Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The GREAT auto insurance poll

Wikiposts

The GREAT auto insurance poll

Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The GREAT auto insurance poll

Originally Posted by Calgal
(My location is 'rural', and literally down the road from Posidrive)
Posting Again, looks like you have found a use for the desks
Old Nov 29th 2005, 3:20 am
ACL
Forum Regular

ACL will become famous soon enough

Our auto insurance for a 98 Ford Windstar 3.8 GL- fully comp is $750 Canadian Dollars per year. Didn't think that was tooooooo bad....
Old Nov 29th 2005, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
.....a few drivers, such as Calgal, saw a large premium reduction and most drivers saw a small increase.
I wish I did see a 'large reduction' Perhaps it hasn't happened yet (trying to be optimistic...lol)
Old Nov 29th 2005, 3:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I did see a 'large reduction' Perhaps it hasn't happened yet (trying to be optimistic...lol)
I guess it was your sons that got it :

"The Alberta Government recently intervened and legislated lower premiums, as it was becoming impossibly expensive for a lot of people. My sons would have been paying about $5000 or more each under the old system."

This was the first I heard of anyone winning as a result of these changes, shame it wasn't you.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Posting Again, looks like you have found a use for the desks
Hiya Posidrive Yeah, but I 'should' be doing other things...lol I'm kinda losing the will to live when I look around at the mess we're in

To top it all - we had yet ANOTHER leak (infloor heating this time) and my poor son just had an accident in the snow on Sunday and it looks likely a write-off. (If you saw the tree on a neighbours land at a 45 degree angle on the way out of the estate - that was him! The guy has staked it now, but I don't think it will survive).

Poor kid he's really down about it. I'm just glad he's OK

So - as this thread is about insurance, it will be interesting to see how it works out - I was relieved to hear from the broker that although the insurance company assumes we'll share vehicles (even if you sign a statement saying you won't), it will only affect his premium.

Something which did surprise me, is although he has the Canadian equivalent of 'fully comp' cover, medical treatment for injury to himself is NOT covered! :scared:
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

I guess it was your sons that got it :

"The Alberta Government recently intervened and legislated lower premiums, as it was becoming impossibly expensive for a lot of people. My sons would have been paying about $5000 or more each under the old system."

This was the first I heard of anyone winning as a result of these changes, shame it wasn't you.
Yep - seems that young drivers are benefitting the most. Fortunately for my boys, the changes came JUST before they got their first cars, otherwise it just wouldn't have happened, and I would be driving them everywhere or lending them mine! Which was lucky 'cos we're outside the city and their schedules are all over the place and would have been inconvenient at best.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

To top it all - we had yet ANOTHER leak (infloor heating this time) and my poor son just had an accident in the snow on Sunday and it looks likely a write-off. (If you saw the tree on a neighbours land at a 45 degree angle on the way out of the estate - that was him! The guy has staked it now, but I don't think it will survive).
:scared: Glad he's OK. Was it the BMW? Rear wheel drive and snow/ice just don't mix. I'm going to glue the drive selector on "her indoors" Nissan Pathfinder in the 4WD position so that she doesn't get tempted to save fuel with the 2WD setting.

I tested my brakes and about 10 kph on CLP this morning. Skid.................
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:58 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Rear wheel drive and snow/ice just don't mix.

I'm going to glue the drive selector on "her indoors" Nissan Pathfinder in the 4WD position so that she doesn't get tempted to save fuel with the 2WD setting
The cops seem to get about OK in their RWD Crown Vics, and last time I checked all the ambulances are RWD as well.

Tires is the thing. Round here they all use Goodyear UltraGrips.

And training too I suppose helps.

Better to stick to 2WD until you get stuck and then use 4WD to get out. 4WD gives a false sense of security and you end up going faster than you should for the conditions and then cant stop in time. Plus running in 4WD without enough slippage on the dry days is a good way to wreck a basic "part time" 4WD system.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 29th 2005 at 5:05 am.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
The cops seem to get about OK in their RWD Crown Vics, and last time I checked all the ambulances are RWD as well.
It's all down to training and how you drive the car. Modern electronics help as well.

I used to have a 300 HP rear while drive car that had none of the modern goodies. It was undrivable in anything other that a straight line once the road became slippery.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:17 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to have a 300 HP rear while drive car that had none of the modern goodies. It was undrivable in anything other that a straight line once the road became slippery.
I don't mean this as any sort of criticism.

However we all got around just fine in the winter prior to 1980, when all vehicles were rear wheel drive and a lot of high horse power jobs as well.

It's all in how you handle the conditions.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:19 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Modern electronics help as well.
Nothing modern about a crown vic!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

:scared: Glad he's OK. Was it the BMW? Rear wheel drive and snow/ice just don't mix. I'm going to glue the drive selector on "her indoors" Nissan Pathfinder in the 4WD position so that she doesn't get tempted to save fuel with the 2WD setting.

I tested my brakes and about 10 kph on CLP this morning. Skid.................
Nope - was the other son in (what was my beloved) GTP. Front wheel drive. He came to the 'T' junction at the end of our road, broke, but just kept on going. He flew down the five foot embankment into the garden opposite, the front underside clobbered the ground on an angle first then he bounced back up and hit the tree at the front, and two others to the drivers side. I reckon he's got a twisted chassis. Poor sod - he's devastated. He loved that car.

Originally Posted by iaink

Tires is the thing. Round here they all use Goodyear UltraGrips.

And training too I suppose helps.

Better to stick to 2WD until you get stuck and then use 4WD to get out. 4WD gives a false sense of security and you end up going faster than you should for the conditions and then cant stop in time. Plus running in 4WD without enough slippage on the dry days is a good way to wreck a basic "part time" 4WD system.
You're dead right there - people in AWD ('cept me ) seem to think because they have it, they're invincible! What they fail to recognise, is stopping is no different for them than any other vehicle. I made sure my kids went to Young drivers for their training - SO worth the extra money (which you get back in discount from your insurance, so pays for itself anyway ), as well as making them much more capable drivers!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I have problems with the Mustang in the winter (RWD, quite a lot of horses, all season radials) but not usually traction related. The problem is visibility, it's low and lots of salt gets on the windows. If I don't mind driving by braille I can keep it moving fine unless the snow is more than about 5" deep; it doesn't have the ground clearance for deep snow. Still, the past two winters I drove it all over Southern Ontario and Michigan without great drama. SUVs and exotic rubber are, I think, very much an urban thing. Friends and relatives who live in the country have F150s on skinny tyres, they just stick something heavy in the back and off they go.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:33 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I have problems with the Mustang in the winter (RWD, quite a lot of horses, all season radials) but not usually traction related. The problem is visibility, it's low and lots of salt gets on the windows.
That's what windshield washer antifreeze is for.

You should always have an extra four litres (gallon) in the trunk.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Hangman
That's what windshield washer antifreeze is for.

You should always have an extra four litres (gallon) in the trunk.
Oh I have that, but it's in the trunk. I don't get out in the middle of a trip to move it to the squirters, I just drive close to the back of trucks.

It's a problem anyway because the wipers only clear two arcs, they do nothing for the corners or the side windows, April brings a revelation !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.