming, dance, gymnastics, skating (of course) etc. Funding it all is the trick!

Its pretty close to St Catherines and Hamilton so anything Grimbsy is missing St Cats or Hamilton can probably provide. Only thing thats a bit scarce is Skiing, I guess Milton is the closest.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 22nd 2011 at 1:18 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joandmarti
Hi Folks,

I am due to move out to Canada in the next couple of months and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of Grimsby. Looking for info on any clubs etc for our 4 year old daughter. [I]Here in Scotland she is kept quite busy with dancing lessons and swimming lessons.

Does anyone live in the area and know of any areas to stear clear of?

What is schooling like in the area?

Thanks in advance!
http://www.town.grimsby.on.ca/Recrea...-Leisure/Main/
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

This might be useful for assessing schools?

http://www.eqao.com/results/?Lang=E
Old Mar 9th 2011, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Bells1424 will become famous soon enoughBells1424 will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I have lived in Grimsby for the last 3 years (Canada for 11 years) give or take and really enjoy living here. You can tell it used to be a small town but has grown paticularly over the last 3-5 years. I like it because it's still got the small-ish town feel but you are close to the country too.
There are local clubs offering various acitivities for kids. We have a recreation centre which offers a gym, ice rink and lots of other programmes. There is currently a YMCA being constructed which will have a pool and will be open this year (sorry not sure when).Nearby towns of Beamsville and Smithville also offer clubs etc.
Maybe check out this website for the town of Grimsby:
http://www.town.grimsby.on.ca/Recrea...-Leisure/Main/
I don't think you will struggle to find activites for your daughter.
As for staying clear of any areas, I would say you don't need to. I honestly think you can't go wrong in any part of Grimsby. It is very rare that you see crime reported in the local newspaper. That's one reason I love living here - you definately feel safe.
Here's the website to one of the local newspapers:
http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/news

Hopefully this helps! If I can be of any further help just ask!
Old Mar 9th 2011, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

joandmarti is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Bells 1424. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I was out in Grimsby in September last year and really liked the place. I still thought it felt small townish. I currently have a realtor Bob Widdicombe working on finding us a home. Do you know much about the schools in the area?
Old Mar 9th 2011, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Bells1424 will become famous soon enoughBells1424 will become famous soon enough

I'm afraid I can't help you much with regards to schools really. If you haven't already done so you can find info on public and Catholic schools via the town of Grimsby website:
http://www.town.grimsby.on.ca/School-Boards/Main/
This links you to the District Schoolboard of Niagara which provides maps & contact info of the schools.

On my last post I gave you the wrong link to the local newspaper - sorry, wrong Grimsby!! have a ganders at this one:
http://www.niagarathisweek.com