got loads of offers, now need help

Wikiposts

got loads of offers, now need help

Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:08 am
joiner

steve lowe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: got loads of offers, now need help

hi ruby
contacted them all personally, we build new houses so i contacted all the house builders and sent our resume. there seems to be work in NS, we have a friend who is a architect there and he says that they have not been affected by the downturn at all. he originally was in vancouver and said that he saw a slow down there especially in construction and new house build. he was head hunted to go to NS and says he now has an even better value of life and that things are still quite busy. what type of construction does your other half work in ?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:33 am
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steve lowe
hi ruby
contacted them all personally, we build new houses so i contacted all the house builders and sent our resume. there seems to be work in NS, we have a friend who is a architect there and he says that they have not been affected by the downturn at all. he originally was in vancouver and said that he saw a slow down there especially in construction and new house build. he was head hunted to go to NS and says he now has an even better value of life and that things are still quite busy. what type of construction does your other half work in ?
Hi Steve

Thanks for replying.

Hubby recently qualified as a bricklayer as he wanted a proper trade after 20 odd years in construction - just as the economy went down the tubes, I'm sure he jinxed it!!

We know bricklaying isn't that common in Canada but he also has over 20 years experience as a machine driver & pipelayer. It is this that has kept him in employment over here luckily and we're hoping that this type of work is still in demand over in Canada. We will soon find out on our trip!!

Thanks again and good luck with everything.

Rubie
Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:41 am
joiner

your welcome rubie..
sorry spelt your name wrong last time..
good luck
Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

6 limes has a spectacular aura about6 limes has a spectacular aura about6 limes has a spectacular aura about

Hi Steve. Hope you dont mind me jumping in but my husband is a joiner and we're hoping to move to NS. He is a self employed subcontractor here and would ideally like to work in this way in NS. From your communication with building firms in NS does this seem like a viable option and does the earning potential seem reasonable to you? Thanks.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 7:06 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
..... you're only supposed to be holidaying, so make sure you don't take paper copies of a resume (just in case your luggage is searched - take it on a USB stick instead), travel light, etc.)
You need to give immigration more credit than that, if you really don't want to arouse suspicion about looking for work. USB drives are hardly the first word in secrecy.

Why not just email a copy of your own resume to a web based account, and have it ready to forward whenever you need to?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

tinyteds is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R I C H
You need to give immigration more credit than that, if you really don't want to arouse suspicion about looking for work. USB drives are hardly the first word in secrecy.

Why not just email a copy of your own resume to a web based account, and have it ready to forward whenever you need to?
would you still have to do this if you had already applied for PR and you were coming out on a recce trip? or would you be allowed to bring paper copies in this instance?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 7:35 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinyteds
would you still have to do this if you had already applied for PR and you were coming out on a recce trip? or would you be allowed to bring paper copies in this instance?
it is still probably safer to give them no cause for concern, at the end of the day you dont have PR, I emailed my resume to my hotmail account so I had it available and printed it off when I got there.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

tinyteds is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
it is still probably safer to give them no cause for concern, at the end of the day you dont have PR, I emailed my resume to my hotmail account so I had it available and printed it off when I got there.
ok thanks nikki! i wouldnt even have thought about this and i would have sent him out in april with the paper copies in his case, duh!!!!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:35 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 6 limes
Hi Steve. Hope you dont mind me jumping in but my husband is a joiner and we're hoping to move to NS. He is a self employed subcontractor here and would ideally like to work in this way in NS. From your communication with building firms in NS does this seem like a viable option and does the earning potential seem reasonable to you? Thanks.
If you have PR this is fine. If your on a work permit - then you have to be employed.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:54 am
joiner

as yet dont really know what the earning potential is but it seems to be similar to what we earn here, but our friend in NS says that the cost of living is more or less half what it is in the uk...
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:00 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve lowe
as yet dont really know what the earning potential is but it seems to be similar to what we earn here, but our friend in NS says that the cost of living is more or less half what it is in the uk...
If your earning UK pounds...not when your earning Canadian Dollars! It is on a par really with the UK, cept food seems to be a lot more expensive here. Quality of life is a million trillion cajillion times better though - so it is definately worth the move