GPS

Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

allicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant future
Default GPS

Looking to buy a GPS for Canada and USA OH is going out on the highway trucking. Have been told that Garmin is the best anybody got any recomendations?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

sholeee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GPS

Originally Posted by allicat001
Looking to buy a GPS for Canada and USA OH is going out on the highway trucking. Have been told that Garmin is the best anybody got any recomendations?

What specifically do you need a GPS for?Do you have the coordinates of the place in advance?or Do you need the one with already built in maps?
Garmin is good
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

allicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sholeee
What specifically do you need a GPS for?Do you have the coordinates of the place in advance?or Do you need the one with already built in maps?
Garmin is good
looking for something to use in the truck for work and also in the car when he's not working so was looking at one with maps built in - Garmin Nuvi 265W/WT GPS - 4.3" Touch Screen or Garmin Nuvi 1350T Auto GPS - 4.3" Touch Screen can't work out the difference ??
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:04 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I find that they all suck. I find they do not give proper directions and take you the long way around. Have found this out on several trips that I make routinely. They had me going sometimes 10 miles out of the way.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Kirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant future

Ive got a panasonic strada its got a 5" screen never had any problems with it. Would reccomend one
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:39 am
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all

Tom Tom1 is all you need in my opinion... I have an old one that has the mb card slot in the bottom so I have the UK, Canada & US on it.

I have used it extensively around Florida, Ontario and LA and its been brilliant. Its enabled me to go to everywhere I've wanted to and get back without any problems. I would say as long as you are cautious around city centres(due to new 1 way systems and road layout changes) you will be fine

Occasionally when you're sitting in a car with a local and you are following the GPS they will say "Oh why did it take you down this road when you could have just cut across there" but for me I would never be without it
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:17 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently you can get Snoop Doggy Dog to do the voice for your sat-nat/GPS. Which is nice.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:26 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Why would anyone need a GPS in Canada? There are very few roads and virtually no choices of routes. Get a map.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:48 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Why would anyone need a GPS in Canada? There are very few roads and virtually no choices of routes. Get a map.
States in the original post that he will be going to the US.... With a myriad of roads in the US, I wouldn't fancy navigating that via map. Whilst I appreciate that people did have to do this at one time, for the sake of 100 quid - why inflict such pain on yourself?

I have a TomTom and whilst it does take me on some strange routes occasionally, it normally works out ok.... I have heard that Garmin's have better Points Of Interest (POI) databases for the US. I was however familiar with the TomTom interface after using it for years in the UK, so that's what I stuck with.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:05 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
States in the original post that he will be going to the US.... With a myriad of roads in the US, I wouldn't fancy navigating that via map. Whilst I appreciate that people did have to do this at one time, for the sake of 100 quid - why inflict such pain on yourself?

I have a TomTom and whilst it does take me on some strange routes occasionally, it normally works out ok.... I have heard that Garmin's have better Points Of Interest (POI) databases for the US. I was however familiar with the TomTom interface after using it for years in the UK, so that's what I stuck with.
Perhaps I should've added a smiley.

I've posted this before, but when I first lived in California (33 years ago) I asked in a gas station if they had a map.

The attendant looked down at where I was standing and asked "Why, what have you spilled?"

Last edited by Novocastrian; Apr 12th 2010 at 2:09 am.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:07 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief, you jest surely? I always hire a GPS on my bi-annual forays around the GTA. 'Where have you been?' people ask me and it's difficult to answer because I merely follow the bleep to another postcode. And of course urban sprawl looks the same whereever you are. No, without GPS I would be stuck in an endless loop trying to get out of the industrial part of Richmond Hill.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:42 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I've posted this before, but when I first lived in California (33 years ago) I asked in a gas station if they had a map.
You'd need at the very least a map now, what a sprawling mess of confusing roads!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
States in the original post that he will be going to the US.... With a myriad of roads in the US, I wouldn't fancy navigating that via map.
We just spent a week driving around AZ. Since we took a map, rather than a gizmo, we achieved the same effect by having the passenger recite "please return to the highlight rout" in a tinny, vaguely Oriental, voice.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Martin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant future

I prefer the TomTom products, too. I use mine in Europe and North America with no issues at all.

Cheers

Martin
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

i have a Garmin nuvi and never had any problems with it - have used it in the UK here and in the states too and works a treat - apart from downtown calgary when it gets a little confused because of the high rise buildings

There is a place in calgary that does really good deals on GPS systems called GPS Central a google search should bring it up for you and they ship to you too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.