Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which Grade?...Confused!

Which Grade?...Confused!

Old Aug 19th 2007, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

lee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nice
Default Which Grade?...Confused!

Hi, can anyone help? I'm trying to find out which grades my children will be in when they start school at the end of August.
My daughter is 13yrs old and my son is 10yrs. We live in Crystal Ridge, Okotoks. AB
I'm being told something different by the school division each time I ask!
All replies gratefully received
Old Aug 19th 2007, 4:32 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which Grade?...Confused!

Originally Posted by lee58uk
Hi, can anyone help? I'm trying to find out which grades my children will be in when they start school at the end of August.
My daughter is 13yrs old and my son is 10yrs. We live in Crystal Ridge, Okotoks. AB
Normally the 13 year old would be going into grade 8 and the 10 year old grade 5.

But it depends on when their birthdays are plus the school board may evaluate their academic standing and move them ahead a year.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 1:38 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

I am not quite sure why, but Alberta has decided that in the public system the age cut off for the school age year is end of January!!. My son who was born in August was the youngest in the class in the uk. When we moved he went from grade 5 to grade 4 as we definitely wanted him with his age group and peers and not the last one in his class to go into a pub, drive and when he goes to university, not to be 17.

Now my other son was a november baby and was the oldest and stayed in the same grade level and is now one of the youngest. In his class in the UK was a girl who also moved over and as her birthday was in July was put in the grade lower. They are all with their age group and 5 years on, all doing well at school with no side affects of either being the youngest, brightess, or oldest or doing a grade with the same name twice (They do not repeat a year, as they are with their age group, so really it is just another name)

My advice is when you get to the school ask them.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 1:45 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It really doesn't matter. Wait until they get to school...it'll all work out fine.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi hun

Hannah is 13 in Nov- making her a 1994 baby and will go into Grade 8 in September.

Nate was 11 in May - making him a 1996 baby and he will start Grade 6 in September

HTH Gaynor