Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Greetings from my Igloo

Greetings from my Igloo

Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant future
Default Greetings from my Igloo

Well It's not that cold for January but it can be!!

OK, my name is Mike and I live in little old Fort Macleod, Alberta (famous for the movie "Broke Butt Mountain" . I have been here since 1983 but only gained citizenship last year. I am originally from Cheltenham, Gloucetershire.

I love Canada...what do I miss....Family, countryside, pastie and chips, REAL humour, pubs with atmosphere and pg 3 of the Sun....just kidding!

Not sure I can help anyone but I know a little about the red tape of getting your citizenship when here!

Cheers

Mike
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greetings from my Igloo

Originally Posted by Canada Goose
Well It's not that cold for January but it can be!!

OK, my name is Mike and I live in little old Fort Macleod, Alberta (famous for the movie "Broke Butt Mountain" . I have been here since 1983 but only gained citizenship last year. I am originally from Cheltenham, Gloucetershire.

I love Canada...what do I miss....Family, countryside, pastie and chips, REAL humour, pubs with atmosphere and pg 3 of the Sun....just kidding!

Not sure I can help anyone but I know a little about the red tape of getting your citizenship when here!

Cheers

Mike
Hi Mike

Will be down the road from you in Lethbridge - hubby will be there from Feb 4th with me and the kids following later.

No doubt we will actually come up to see the mounties as have never shown them to the kids - always run out of time when come on hols - surprise surprise.

Welcome

Gaynor

Last edited by burton bunch; Jan 21st 2007 at 8:28 pm. Reason: oops - forgot to tell you my name LOL
Old Jan 21st 2007, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant future

Well stop by and say cheers!! The weather has been not so bad with our "Chinooks"... I can post pictures if interested but quite the weather pattern.

Small world...my sister is from close to Manchester!

Cheers

Mike
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Well stop by and say cheers!! The weather has been not so bad with our "Chinooks"... I can post pictures if interested but quite the weather pattern.

Small world...my sister is from close to Manchester!

Cheers

Mike

Cool mike - good grief bet she is my next doo neighbour - only joking but it is a smaller world for sure.

GAYNOR
Old Jan 21st 2007, 11:12 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Cool mike - good grief bet she is my next doo neighbour - only joking but it is a smaller world for sure.

GAYNOR
It wouldn't surprise me Gaynor, after all that other girl just lives around the corner (sorry can't remember her name been a while since I've been in the chat room).

Hello again Mike and welcome
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute

.. I am originally from Cheltenham, Gloucetershire...
Hi Mike - Cheltenham eh. I used to work for Linotype, have you heard of them? I was based in Manchester - ah those were the days, that drive up & down the M6/5 on a Friday makes driving round Toronto seem like a milk run.
Mike
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by macmike41
Hi Mike - Cheltenham eh. I used to work for Linotype, have you heard of them? I was based in Manchester - ah those were the days, that drive up & down the M6/5 on a Friday makes driving round Toronto seem like a milk run.
Mike
Linotype does sound familiar. Must admit that I do miss the Cotswolds. I was back this past summer and had the chance to ride a motorbike for an afternoon and it almost brought tears to a glass eye. Geez, how can someone love two countries, it's like having your heart in two places. I was amazed at how quickly the driving/riding bikes came back after so many years of being on the other side of the road...haha.

Sis used to live in the Lake District (Kendall) but now moved to the quiet life of living on a canal boat (see pic I took this summer) on the Lancashire canal system. Great for a few days or holiday but I could not live on one for extended periods!
Attached Thumbnails Greetings from my Igloo-canal.jpg  
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by raine66
Thanks Raine...there's a chat room here?? Shall have a looksie..cheers

Mike
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Linotype does sound familiar. Must admit that I do miss the Cotswolds. I was back this past summer and had the chance to ride a motorbike for an afternoon and it almost brought tears to a glass eye. Geez, how can someone love two countries, it's like having your heart in two places. I was amazed at how quickly the driving/riding bikes came back after so many years of being on the other side of the road...haha.

Sis used to live in the Lake District (Kendall) but now moved to the quiet life of living on a canal boat (see pic I took this summer) on the Lancashire canal system. Great for a few days or holiday but I could not live on one for extended periods!
Wow small world Im a cheltenion too ,did you manage to visit cheltenham ,on your trip back in the summer we were fortunate to spend from July to December in the Cotswolds in a rental before getting ready for our move to Vancouver so know what you mean but its canada thats got the pull for me
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

It wouldn't surprise me Gaynor, after all that other girl just lives around the corner (sorry can't remember her name been a while since I've been in the chat room).

Hi Raine

You mean Mrs JFW from the oz forum AKA Jackie the nurse. Yeah we can see each others houses from my patio and her bedroom window.

Amazing as we never knew each other till we met up on here

Gaynor
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:18 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Raine...there's a chat room here?? Shall have a looksie..cheers

Mike
Yeah at the top of the page where it says Chat
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:19 pm
Reunited

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hi Raine

You mean Mrs JFW from the oz forum AKA Jackie the nurse. Yeah we can see each others houses from my patio and her bedroom window.

Amazing as we never knew each other till we met up on here

Gaynor

Thats the one
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah at the top of the page where it says Chat
Duuuuhh, thanks Raine!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Mike, ............ so is that you in the picture?

Last edited by Mountain Girl; Jan 23rd 2007 at 4:07 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by smelly
Welcome Mike, ............ so is that you in the picture?
Thanks for the welcome and yep that's me, bald as a cue ball. Well the hair does grow around the sides and back but I did not want the "monk" look Among other things I am a wedding photographer and was playing with the lights one boring evening.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Greetings from my Igloo-me1.jpg