Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

got job interiew and now getting cold feet

got job interiew and now getting cold feet

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: got job interiew and now getting cold feet

Originally Posted by rain426
I am sure that its all perfectly normal. Its a huge 'life change' (I really hate that phrase for some reason), and everything like that will affect you to some degree.

Personally, for me at the moment my main worry is the flight (I am a bit of a nervous flyer). But then we are only in the first stages of our application. I am sure nearer the time that the butterflies may well turn into condors.

Good luck for the future though!

Ian
Don't worry about the flying thing, by the time you get your PR we will all be travelling like Dr Who.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:57 pm
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

I know how you feel i am leaving my families business after 18years to start my new life in canada, my parents have retired to cyprus, but i have my sister asking how i could leave her alone in the Uk and also taking her nephew away. I am going to a new life with very little security, working as an electrician which is completely different to the UK.To the place where temperatures going down to -30 (god we must be mad) I am fortunate that i am going to my wifes hometown where i already know people. Virtually every other day i think am i doing the right thing and every day i think this is what i want and could i live with the what might have been if i don't do this

Steve
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David P
Just wondered if anyone else has had the same emotions as we are having at the moment.

We applied for PR over a year ago and been hunting for jobs ever since. Suddenly get an interview in Kelowna and the enormity of what we're doing hits home.

Are we really ready to give up our comfortable life here for the uncertainty of moving to Canada?

What if we move and job falls through after a few months and we have to lcome back? We could never afford to come back to our town and the consant upheaval would affect the children and their education really bad.

How are we going to cope financially during the change? I'll be working in Canada and the rest of the family will still be here sorting out the move for a few months. That's two households to run and all the problems of being apart for quite a while.
What if we can't sell or rent the house here? We'll be real short of cash.

Trouble is we live in a beautiful part of Dorset, we have views of the sea from our house, the children have settled into school and made friends really well in the last year. I'm getting 6 weeks holiday and going back to 2 weeks feels quite hard.

We're all feeling eather stressed about it at the moment.

Just wondered if these were normal feeling at this stage in the proceedings?
Yes the feelings of stress are perfectly normal. But you are right to have such concerns about the situation. You seem to be in a good position already and I'd need a very good reason to give all that up. Make absolutely sure that your reasons for moving still stand up and that they have a solid foundation. If they don't then you should rethink. There are some areas of the UK that might be worth giving up for Canada but Dorset?
Old Mar 24th 2007, 3:02 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Are you feeling rushed, now that a job interview is on the cards and a potential move is upon you sooner than you are maybe ready for ??
Thats enough to cause a spate of the wobbly's ! Can you slow things down to a pace you are more comfortable with.?

We too, had a good life in the UK. We weren't unhappy, but got this idea in our heads, had an opportunity to do it and knew we had to follow through with it, or be forever wondering 'what if'.

We are approaching 2 yrs here, in May, and have had 'wobblys' here from time to time too ! We miss aspects of our UK lives for sure, but don't have any regrets.

Only you can decide if its the right time for your little family unit. Its not easy is it ?
Loads of luck xx
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondered if anyone else has had the same emotions as we are having at the moment.

We applied for PR over a year ago and been hunting for jobs ever since. Suddenly get an interview in Kelowna and the enormity of what we're doing hits home.

Are we really ready to give up our comfortable life here for the uncertainty of moving to Canada?

What if we move and job falls through after a few months and we have to lcome back? We could never afford to come back to our town and the consant upheaval would affect the children and their education really bad.

How are we going to cope financially during the change? I'll be working in Canada and the rest of the family will still be here sorting out the move for a few months. That's two households to run and all the problems of being apart for quite a while.

Trouble is we live in a beautiful part of Dorset, we have views of the sea from our house, the children have settled into school and made friends really well in the last year. I'm getting 6 weeks holiday and going back to 2 weeks feels quite hard.

Maybe brainstorm with your OH , family,good friends and come up with solutions that are workable for you all. It is sure stressful and the uncertainty of how things may turn out.

Believe that in the end you and OH will come up with the answers.
Best of luck.
Yoong
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:12 am
ARH
Forum Regular

ARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant future

Like Lonestar and you, my wife and I live in a beautiful part of Dorset - by the sounds of it we're not that far away from each other! Our life is comfortable too, so on the face of it why should we move - especially with a 3 year old and a baby due in May!

I have a firm job offer, which I have accepted and during that process I had some mixed feelings along the way. The biggest wobbly was the day after I accepted the offer - along the lines of 'oh what have I done?'. However both my wife and I are feeling really positive about the move now - especially after last weeks con trick, er, sorry Budget!

Our house is on the market soon, we're getting quotes for moving furniture over to Canada and everything is much more real. We're undoubtedly get more worries between now and August, but we keep telling ourselves it is for the best - for our children, for us and for me professionally.

I'd rather sit down when I'm an old man regretting trying Canada and it not working out, rather than regretting not going at all.

All the very best to you David P, and the rest of us going through the same as you.

Last edited by ARH; Mar 24th 2007 at 8:15 am.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

i wouldnt worry about these feelings, david p! we were in your exact situation back in 2004 when our immigration papers arrived--i myself was rarin' to go and so were my family i like to think, but my situation was slightly more complicated, coloured by parental manipulation/emotional blackmail and whatnot, and that was what really made me decide to pack it in and come back here; a very bad move, it now transpires!!
i would say much the same as other posters on here really--go back and look again at the reasons why you applied in the first place. looks like you've got it made where you are already (nice job, beautiful location to live in, out of the main heavily populated cities etc). was it for a change or are there stronger reasons why you want to move out?
in my experience, if you are moving just for a change, it will most likely not work out and you will be back here sooner than you know it!
you have got to have stronger reasons to move out, especially when everything is hunky-dory already just where you are; and the children's welfare has got to be sorted out as a priority--my kids were pre-gcse level when we went and they had a real hard time coping with the higher standards as compared to what they were learning here (ok, this could be a one-off situation; i am not saying that education ALL over canada is higher than the uk; thats the situation my kids were exposed to). so as well as the blackmail i mentioned above, there was also a slight nagging about the kids not being able to cope.
of course, now that i want to move back, kids say they want to stay here till uni is complete and then maybe think about going back!! see what i mean? it has set up a whole new range of problem that need to be surmounted now and our immigration is just over a year from being lost!!! whichever way you go, think long and hard. my gut feeling is you would be better off in canada as the uk aint going nowhere very fast--certainly not up!

Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ARH
I'd rather sit down when I'm an old man regretting trying Canada and it not working out, rather than regretting not going at all.
Ditto - our feelings exactly (but in my case, an old woman hopefully!! )

Should the whole thing go t**s up, we'll probably have lost a fair few quid, but I would not be too proud to come back home again. Having got this far, I think we would SO regret not giving it a damn good go ...
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
For Ann - Let your son know that he will be more than welcomed by the kids in Canada. He will make friends very quickly and will more than likely love his new school. Our kids settled in straight away (aged 12 and 16) and both love it here (including school ). If both mum and dad appear happy and confident about the move then he will feel more secure and his fears will start to fade

Good luck everyone
Thank you Yes-can-do - In our case it is a daughter - but I appreciate your comments - I know she will be fine once we get there - they both will. She is just so much more attached to school and friends than our 7 year old, so it is all a bit emotional and overwhelming currently. We'll get there. I must remember to try hard not to dismiss her feelings - I suspect we'll all be howling as we go to the airport !!!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

David P will become famous soon enough

Thank you everyone for your comments so far. Plenty to think about. We have calmed down a bit.

I am flying out tomorrow for the interview and to research the area for a few days. If I didn't go I'd always be thinking "what if?"
I've linked up with Brits2BC who have arranged for someone in Kelowna to show me around.
We'll then take it from there.

cheers everyone

David P
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Thank you Yes-can-do - In our case it is a daughter - but I appreciate your comments - I know she will be fine once we get there - they both will. She is just so much more attached to school and friends than our 7 year old, so it is all a bit emotional and overwhelming currently. We'll get there. I must remember to try hard not to dismiss her feelings - I suspect we'll all be howling as we go to the airport !!!
Hi Ann

Have you ever thought of hooking her up with other girls her age whose parents use this site ?

My daughter and mkmurrays daughter chat regularly on MSN - think it is good for them that there are others in the same boat - has certainly done Hannah good to have her little "friend" to chat thru things with.

Gaynor
x