got loads of offers, now need help

Wikiposts

got loads of offers, now need help

Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:18 pm
joiner

steve lowe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default got loads of offers, now need help

hi all,
could anyone help us out, after sending out our resume to as many builders in NS as possible the response back was incredible, at the moment we have 9 builders saying as soon as you land give us a call and we will sort you out some work and we have one company who has offered us a job as a self employed sub contractors which ironically we are in the uk. now my question, can we get a temp work permit/visa upon landing or is this something we would have to sort out from the uk. not one of the builders have mentioned an LMO or anything along these lines, just to come over and give them a ring,,,, PLEASE HELP, ITS ALL JUST SO FRUSTRATING :curse: i saw on this forum a couple of weeks ago one post saying you can get a work permit upon landing ,,, but i cant find it now,,,,
Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: got loads of offers, now need help

Originally Posted by steve lowe
hi all,
could anyone help us out, after sending out our resume to as many builders in NS as possible the response back was incredible, at the moment we have 9 builders saying as soon as you land give us a call and we will sort you out some work and we have one company who has offered us a job as a self employed sub contractors which ironically we are in the uk. now my question, can we get a temp work permit/visa upon landing or is this something we would have to sort out from the uk. not one of the builders have mentioned an LMO or anything along these lines, just to come over and give them a ring,,,, PLEASE HELP, ITS ALL JUST SO FRUSTRATING :curse: i saw on this forum a couple of weeks ago one post saying you can get a work permit upon landing ,,, but i cant find it now,,,,
Hi Steve.

You can get a work permit upon landing, but unfortunately you have to have the LMO first - and that's the bit that takes time and that many employers aren't prepared to do.

If none of the employers you contacted mentioned the LMO etc, then I can only assume that they are not aware of the process they'd need to go through to hire a foreign worker, or that they think you are already authorised to work in Canada.

You will need to contact them and explain the situation, and explain what they have to do to get the LMO (they have to apply, not you). Basically, they need to prove that the job has been advertised nationally across Canada on various mediums (i.e. websites, newspapers, etc) and that no Canadian has been found who is willing, or able, to do the job.

Any info you need is in the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page), which will explain all about the LMO and Temp Work Permits.

Best of luck and congrats on the job offers!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 6th 2009 at 8:29 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:27 pm
joiner

thanks fot that mate i will recontact them and ask them all to look into it.. lets see how many job offers still stand after that..
thanks again.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

thanks fot that mate i will recontact them and ask them all to look into it.. lets see how many job offers still stand after that..
thanks again.
Might be worth looking into it yourself so that you can answer any questions they put to you, and perhaps get all the paperwork from the HRSDC website so that you can just send them links to the forms, etc. Make it as easy as possible for them and then they might be prepared to go through it for you.

Will keep my fingers crossed! Good luck.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:05 pm
joiner

i will thanks for that,, we will be going over as a crew of three, does that mean we will need 3 LMO or is it just for the job offer..
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:18 pm
joiner

JUST ONE MORE QUESTION
is it possible to go over and upon landing say that we are looking for work and then sort all the LMO and work permit stuff from over there. would prefer to try and sort things out face to face as it were, dont want to miss out on the spring boom, that builders seem to take on in the spring from what response we have had...
thanks again..
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

i will thanks for that,, we will be going over as a crew of three, does that mean we will need 3 LMO or is it just for the job offer..

You would each need a LMO - it's per job and per person.

Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

JUST ONE MORE QUESTION
is it possible to go over and upon landing say that we are looking for work and then sort all the LMO and work permit stuff from over there. would prefer to try and sort things out face to face as it were, dont want to miss out on the spring boom, that builders seem to take on in the spring from what response we have had...
thanks again..
You can certainly go over there (it's recommended actually, Canadians like face to face contact so you're much more likely to get a job that way), but whatever you do, don't say that's your intention when you get there! You can be admitted for up to 6 months (usually is 6 months but it's at immigration officer's discretion) but you're only supposed to be holidaying, so make sure you don't take paper copies of a resume (just in case your luggage is searched - take it on a USB stick instead), travel light, etc.

Have a read of the 'scouting trip' article in the Wiki which will give you some hints.

Also, be aware that you may have to return to the UK before you can start work, finding a job and then getting the LMO can take more than 6 months.

Best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 6th 2009 at 11:31 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:44 pm
joiner

thanks again...
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:49 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to this - in NS a lot of the construction work is Unionised. As long as the Union confirm to the LMO people that they desperately need new construction workers, your LMO will go through WITHOUT them having advertised for the role.

They don't advertise for jobs - they approach the Union who supply them with men.

Also, LMO's here in NS take anything from 3 days upwards - but they are usually around 2/3 weeks. So not long at all.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:51 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the plans
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:53 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Also - send them this link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/hire/index.asp - and basically over any help filling it in. That usually does the trick.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:09 am
joiner

thanks to you all i will send them everything on monday...
nova scotia here we come... cant wait
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:21 am
joiner

just to add, the last few days i have rang immigration, human resources and a couple of the companies that seem the keenest to give us work..
everyone and i mean everyone over in NS seems to want to bend over backwards to help.. the only place i have drawn blanks is over here.. seems to be ,, that if you want something doing then do it yourself.. make those calls and if nothing else it will boost your feelings towards going especially when things seem to take so long from our side of the pond..
i will definitely be going in april.. and will let you all know how we get on..
by the way this site is absolutely brilliant.. real help were real help is needed..
thanks all..
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:49 am
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

Hi Steve

Please can I ask who put you in touch with the building firms or whether you contacted them directly. I ask this because we are due to go over in a few weeks and would like to send my other half's resume over in advance of our visit - he also works in construction. Sounds as if there's plenty of work!! I must say we were a bit nervous an worrying that wouldn't be any for him.

Thanks

Rubie

x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.